PDA

View Full Version : Small Residential Rig

MartinsMowing
01-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Hey guys, i am thinking about purchasing a trailer and a walk behind. I am also thinking of getting one of those fold down tailgate ramps, and putting the equipment in the bed. It is from tailgaterramps.com, someone else on LS is using one with a ranger. It would be a lot less hassle for me to get the ramp instead of the trailer. So i was thinking, i want a 36" deck and for late 2007 or 2008 season a 48". I called a dealer in my area that sells wright standers and the lengths on a 36 and 48" are 42 and 48 inches. Thats 7.5 feet. I could fit them both in the bed and not have to deal with a trailer. Im also thinking the standers would be a perfect match for small residentials. Any thoughts? Pro's Con's

Villa Lawn Maintenance
01-11-2007, 05:42 PM
A bad thing that comes with not having a trailer is your equimpment could be stolen easy. Cant lock up blowers, gas, weedeaters, edgers ect. in a pick up bed unless you have a shell.

MartinsMowing
01-11-2007, 08:19 PM
well i was planning to use lockable trimmer and blower racks. Keeps everything locked up and would not get in the way sitting on top of equipment in the bed.

T.E.
01-11-2007, 09:43 PM
A bad thing that comes with not having a trailer is your equimpment could be stolen easy. Cant lock up blowers, gas, weedeaters, edgers ect. in a pick up bed unless you have a shell.

Simply not true at all. Most all racks I've seen will work on a pickup bed.

MartinsMowing it is very doable. Later, Tony

oak1787
01-11-2007, 10:16 PM
see on much them ramps are? 800.00 wow:hammerhead:

MartinsMowing
01-11-2007, 10:35 PM
I found another ramp, www.rampconnection.com. Theres one on here for $540, almost the same weight capacity. If i go this route im definatly getting this one, it uses the hitch and does not need to be specificaly made for a certain truck. This way when i get a new truck, or sell it, there wont be any problems.

ed2hess
01-11-2007, 10:36 PM
You are on the correct track Justmowit has setups exactly like you want with all equipment with locks. He replace the bed of his truck with a set-up that had a ramp for around $1500 as I recall. You probably could get a welder to make you a set-up for less if you wanted to keep cost down.

Groh's Mows
01-12-2007, 03:49 PM
This fall I purchased an older Chevy 3/4 ton with an Eagle lift tailgate. It is rated at 1000 lbs. lift capacity and was used by a man with a vending machine route to transport pop machines. I only used it a little this fall, but it was great to haul a 36" Scag wb which weighs in at approx. 500 lbs. The truck hauls the Scag, a 21" mower, blower, trimmer, etc. with plenty of room but trimmer racks would be nice just for organization as much as anything. The down side is on yards where I bag & haul off clippings I have to load around equip then off-load and reload bags at subsequent stops. I'm thinking a headache rack would make it more versitile. Overall, the trade was more than worth it vs. towing 16' double axle trailer behind ext cab pick-up. Way easier to park and get around in some neighborhoods and can always find parking spot close to account.

newbomb
01-12-2007, 04:19 PM
For many years I used a full size p/u with 2 wooden ramps with Rampart tops on them. A 36 walk behind 2 21" push and weedeaters and blowers all fit. Very simple and lucrative. Some chance of theft though, just stay out da' hood.

PS A 32" or 36" walk behind is Ideal for this set up. Easy to load and unload and very managable weight. Riders and standers are very hairy on ramps. Walkbehinds that are narow enough to fit in the truck easily are great.

MartinsMowing
01-12-2007, 08:55 PM
newbomb, the ramp that i would be using is one peice. Its just like a trailer ramp, square tube framing and that metal mesh covering it. So i figure as long as the angle is not to great i shouldnt have any problems. I could walk right up with the mower, not have to straddle a gap between 2 ramps.

J&R Landscaping
01-12-2007, 10:33 PM
I don't see the point of the ramp. You said it would cost you $540 for the ramp correct??

Why not spend a few hundred more for a trailer. You can pull a 5x10 or 5x12 open trailer with a ranger no problem. You can put racks on the trailer if you would like to and then you will have the whole truck bed for debris or what ever else. It will look more professional, and IMHO, boost your productivity!!

