PDA

View Full Version : Why not mow in winter?

jd75760
01-11-2007, 03:53 PM
What would mowing 7 or 8 more cut's per account do for your bank account?
Example: 1- 50 lb. bag of Annual Rye @ approx. $25.00 per bag x
30 account's = $750.00
8 cut's @ $35 per cut = $280 x 30 = $8,400.00 - $750 = $7,650.00 assuming you mow 2 time's per mth. Nov.,Dec.,Jan.,and Feb. I know this would not be possible everywhere, but I live in Tennessee and have mowed my own yard twice a month during the winter for the past 2 year's. Do a search on jd75760 and view pic's of my yard in Jan. 07. I do agree it's not fun mowing around all my Christmas lawn decoration's in December LMAO, but it beats sitting around watching TV. Price's were used for examples only. I know not every account will want their grass green all year, but for the one's that do why not offer it? Plus you can charge them for over-seeding! :clapping: :clapping:

lawnpro724
01-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Here in IL there is nothing to mow. It would be nice to mow during winter but think will have to wait another 15-20yr for global warming to make that possible.

tjsquickcuts
01-11-2007, 04:13 PM
30 account's = $750.00
8 cut's @ $35 per cut = $280 x 30 = $8,400.00 - $750 = $7,650.00 assuming you mow 2 time's per mth. Nov.,Dec.,Jan.,and Feb. I know this would not be possible everywhere, but I live in Tennessee and have mowed my own yard twice a month during the winter for the past 2 year's. Do a search on jd75760 and view pic's of my yard in Jan. 07. I do agree it's not fun mowing around all my Christmas lawn decoration's in December LMAO, but it beats sitting around watching TV. Price's were used for examples only. I know not every account will want their grass green all year, but for the one's that do why not offer it? Plus you can charge them for over-seeding! :clapping: :clapping:

Its already being done by a few LCO here, including myself....Every Mid Sept, I hit a few of my high-end, commercial, and newly built home with freshly laid turf thats not going to do much growing....But what I do is, I just add a additional $2 bucks per service, and tell my customers that its included in their program.....38 visit X $2.00 = $76.00....plus the extra visit during the winter....its a win win.....the $76.00 really covers the bag of seeds, and the rest covers the cost for me having to drag my aerator on/off the trailer.....

Total.Lawn.Care
01-11-2007, 04:15 PM
I am actually going to seed my yard with winter rye in for next year and offer it to all of my customers. I have several that I can probably include it in the pricing and most of my accounts I service year around anyway. But at least this way they will see that something is actually getting mowed.

dcgreenspro
01-11-2007, 04:16 PM
who wants to pay you for it???If you can find the clients, then go to it!!
But, you guys in the south should be doing this already. I used to help overseed the course i worked out down there while in turf school. The morning after we mowed everything with a reel mower (scarred up the seed and provided good contact w/ soil via roller). After a week or so, germination and green fairways.

Villa Lawn Maintenance
01-11-2007, 04:35 PM
We mow year round here. Unless the winter hits hard. Most of the time it is mild. 57 degrees today. Been over seeding winter rye for many years now. 95% of my commercial accounts are overseeded and around 65% residentials are overseeded.

tjsquickcuts
01-11-2007, 04:44 PM
The first two pics are of a lawn that was seeded in Sept....The natural the grass is Bermuda....Look at the neighbors....

The last two pics are of a lawn we seeded about two weeks ago....The first of the last two is the before, and the last pic is as of Monday.....So growing pretty good for just two weeks.....We also did the patio and blocks.....

jd75760
01-11-2007, 04:46 PM
good job Villa Lawn Maintenance. I think more lawn company's around here should over-seed in winter but most just seem to hibornate for 3 or 4 mth's. I don't have a lawn Business right now but if I do get another crew together they should plan on working 12 month's a year because while I would not lowball another company I would offer thier client's this winter service.

