PDA

View Full Version : Trailer advice needed!

4curbappeal
01-11-2007, 10:33 PM
One year into the busuness and I have already outgrown my trailer! I have an '06 5x10 Big Tex open trailer. I need atleast 6.5x 12 OR 14 maybe with a curbside gate?? My problem is I have a Roll-On Stripng Sulky on one of my wb's which brings it's length to about 7' 6". My other wb has a Bull Rider style velke and it's length is about the same. Angled a little I know i could get them both on a 14 footer. Anyone have any ideas? Any idea on how much I could sell the 5x10 Big Tex for? I can't really come out of pocket more than about $600. Any ideas or help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
01-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Raise the sulkys on your walk behinds.

bamaone
01-11-2007, 10:42 PM
I have a 6x16 and 6x14. I got the 6x16 first and added the 6x14 couple seasons later to be my medium maintenance trailor. I now wish i had 2 6x16s.
My 6x14 holds my tiller, 2 21" mowers, 60" Z, with trimmer racks etc., misc. gas cans, topsoil bags.
My .02 would be to get the largest trailor you can.
Good luck

KrayzKajun
01-11-2007, 10:44 PM
My .02 would be to get the largest trailer you can.
Good luck

I agree! I have a 6x16 and a 6x14, im ready for a 7x20 now

KS_Grasscutter
01-11-2007, 10:45 PM
One year into the busuness and I have already outgrown my trailer! I have an '06 5x10 Big Tex open trailer. I need atleast 6.5x 12 OR 14 maybe with a curbside gate?? My problem is I have a Roll-On Stripng Sulky on one of my wb's which brings it's length to about 7' 6". My other wb has a Bull Rider style velke and it's length is about the same. Angled a little I know i could get them both on a 14 footer. Anyone have any ideas? Any idea on how much I could sell the 5x10 Big Tex for? I can't really come out of pocket more than about $600. Any ideas or help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Well, you have made the too small trailer mistake once, don't do it again. Get a 6.5x16, or better yet, 7x16. Even 18 long. You WILL grow into it. I know I will be upgrading trailers in the next year or so, because my 6.5x12 is getting to be too small.

I am still undecided on whether or not to get a side gate. I may, so I will be able to put my 21" in the front crossways, but in a lot of cases they are too steep for a ZTR.

grass_cuttin_fool
01-12-2007, 06:22 AM

I agree with mow pro and raise the sulky up on the walkbehind. I would get nothing less than 16 foot if you do move up in size

wayne

LawnTamer
01-12-2007, 09:26 AM
6x16 is a very nice size. Typically they are dual axle, whereas a 6x14 is easy to find in a single axle. Unless you have a whimpy truck or don't plan on adding any new equipment, I would get the 16'.

LB1234
01-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Try and find used trailers. I've gotten two used trailers for 3k each. One is an enclosed trailer 7.5x20' the other is a 7.5x18' enclosed trailer.

IMHO, its not worth selling your smaller trailer as you would not get that much for it. AND what you get for it is not worth what it can do for you. We still have our 6x14' single axle open trailer. We used it maybe 3-4 times this year when we had problems with the other trailer. So it makes a great backup trailer for emergencies.

We are also contemplating making it our pesticide trailer by throwing a pump on there with a container for all of the pestcide storage. We'd probablly have to add another axle but I think this would be cheaper than buying new.

Anyway some food for thought is all. I know you say you don't have the money but you always seem to need bigger than what you have.

lawnstriper23
01-12-2007, 12:17 PM

Did you figure out a price for the 5x10 Big Tex? If the price is right I might be interested.......

GG386
01-13-2007, 01:36 PM
Personnaly I've narrowed my trailer selection down to a 7' wide by either 16 or 18' length (enclosed). I will require the 10,000# torflex axle set up because some of the materials that I haul are heavy and weather sensitive.
My question to the team is - which brand?

Some of the models I've been looking at:
Haulmark- Grizzly or Kodiak
Wells Cargo
Horton Hauler
Pace American

There's a s**t load of brands out there, any past experience or suggestions?
One thing, I won't be replacing this thing for awhile, so the build quality and looks is primary.

T.I.A.

Potchkins
01-13-2007, 05:19 PM

what kind of tow rig do you have?

tthomass
01-13-2007, 07:03 PM
I've got a 7x16.......just holds tillers, saws, power washer.........its my equipment storage building on wheels really. I know we don't have the same needs but listen to what they're saying and get as big as you can. Sure you can buy what you "need" but say 3 months later you have a new need the requires a new piece of equipment, where you gonna put it? No you dno't need a 28' trailer but if 14' is what you "need" I say go at least 16'. If you don't need the extra space you will in the future and in the mean time you'll have some extra wiggle room.

Potchkins
01-13-2007, 10:34 PM

one more thing how wide are each of your WB's

lawnpro724
01-14-2007, 11:30 PM
I have a 6"x16 and 5"x 10 and they work fine for now but I would suggest buy the biggest trailer you can afford.