PDA

View Full Version : Ferris belt drive transmission questions

hotrodsnapper
01-11-2007, 06:14 PM
I am looking at a ferris with a messed up transmission. I have not seen it in person so I can't judge very well what is going on inside. Are there any common problems with these transmissions that are repairable?

Also is there any way to rebuild this unit?

I wish I had the model numbers to post. It is a 48 inch fixed deck with a Kawasaki single.

Thanks

Restrorob
01-11-2007, 06:36 PM
If it's a Peerless 4 or 5 speed it's cheaper to replace the whole trans, They can be picked up between 200 and 250.

There will be a aluminum model number plate on the trans. right where the top case bolts to the bottom case in the center. You will need those numbers for parts or a complete replacement.

hotrodsnapper
01-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the info, Rob.

What typically fails inside the case?

I just got done ordering the parts for the 15.5 OHV Briggs you advised me on a few months ago.

Restrorob
01-12-2007, 12:05 PM
The input shaft needle bearings and shift keys typically, But in some cases the shaft bushings also. In most cases when the input shaft bearings fail they are not caught soon enough, Then the input pinion gear and mating bevel gear receive damage and need replacing also.

hotrodsnapper
01-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Thanks again man!

I think I'll open up the case, I'd hate to drop $200 on a tranny for a $200 mower. But then again, that's why it's a $200 mower!