View Full Version : RainCad

BanksPower
01-11-2007, 11:49 PM
Is anyone using this software?
www.raincad.com

Is it worth the price?

PurpHaze
01-12-2007, 09:37 AM
I use RainCAD Suite 9 (has both the irrigation and landscaping components) and it's one of the most versatile tools for performing CAD of various things. I use it for total irrigation system design and material take-offs, landscape plans and other plans that require true scale. I also use it to do unscaled "documentation" drawings, zone maps of entire school sites and for our contract specification drawings. The best thing about any CAD program is that when changes are made in the field it only takes a few minutes on the computer to make those changes and reprint the plan. We use an HP "large format" printer for our drawings and it does an adequate job.

The best part of the program is the "hatching" command where you can fill in areas such as sidewalks, driveways, buildings, etc. to make the drawing more pleasing to the eye and a better representation of the plot plan.

As with any computer program there is a "learning curve" as to how to use the program but it's very useful once you understand what can be done with it. The tweaking of the supplied manufacturers' databases to serve your specific purposes takes some time but is well worth the results.

If you want to PM me and supply an email address I'd be happy to send you a couple of designs so you can better see what I'm talking about. I'll send them in PDF format so they can be viewed with Adobe Reader instead of a CAD viewing program.

Mad Estonian
01-12-2007, 12:26 PM
PurpHaze, did you have to take a course to learn CAD originally (or would you recommend it, if not?). Thanks.

BanksPower
01-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Thank you for replying. My email is landscaper_1968@yahoo.com I am very interested in the exact program that you have and all info would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

PurpHaze
01-13-2007, 12:00 PM
PurpHaze, did you have to take a course to learn CAD originally (or would you recommend it, if not?). Thanks.

I originally drew up designs the old way on a drafting table. I took a couple of classes on drafting (years ago) so by the time I switched to CAD irrigation designs I knew what I was looking for in a completed design. I'm pretty much self taught on the RainCAD program. The program comes with tutorial practice sessions which actually take you step by step on a design. As with any computer program the more you use it the better you get because you start to understand the overall concept better. My first design drawings were pretty basic but as I gained more experience I started including much more detail. RainCAD also has super web based support and they've never failed to get back with me on any question in a timely manner.

PurpHaze
01-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Thank you for replying. My email is landscaper_1968@yahoo.com I am very interested in the exact program that you have and all info would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Banks,

I'll pull a few of the better ones off my backup discs and send them your way this weekend. I'll include all the info I have on the program.

BanksPower
01-13-2007, 12:56 PM
PurpHaze,
Thanks for taking the time to send the info.