PDA

View Full Version : thinking about a new truck!

mike lane lawn care
01-12-2007, 11:20 PM
can anyone give me some feedback on this truck? dodge 1500, looks good, and could easily tow my little trailer.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=214789977&dealer_id=52304046&car_year=2000&num_records=25&start_year=1998&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=32&fuel=&search_type=used&distance=50&make=&color=&min_price=&body_style=TRUCKS&drive=&default_sort=priceASC&max_mileage=&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceASC&address=01240&advanced=y&end_year=2007&doors=&transmission=Automatic&max_price=6500&cardist=47

tthomass
01-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Take it for a test drive. Ask for records or transimission service.

When you test drive it put it on the floor from a roll and a stop. Does the tranny hesitate shifting from 2nd to 3rd.......is there any slipping etc.

Look over the front end.......ball joints.

There are your two concerns.

Something you'll hear and perhaps don't want to......keep your options open. You can get a '02 Chevy at that price. Newer engine, better tranny......

DBL
01-12-2007, 11:27 PM
what happened to you grandfathers f 250

mike lane lawn care
01-12-2007, 11:50 PM
what happened to you grandfathers f 250

for the time being he's gonna keep it, he wasn't going to, but now he is. Even though he has nerve damage in his leg from diabetes, and can't use the clutch well, he's gonna keep it until he can no longer drive it safely. which, unfortunately, isn't too far away. I was just looking at my other options, i'm kind of getting tired of the van, sure it's a great truck, and is solid, but it just isn't very cool.(yes i know i'm materialistic) Also, after only an inch of snow, i've determined that it isn't a practical berkshires winter handler. I would also like the power of the V8, and the bed for doing things like mulch and leaves.

My only opstical is, i'm 17, and i can't take a truck out on a test drive until i'm 18, should i just push for the test drive anyway? I can get probably a $2500 trade in on the van (5x what i paid for it!) and that would lower my out of pocket expenses. i would borrow the rest from mom, and pay her back.

I don't want to go over $6500 as of now, as it is an ammount i'd be able to pay off quickly, and in the event of a bad season, i can still make the payments, with "me" money left over.

mike lane lawn care
01-13-2007, 12:12 AM
anyone use carfax? i entered the VIN's of my van, and the truck i was looking at, into the free report thing, and i found mine has 14 documents, and the dodge has 4. I am thinking about getting the unlimited VIN lookup for $25

tthomass
01-13-2007, 12:46 AM
You don't have to be 18 to test drive. You may though be required to have a parent present. Besides, nobody is just going to give you the keys and let you take it for a spin by yourself.

Except once a dealer let my younger brother and I test drive a new Mazda 6 with sports package......."their mother is with them , they're harmless"...yeah right.

LawnTamer
01-13-2007, 11:27 AM
A much better choice than your last. My guess is that you will get many years out of this truck, and even if you end up replacing something major you would still be thousands ahead of buying the new "toy truck" you were looking at.

JJLandscapes
01-13-2007, 12:13 PM
bring it to a mechanic you know give them $20 and they will put it on the lift in 30 seconds let you know if the truck is garbage or not

they can tell if it was in an accident and what parts where replaced.. Carfax tells you that the car "has been in an accident" thats all it doesnt tell you if it was a near loss and 10k in damage or if it was a fender that got hit and cost $500

it also only tells you accidents that where reported to insurance and everyone knows alot of accidents dont get reported

i have atleast a dozen family members and relatives in the car business i have some knowledge and been through it all

mike lane lawn care
01-13-2007, 12:25 PM
thanks guys, i called them, they are open on monday, so i think a little drive up there is in order to check it out. they are a full fledged dealer, and if i were to decide to buy the truck(won't be monday of course) they take care of setting up insurrance, registration, and inspection. Plus they can give me a price tag for the van in 10 mins.
it's a little less than an hour away, and i'll take a mechanicaly smart friend with me to do some on the site inspection. they also said that if i wanted they'd put it up on the lift for me to take a quick look at.

mikes landscaping
01-13-2007, 12:50 PM
umm, didnt you say it was a 1500? The link is to a extended cab 2500. just wondering?