I worked out of the back of my pick-up and it was ok to start but I hated it for the long term. Once I got my trailer, my life was much easier!!

MartinsMowing
01-12-2007, 11:00 PM
J&R, I havent found myself needing any more room for debris, and i have been using a minivan for the past couple of years. I have never gotten any of those kind of jobs, just maintenance. Actualy right now i would prefer not to get all kinds of different jobs, i prefer just maintenance. I need a fast and low overhead rig, i only have so much time with school.If i bag, i always leave the clippings there. This would be a great setup for me to be able to find parking, and avoid the hassle of a trailer. With a trailer i would have to worry about tires, greasing the bearings, finding somewhere to keep it. On top of that it would be $XXX ammount per month for storage, then i would have to drive to the storage facility taking more time.
p.s...i already have a F150

Thanks for your opinion though, i really appreciate it. Im looking for pro's as well as con's before i make a decision. Any thoughts on my reasoning above?

Thanks Guys! Keep the posts coming!
Chris

baja4wd
01-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Go with a trailer, just be sure to get the largest you can afford. If you get a 5 x 8 now, before the seasons end you will be wanting a 14'-16'. The more you work the less space you will have as you grow. Just my 2 cents worth. As for the storage and trailer maintenance, if you grease the bearings and take care of it, there will be very little $ in upkeep. Get your insurance, buisness license and other applicable items, then write the storage fee off as a deduction on your taxes. Good luck. baja

grass_cuttin_fool
01-13-2007, 11:25 AM
For what my 2 cents is worth......with a trailer, if your truck breaks down, you can either borrow or rent another truck to pull the trailer with. On a specialized truck with a lift gate and such, if it goes down you cant run out and rent one to put in service.
I have considered a dually pickup with a flatbed a few times myself for my operation, but it always comes back to a back up if/when it breaks down and I talk my self out of it lol.

wayne

prizeprop
01-13-2007, 03:35 PM
You said your going to school?How many lawns per week do you cut? If your part time and do under 35 lawns a week, I would go with the tail gate ramp. If you expand or go full time just upgrade to a trailer. You will still find a use for the gate and it wont be a loss. I'm tinking about getting one for bringing my crew a replacement mower if one goes down and drop the broken one at the mower shop. As of now I have to hook up the spare trailer do do that. Also, I dont know how many times I brought equipment home to my house and used dangerous plank ramps.Ps. its not unproffesional looking and I would stay away from a Stander unless you try going up the ramp before purchase , Ive seen my buddy drive one up a steep trailer tailgate and I thought he was going to roll it backwards. Good luck.

MartinsMowing
01-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Well, so far the most i had was 20 accounts, done with my snapper 21" and a minivan. If i got a stander i would most likely load or unload without standing on it. Also, i dont think that it would be much of a problem for a stander. I just pulled a 4x8 sheet of plywood out of my garage, and set it on the edge of the tailgate. The ramp is 8ft, same as plywood. I got out a protractor and measured, its a 20 degree incline. My F150 is 2wd btw and to the top of the tailgate from the ground is 38.5".

mbricker
01-13-2007, 06:17 PM
I have considered going with a lift or ramp on the pickup. There are some neighborhoods here with fairly high-end homes and very tiny lots. It is nearly impossible to park a truck/trailer rig in these neighborhoods without blocking a drive.

btw, I agree with prizeprop about the danger in taking a stander up a ramp that steep.

Potchkins
01-14-2007, 01:56 AM
get a trailer...

dhardin53
01-14-2007, 10:49 AM
been using a small 5x8 for 6 years now and pushed it all I could.I just got a 16' and think Im going to love it. Im making a set of foldup ramps right now.
go for he largest trailer you can aford. you wont regret it.

It been my experence that any ramp into a truck is usualy way to steep for most riders. for a truck u will need a 10' ramp or better in my opinion. then I feel its so high if you have any problems geting on the ramp stright, look out a spill of a ramp 20 to 24" high is not good. Most trailer are only 10 to 14" high.