PDA

View Full Version : How do you build a leaf vacuum machine?

AlleganyLawnCare
01-12-2007, 10:59 PM
I was wondering if anyone ever built their own leaf vacuum machine. I have a removalable leaf box on my trailer, but I want to add a vacuum system to it. I got a pretty good idea on how to do it, but I need to know more about the fan blade operation part. How good (how tight) does the vacuum box have to be around the blade in order for it to operate effeciently? 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch, or something like 5/8s inch clearance around the blade? Or can it be more? Should the inlet port (the suctioning part) be placed at an angle as it enters the chamber, or can it lead straight into it? I know the blades have to be angled, will be a pain making, but can do it.

If you have made one, does it work pretty well? Or did you give up and buy a mfg one?. If it works, do you have any written plans you would be willing to share (or sell?). Any pointers will be seriously appreciative.

I figured, since I got plenty of down time at the moment, I can do this, so it would be ready in the near future.

Thanks!

Mean Green Lawns
01-13-2007, 12:56 AM
look at how a mfg one is made and do the same thing..

JRS Landscaping
01-13-2007, 09:07 AM
ive seen people transforn a wb blower to a leaf loader

Vikings
01-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Someone told me they used a snow blower as a leaf collector, I find that hard to believe though.

AlleganyLawnCare
01-13-2007, 02:47 PM
look at how a mfg one is made and do the same thing..

I agree with you 100%. I really do. It would make the job a whole lot easier and faster. But I don't know if I have easy access to one, epsecially where I can reverse-engineer it.

mbricker
01-13-2007, 04:06 PM
If you are planning to fabricate this whole thing yourself, I would recommend you at least buy the impeller from a name manufacturer. You will probably have it turning somewhere in the neighborhood of 3000 to 4000 rpm. Your skills as an engineer and fabricator are probably not sufficient to make a safe impeller, or you more than likely would not be in the lawn business.

No offense intended, this really is not a safe project for most of us.

cantoo
01-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Buy a used one with a blown motor or other damage and rebuild it. You could also build a truck if you had time but what would it look like and how safe would it be. I built alot of stuff so I have made this mistake before. I have learned that it's much smarter to start with something and improve it than it is to invent it from scratch.

mikes landscaping
01-13-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm thinking of building one too. Me and my dad have a old snowblower which we have thunk about using and a old w.b. blower that will work. He is really the one who wants to build it.
-Pete

mosmgras
01-18-2007, 10:28 AM
I was thinking of fab'n one last year. I looked at purchasing the impeller from the manufacturer and fab'n the rest. In the end, I bought a used billygoat 13hp for around the same as it would have cost to make it my self.