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Not trying to be a the killer of a dream here; but even though that is a beautiful truck, 120,000 miles is a lot for that generation. If you are wanting to upgrade because of towing capacity, don't under estimate your van. I had a 1989 s-10 with a 4.3 and would routinely haul 7 yds of mulch great distances without having any mechanical problems out of it whatsoever. I know the van might not look as professional as a new f350; but if its getting the job done, making you money, and it's paid off, I think it would be a mistake to take on another payment. If you want to spend some money on something, buy some racks for your trailer so it would be easier to haul around hand tools. If you want to increase your accounts, spend your cash on some new equipment(ztr). Before long, you'll be able to buy any truck you want.:usflag:

RedMax Man
01-13-2007, 02:35 PM
That truck looks great for the amount of miles. My Dad has a 98 1500 that looks exactly the same inside and out that i sold to him until he gets a 3/4 ton truck. Ours has only 50k and i had it up here for sale and then he desided he wanted it. I'll let you know if when we sell it if your still looking.

LindblomRJ
01-13-2007, 03:00 PM
In all honesty I would keep the van.

With the van you can keep your tools secured, the 4.3 is a good engine in that setup, and you can tow a small trailer without any trouble. For the type of work you do I think the van is almost ideal.

RedMax Man
01-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Oh, I just remembered... didn't Wizzkid say that vans are great professionals afterall wouldn't you want to become a pro like him.:laugh: :hammerhead: just get a pair of ramps for the mowers.

not attempting to get another thread ruined, it just came to mind.

Potchkins
01-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Not trying to be a the killer of a dream here; but even though that is a beautiful truck, 120,000 miles is a lot for that generation. If you are wanting to upgrade because of towing capacity, don't under estimate your van. I had a 1989 s-10 with a 4.3 and would routinely haul 7 yds of mulch great distances without having any mechanical problems out of it whatsoever. I know the van might not look as professional as a new f350; but if its getting the job done, making you money, and it's paid off, I think it would be a mistake to take on another payment. If you want to spend some money on something, buy some racks for your trailer so it would be easier to haul around hand tools. If you want to increase your accounts, spend your cash on some new equipment(ztr). Before long, you'll be able to buy any truck you want.:usflag:

i'll second this motion

but a few more things to think about

1. the fuel mileage in a gas dodge sucks
i bet u get 17-20 in the van
2. the idea of a ztr would make you more profitable
thus be able to afford a diesel, or a newer truck, or both

Dirty Water
01-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Mike, You should listen to Dave Ramsey.

Cash is king! Don't go into debt if you don't have to.

mike lane lawn care
01-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

I was told that the 2000 generation dodge 2500's had some issues with transmission lonegetivity. I get about 13MPG in the van, and 18MPG highway. Maybe a good tuneup would help.

I have an evaporitve emissions leak in the van, and depending on how much it costs to fix for an inspection, will determine the me keeping it or not. the dealer wanted about $500 for it, but i might try and fix it myself, as i have someone who knows how. I just added some weight to my van, so now i'll be able to tell how well it does compared to 4wd, as tomorrow, there is supposed to be a big ice storm moving in a few hours before i get out of work.

tthomass
01-14-2007, 12:10 AM
If you're looking to haul bulk material I would ditch the van. Depends on what direction you want to take your business. How is the van holding up from an appearance stand point?

twj721
01-14-2007, 12:46 PM
I had the new truck fever till my wife asked me if I remebered the Bobbett case from a few years back and I said yes she said really would hate to hear about another case like that but if you buy another truck right now You might read about a simular case along the same lines except it was because the husband had new truck fever .OMG!!!

Petr51488
01-14-2007, 04:46 PM
117,000 is a lot of miles. You're better off spending the money now for a truck than buying beaters with over 110k miles on it. Eventually you'll be putting more money into fixing it than it's worth. What ever happened to the brand new canyon? Buy yourself something that you would like to keep for a while. Look into the new chevy 1500's. I'm sure you can get a good price on a reg cab or ext cab with a long bed for a good price. If it was me, and i were using the truck as my only vehicle i would buy a new truck.

mike lane lawn care
01-14-2007, 08:19 PM
If you're looking to haul bulk material I would ditch the van. Depends on what direction you want to take your business. How is the van holding up from an appearance stand point?

i won't need to move bulk material too often, i can take 2 yards of mulch on my trailer with the sides, pump up the air shocks in the van to level it out, and i'm set. But i would like the option of the pickup, plus it's ability to just "pick up"(get it, a play on words) anything at anytime, without having to go and get the trailer.

The van is very, very nice looking, well for a van. The paint is shiney, no rust, and the rims are blinding in the sunlight.