jd75760
01-11-2007, 04:49 PM
tjsquickcuts your pictures did'nt load try again

jd75760
01-11-2007, 04:57 PM
sorry tjsquickcuts your pics did load

tjsquickcuts
01-11-2007, 05:58 PM
here is one more.....trying to get all my photos organized.....so will try and post more....I just seeded their neighbors yard the day I took this pic.....They were jealous that their lawn was tan....the guy told me that his old LCO was cheating him because his lawn wasnt green....I just shook my head, signed him up for the year, and gladly accept his payment for the aeration and seeding.....I have a strange feeling that this guy is going to be a pain in the @$$, but I am sure I can keep him happy.....JD75760--while I am out servicing my Accounts with Rye, I am constantly having people stop by and ask what did we do, how can they get it done, and do we have room for another account.....I love being out on a Nice Saturday afternoon in the Winter Mowing....Its almost as good as going door to door....We get a lot of attention, and thats why I do it.....I know this one guy is going to be pissed, because I took 6 of his accounts that were in a neighborhood where I already have 33 people.....well now 39.....but they were all curious on why everybody on the other side of their street was still green, and their side was dormant and tan.....So I took the opportunity to hit them with a quick sales pitch, showed them a few pics, and whipped out the agreements so that we could get them signed up and on the Route.....

jd75760
01-11-2007, 06:08 PM
good thinking. keep up the good work. pics look good also did you do any of that landscaping?

tjsquickcuts
01-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Yeah, we did it all....The patio, blocks, mulch, and flowers....This was my first patio I installed....more pics in the Hardscape thread

jd75760
01-11-2007, 06:26 PM
glad to see you don't limit yourself by only offering mowing. The more you are able to do the better off you will be. I fill this will seperate you from the competition that doesn't offer these services. Good luck in 07! :clapping:

ed2hess
01-11-2007, 06:28 PM
The first two pics are of a lawn that was seeded in Sept....The natural the grass is Bermuda....Look at the neighbors....

The last two pics are of a lawn we seeded about two weeks ago....The first of the last two is the before, and the last pic is as of Monday.....So growing pretty good for just two weeks.....We also did the patio and blocks.....

You need to get the sulfate on this lawn to make it dark green....need to strip off the bermuda before seeding....do these have irrigation?

tjsquickcuts
01-11-2007, 06:34 PM
The home in the last few pics with the patio lawn was put down in Sept, and didn't grow much at all.....I overseeded it about 2 weeks ago, and we got a few really good rains, and with the fert it really start to germenate with the warm temps we've had lately....But thanks for the advice, never applied sulfate to a new lawn....GOOD or BAD?....But I cut it low and bagged everything just before we aerated and seeded the lawn.....It has pretty good growth for just two weeks, but I am sure it will take off after the second app of fert.....and yes the homeowner does have irrigation.

dwc
01-11-2007, 09:40 PM
here is a pic of mine I mowed today. (1-11-07) It is dormant bermuda overseeded with annual rye.

dwc
01-11-2007, 09:42 PM
here is one more

tjsquickcuts
01-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Looks good....It was funny today, because while I was about and about today, I decided to check in on one of my neighborhoods, and noticed that this other LCO that has a few lawns in the same neighborhood had seeded some of his lawns, I am assuming after seeing mine....I am going to get some snap shots of it tomorrow.....Its so unbalanced, and you can see where when it rained, all the seeds washed into on area....LOL....I just hope no one thinks its one of mine.....I was sorta pissed, because if you are going to seed, you have to make sure you put down enough......But that looks good, very thick....will post more photos tomorrow....

Mean Green Lawns
01-12-2007, 12:02 AM
The lawn from DWC looks great for being dead winter. What area is that in...

TJ..Do't take this the wrong way but.. The pics u posted look as if the yard is half dead freshly laid sod. whats with that?

the patio is made of 12" blocks from Home Depot probably $5 a sqft.( The cheapest material you can buy per sq ft)

The wall is made from cheap Windsor block also from HD

the mulch looks like single shreded low quality dyed woodchips out of the bag and just thrown in a area that wasn't cut out properly forming a poorly made flowerbed... U didn't even bury the drain pipe from the gutters properly

No offence but I hope you didn't do the sod as well because it looks as if t's about to die and was laid down in a bunch of clay dirt; not topsoil.

You're a nice guy and I am sure you do great work cutting lawns but that lawn and landscape looks like a hack job to me... I would never accept that and here in MI I would never get paid for those results.

jd75760
01-12-2007, 08:33 AM
This is a picture of my yard in January 07. I still mow about twice a week!

dwc
01-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the comments, I am in Oklahoma and the temps have been about 40-50 in the day and 20-30 at night. As the spring time comes it will look even better of course. It looks better this year than it ever has, finally figuring out some of the tricks to it.
It sure is the talk of the neighborhood!

rodfather
01-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Think I would rather plow snow to the tune of $200 an hour :clapping:

tjsquickcuts
01-12-2007, 10:24 AM
The lawn from DWC looks great for being dead winter. What area is that in...

TJ..Do't take this the wrong way but.. The pics u posted look as if the yard is half dead freshly laid sod. whats with that?

the patio is made of 12" blocks from Home Depot probably $5 a sqft.( The cheapest material you can buy per sq ft)

The wall is made from cheap Windsor block also from HD

the mulch looks like single shreded low quality dyed woodchips out of the bag and just thrown in a area that wasn't cut out properly forming a poorly made flowerbed... U didn't even bury the drain pipe from the gutters properly

No offence but I hope you didn't do the sod as well because it looks as if t's about to die and was laid down in a bunch of clay dirt; not topsoil.

You're a nice guy and I am sure you do great work cutting lawns but that lawn and landscape looks like a hack job to me... I would never accept that and here in MI I would never get paid for those results.

Thanks Mean, and there is no offense taken, but I do beg to differ on your comment.....YES They are windsor blocks... I order and either pick-up or have delivered all my pavers from the Pavestone Company....they are about 4 mins from my place which works out great, plus I think I might have paid $1 per block....ordered a few plates of each color.....Those are GARDEN BLOCKS also.....for their Garden underneath their deck....thats why they make them.....I had the right mind not to even post or reply back to such BS, but my left mind is making me post....As far as the mulch....LOL.....I pick-up by the scoop.....The spread is great, and there is a 2 inch depth.....and as far as the flowers, thats totally understandable if you are a landscaper.....I cut off all the heads once planted because I seem to have better growth, especially when planted so late in the season......and as far as the Grass, I know in Michigan they are no longer building, but here in Atlanta, they build year round and sod has to be laid even if its winter and the sod is dormant. Even if I had laid the sod, its still okay because its dormant Bermuda smart GUY and with a little 36-3-10, it will grow like crazy but I am sure you knew that, and just forgot......but in the winter it naturally turns tan......and as far as the lawn, it was seeded about 2 weeks ago from that pic....Not sure what planeted you are from, but I havent seen any lawn fill all the way in within a two week period....But thats just my 2 cent, I am sure you have though......Your post has really made my day.....people like you motivate me.....Oh yeah, and before you criticize someone else again, you need to go water 3 of the four lawns you have in your signature, because they arent looking too healthy....LOL :laugh: ....but thanks for your input.....oh yeah, and on a side not, here in Gawja, Red Clay rules, and I can tell you that there are not many builders and sod installers here n Gawja that buts topsoil down before laying sod.....smh @ you.....Learn you grass types, and get back at me....thanks

jd75760
01-12-2007, 10:32 AM
That sound's like the best choice for your area. We might get snow here 3 or 4 times a year, but it's never more than 2 or 3". We havn't had any this year so far. I guess you just to be willing to adapt to your area and try and make the most profit at that particular job. I think the point i'm trying to make is that there is work out there to be done in the winter if you are willing to do it. $200 an hour is hard to beat. Get it while you can. Thing's can change quick and life is to short.

walker/redmax
01-12-2007, 08:04 PM
30 account's = $750.00

Well, I would but my mower doesn't cut snow very well and I even if it did, I doubt that my customers would pay for that.

Triple R
01-12-2007, 11:29 PM
This one is of a hybrid bermuda over seeded with rye from last January. The bermuda came back very weak because of the rye.

I don't seed for free either. Every one pays, this one was about $150 for 2k of turf plus I still collect my regular monthly fee while the seed germinates. This acount will be getting a PITA rate increase this spring too.

Mean Green Lawns
01-13-2007, 12:48 AM
Triple r and dwc have some great pics. Those lawns look good for anytime of the year lol let alone winter.. Mind passing on those notes?

Look TJ I didn't mean to piss you off. If it were someone else I would have siad the same thing so please don't take it personal. All I ment was that I personally could never get away with that work is all. MOST guys here in MI don;t use top soil either and it drives me crazy because I always have to go back behind guys and explain to the homeowner why their grass is dying 6 months later. SEE MOST guys here in MI dont offer CUT and FERT ... NOT EVERYONE can just fert here in MI.. You must be licensed through the state unless you are just buying fert and a can off weed be gone off the shelf at HD... lol which wouldnt suprise me..lol Anyway, I AM Licensed by the Michigan State Department of Agriculture and a LOT of people here are HACKERS because they are NOT. It makes me sick.. LOW BALL ALL YOU WANT TO but at least know what the hell it is your doing..

Specially Irrigation idiots.. Dont even get ME STARTED!!!

Anyway... I understand you dont like what I have to say... but like it says below I guess I know where we stand now.... GL to you too