PDA

View Full Version : Timer Question

lawnman_scott
01-12-2007, 10:27 PM
I have a sprinler system in a home we bought in april. It had a bad pump, and we just put a new one in. It is on a point well and hooked directly to a breaker.

This system hasnt been run for at least 10 years so all I am keeping from the what was here is the well, and some piping going under concrete.

When I bought the timer I got a 6 zone with a pump hookup. I looked at the old wiring and couldnt figure why there was no wire to the timer for the pump. A few beers later I figured out that the reason for this is that it is hooked to the breaker and the valve will open and the pump will run automatically. If it was a pump that has a wall plug in it would have wires to go to the pump connection on the timer.

So the question is: Am I right about the pump, and can I still use the timer that has the connections for the pump? Will it still work right with nothing connected to those connections even though there is always pressure at the pump? Thanks.

Jason Rose
01-12-2007, 11:48 PM
If I follow you correctly, you will need to pick up a pump relay switch. This will control the pump via the 24v signal wire fron your controler. Generally they can be found for around $35 already assembled in a weather tite box.

Repairs
01-12-2007, 11:51 PM
A pump can either be set up to run off a pump start relay, and mastervalve terminal on the controller(commonly used if the pump is only running the irrigation), or can have a pressure switch setup independent from the irrigation system. It sounds like their original pump had a pressure switch, and pressure tank to turn the pump on an off. To answer your question, yes the clock will work fine, but the supply line to the control valves will need to be full time pressure via pressure tank and switch.

lawnman_scott
01-13-2007, 12:03 AM
A pump can either be set up to run off a pump start relay, and mastervalve terminal on the controller(commonly used if the pump is only running the irrigation), or can have a pressure switch setup independent from the irrigation system. It sounds like their original pump had a pressure switch, and pressure tank to turn the pump on an off. To answer your question, yes the clock will work fine, but the supply line to the control valves will need to be full time pressure via pressure tank and switch.
Thye are at pressure. There is a pressure tank. There is also a spickett to run a hose off of and if you turn it on the pump kicks in. I just wanted to make sure that the timer will work with nothing hooked to the pump connections. I beleive it has a pressure valve too. Is that the thing that keeps the water from draining back down the line into the well? Located right before the water gets to the pump?

Jason Rose
01-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Thye are at pressure. There is a pressure tank. There is also a spickett to run a hose off of and if you turn it on the pump kicks in. I just wanted to make sure that the timer will work with nothing hooked to the pump connections. I beleive it has a pressure valve too. Is that the thing that keeps the water from draining back down the line into the well? Located right before the water gets to the pump?

Ahhh, well you could have mentioned the pressure tank in your first post, lol. would have saved me from looking dumb.

Anyway, I'll be in St. Pete the 17th thru the 22nd this month. I'll be on the look out for ya, lol.

lawnman_scott
01-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Ahhh, well you could have mentioned the pressure tank in your first post, lol. would have saved me from looking dumb.

Anyway, I'll be in St. Pete the 17th thru the 22nd this month. I'll be on the look out for ya, lol.sorry about that. I normally do minor replacing heads or cracked lines. My brother put the pump in, thats not really my specialty. I didnt really give it much thought until it was mentioned.

Repairs
01-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Let her rip. You dont need a signal wire from the controller, or a pump start relay. Just send voltage to the control valves and you will be good. There should be a check valve downstream of the pump, with a pressure switch on the constant pressure side of the check near the pressure tank, and a pressure relief valve piped somewhere in the mix.

lawnman_scott
01-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Let her rip. You dont need a signal wire from the controller, or a pump start relay. Just send voltage to the control valves and you will be good. There should be a check valve downstream of the pump, with a pressure switch on the constant pressure side of the check near the pressure tank, and a pressure relief valve piped somewhere in the mix.Yes, there is a check valve too. The pump was bad and we are just getting to working on the lawn. My brother helped me with the pmub, I dont know much about them.

Thanks for the help everyone. It is up and going. Basically had to eliminate everything that was in the ground. The house was owned by a guy who just liked to go to work, come home and drink. I think alot of this stuff was done by friends he met at the bar.
There is a section along the drive way about 40-50 feet long and 3 feet wide. Side strip sprinklers you think? Oh hell no. 2 big rainbirds that are adjustable one on each end. Problem is, they had them going 180 degrees, watering the driveway, the other side of the driveway, and the tiny part they should.

PurpHaze
01-14-2007, 09:26 AM
There is a section along the drive way about 40-50 feet long and 3 feet wide. Side strip sprinklers you think? Oh hell no. 2 big rainbirds that are adjustable one on each end. Problem is, they had them going 180 degrees, watering the driveway, the other side of the driveway, and the tiny part they should.

Bet he had the best watered driveway in the whole area. :laugh: