PDA

View Full Version : Odering Equipment from the States

Vikings
01-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Has any Canadians either went to the states to buy equipment or even have it delivered?

I'm talking about Walk Behind mowers even ride ons. I'm wondering about the feasibility of taking a day trip down to North Dakota and how much money I would save (if any). It's just that our dollar is pretty close to the Americans and the prices they talk about, that THEY are paying, is LOW.

instyle
01-12-2007, 01:03 AM
I just bought a walk behind. I had it shipped from Las Vegas. I went through www.freightcenter.com, shipping was cheap. I would do it again, I am not sure how much you will save if you drive.

I know when it came to honda, the mowers and tillers were half the price, but they had no warrenty, and for the little bit of money you save, I am unsure how benifitial it would be. But yes it is cheaper in the states.

You will have to pay the GST at the border, and duty. depending on where it was made you have more duty.

Vikings
01-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Awesome. did you order it online like at an amazon.com site? if so, link please:)

lawnpro724
01-13-2007, 02:15 AM
Go to Alamia.com they have good prices on commercial equipment and free shipping.

instyle
01-13-2007, 11:29 AM
no i bought it off ebay.

cantoo
01-13-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm only 2 hours from the Michigan border so I buy quite abit of stuff there. I go to J.Thomas several times per year. I've bought lots of parts and tires but never anything real big. I pay duty at the border but they don't even check so if I lose a receipt or two they never notice. I work over there sometimes and am over for several days so I can legally bring more back without duty. When you ship stuff you have to have a broker at the border this adds to the price. Not sure how far you have to drive but it's still worth it sometimes. We're going to Florida in March for bike week and taking a 20' trailer. We'll likely bring a bunch of stuff back home because we'll have room. Some stuff just isn't available in Canada.

Vikings
01-13-2007, 08:57 PM
I live in Winnipeg so its only a few hours to the giant metropolis of... whatever city is in North Dakota.

Potchkins
01-14-2007, 02:00 AM
GST...? , duty...? please explain

Dunn's
01-14-2007, 02:47 AM
Yeah us Americans don't know what the H#!! your talking about.

Rhett
01-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Viking if you live in Winnepig two hours will put you in the thriving city of Grand Forks. Been years ago but do not remember that many equipment dealers.

dhardin53
01-14-2007, 12:01 PM
A friend of mine sold a large farm tractor on Ebay to a guy in Canada. You have to have every bit of durt off the machine. The Canadians will not let ANY durt. mud, grass from the US into Canada.

I have found you can not give a Canadian anything from the US. The canadian resident has to pay a duty tax on everything comeing to them. and I was told its a hassel for them some how. Im not for shure just what its all about.

I sent a net tractor collecter friend a cover for a allternater I had. when sending it the US postal mail, I filled out a form of decleation. And I said the idem cost nothing. It came back to me refused by the Canadian boarder. I had to re send it declairing it to cost $5 then it was delivered.