PDA

View Full Version : Honda HRC216HXA, Purchase help please??

dirtforlife
01-11-2007, 11:49 PM
Hello,

I'm in the market for a new self propelled mower. When do the 07's come out? I was looking at a HRX217HXA, but I heard so much bad stuff about having to use your thumb on the controls that I decided to look into buying a commercial mower from Honda. I haven't seen the HRC in person, it doesn't have the thumb controls, right? From Honda's website, it doesn't appera to have the thumb controls. I thought about getting a commercial mower because I have to cut about 2 acres once a week. Ditches, houses, fences, trees, takes a good 3 - 4 hrs to cut the grass and trim. Cutting season starts in around March and ends in around November where I live.

What's a fair asking price from a local dealer, MSRP is $1,129.00? I live in GA.

Worth the money?

Thanks

dirtforlife
01-12-2007, 12:09 AM
I do also own a riding lawnmower with a 46 in cut and 2 other self propelled push mowers. One is a rear self propelled which I like, the other is a front self propelled that I am retiring. I really don't care for the front self propelled mower I own, the rear mower pulls better. They are both low end mowers.

Thanks

dirtforlife
01-12-2007, 07:50 AM
TTT, To the Top, Thanks

JFGLN
01-12-2007, 11:11 AM
I think I paid $1059 for the last one.

dirtforlife
01-12-2007, 05:49 PM
I think I paid $1059 for the last one.

I checked around at my local Honda dealers today. The 2 stores I went to both sell them for $999.00. Seems like a pretty good deal.

Pros and Cons about the mower?

Thanks

ed2hess
01-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Honda is a good little machine don't worry about the controls lot of homeowers use them, even women so you won't have any problem.

saw man
01-13-2007, 12:08 PM
The HRX you mentioned doesnt have thumb controls, only 2 models have it(HRR216VXA, and the HRX217VKA)

I would suggest you buy the models they have now before you get too far into spring, Nothing is really changing on the new models but prices will be going up. $1,169.00 is new retail

Good machines!

P&C Lawn Care
01-13-2007, 01:07 PM
DO NOT buy the HRR model with thumb controls. I have one and it was a mistake to buy. I bought it for my kids to mow at the house and no one likes the thumb controls. It is a good mower but the HRC's hydrrostat's are the best.

ed2hess
01-13-2007, 01:45 PM
It is a good mower but the HRC's hydrrostat's are the best.

I am curious why you like the hydro Honda....compaired to older units that had the driveshaft and gear box? The reason I ask is that I never had any probllems with the gear boxes?

joed
01-13-2007, 01:49 PM
I just bought the honda commercial 21" last November. It was a leftover model and the dealer had it on sale for $500 off list price. I used it on a couple of final cuts and it is a very nice mower. The hydro tranny is sweet, much like the automatic in a car. It bags great and the bag empties directly into the paper yard waste bags we have to use in this neck of the woods. Only drawback I found was the controls. You have to keep the lever that has the yellow button for the BBC up against the main bar for the entire time you are mowing. It's o.k. on a straight path but very awkward on turns, all of the times, the bar would slip out. So, I used a bungee cord to keep that bar in place and now it works well. I am looking forward to seeing it in the spring. I also own a toro proline 21" mower and between the two, I like the toro better because it's more ergonomically designed and mulches better. It's only drawback is that it does not bag as well as the Honda and its bag is cumbersome to empty.

saw man
01-13-2007, 09:08 PM
I am curious why you like the hydro Honda....compaired to older units that had the driveshaft and gear box? The reason I ask is that I never had any probllems with the gear boxes?

The hydro unit still uses the drive shaft and "gear" box. It is a hydro assy. but still same basic design.

dirtforlife
01-13-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm going to buy the HRC on Monday. I checked out the thumb control mower in person and i could see where the thumb control would be annoying. I'm going with the commercial.

Thanks

ed2hess
01-13-2007, 09:55 PM
The hydro unit still uses the drive shaft and "gear" box. It is a hydro assy. but still same basic design.

I guess you got more speed control correct....infinite as opposed to my two speed gear shift?

Hansen1784
01-14-2007, 04:32 AM
Unless the HRX with the hydro tranny changed for 07, it uses the same controls as the HRC. I've used both and they're both nice mowers. If this is just for your home, the HRX is a lot lighter and is less expensive.

saw man
01-14-2007, 09:59 AM
I guess you got more speed control correct....infinite as opposed to my two speed gear shift?

Exactly.

Unless the HRX with the hydro tranny changed for 07, it uses the same controls as the HRC. I've used both and they're both nice mowers. If this is just for your home, the HRX is a lot lighter and is less expensive.

They have not changed for 2007, and the control are the same as the comm. unit.

McCarty'sLawncare
02-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Hey all I love my HRC216HXA the good is it cuts like a dream. Hmm the bad is when you get into the thick turf on mine is slows it down alot even on full speed. I'm still trying to figure out a way to make it quicker. Dont know about everybody else but this speed problem has a mind of its own. Where would I find the hydro fluid at? I figured its next to the hydros when u open the plate but havent seen it. A dealer reccommended to me I should use 10w30 Amsoil Synthetic I might change to that tommorow mower has around 40 hrs on it. My rpm's are at 3300