PDA

View Full Version : Polaris ATV work...

Willofalltrades
01-13-2007, 02:40 AM
This fall I went ATVing in Maryland. I got the audacities to enter a mud hole I knew was deep. The ATV high centered and stopped mid way through. I gun it and rock it back and fourth to unstick myself. This works and I get the machine moving in the mud. I let off the throttle because someone was yellin something at me. When I got on it again the motor bogged down to around 1500 RPM (estimating) and I was barely moving. Next thing I know blue smoke starts pouring out of the clutch housing. Yet I make it out. I take it up and down a road near by and the belt grabs just fine. My conclusion... I got water into the housing and the belt started to slip while I was in the hole.
So Yesterday I pulled the plastics off to the side and removed the housing cover. From there I put a completely new rubber seal ($10 from polaris) around it and seal it back up. Heres pics. of me in the mud, and how I fixed this little leak so that when I take it out tomorrow to go mudding again I don't need to worry about water in my clutch. Has any lawnsite reading member performed this operation? How did it all go over?

By the way, this is a 2001 Polaris Xplorer 400 4x4. Its a 2-stroke utility with more get up and go than my 2002 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. Both ATVs have way under 1000 miles (around 500) so you know they are in their prime (except for the tires, theres a lot of road riding, new ones in spring). Anybody own a Polaris? Opinions?

Please excuse the lack of a helmate, I removed It so It didn't get dirty (I ride safe).

FearThisDeere
01-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Very sweet! I am looking at buying a 1996 Polaris Trailblazer 400 2wd. Any opinions Willofalltrades? You seem to be a Polaris guy. I hear that the belts can cause some trouble. Was this the first time the belt has givern you problems?

Tim Wright
01-13-2007, 01:36 PM
No but I just bought a Suzuki King Quad 450. I have not had it mudding yet, and probably won't until I know I can replace it if necessary. I bought it for plowing snow.

Tim

cantoo
01-13-2007, 03:33 PM
We just got done loading up a 400 Scrambler that we just sold. It was getting worn out and wasn't even useful as a back up machine anymore.
We still have a 91 Yamaha Warrior (bought new and now just a spare) 2003 Suzuki Eiger and a 325 Polaris Trail Boss. We want to get another Eiger but 4 wheel drive. I didn't like riding the polaris it's just too wide because of the clutch. The Eiger seems like a really good machine.

Willofalltrades
01-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Very sweet! I am looking at buying a 1996 Polaris Trailblazer 400 2wd. Any opinions Willofalltrades? You seem to be a Polaris guy. I hear that the belts can cause some trouble. Was this the first time the belt has givern you problems?

Depending on the condition of the machine and the price it might be a good buy. If it has the same motor as mine (2-stroke 400cc) you will be able to pull the front end up no problem, its a fast machine. I have never had a problem with a belt. A friend had a 1994 trail boss (I think) 300. Last year he took the thing apart to inspect the clutch and belt. The belt was like brand new, and it was 11-12 years old. I did have a clutch go on my Sprotsman 500 while I was using it to plow snow. That stunk, but I got a service technician from a polaris dealer to do it at his house. Yes that was the first time the belt slipped but its 5 5-6 years old. I replaced the gasket and went out riding last night. Its so flooded here it felt like I was riding a jet ski (2-3 feet of water on the trails). not one problem the entire night. Also, the pics look like it was a pain in the ass to do, I was suprised, I had the damn thing back together in an hour and a half. Let me know what happens as far as you lookin at the 400.

Petr51488
01-14-2007, 02:37 PM
One of the wonders of my honda. No belts...

nmez21
01-14-2007, 03:17 PM
I've got a 95' Polaris Xplorer 400 4x4. It has always run well. Only one problem I've run into is when a neighbor stepped on the plastic cover that covers the belt and housing. The plastic cover was touching part of the housing made an incredibly loud rattling noise whenever running. I think it was about $75 to repair it. It has since happened again and we just threw a wooden wedge (door jam) underneath it to support it and it runs and sounds just fine. Overall a great machine w/ great power.

Bayrat
01-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Never been in any mud but it is great for what I need it for.

stuffdeer
01-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Never been in any mud but it is great for what I need it for.

Those are Sweet. But aren't the rear wheels chain driven?

Personally, I'd choose the Arctic Cat SxS or the Yamaha Rhino.

Polaris wouldn't be my first choice for anything. Seen to many things go wrong with them. However, you can beat the plush ride on them.

bob
01-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Just got this,

FearThisDeere
01-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Depending on the condition of the machine and the price it might be a good buy. If it has the same motor as mine (2-stroke 400cc) you will be able to pull the front end up no problem, its a fast machine. I have never had a problem with a belt. A friend had a 1994 trail boss (I think) 300. Last year he took the thing apart to inspect the clutch and belt. The belt was like brand new, and it was 11-12 years old. I did have a clutch go on my Sprotsman 500 while I was using it to plow snow. That stunk, but I got a service technician from a polaris dealer to do it at his house. Yes that was the first time the belt slipped but its 5 5-6 years old. I replaced the gasket and went out riding last night. Its so flooded here it felt like I was riding a jet ski (2-3 feet of water on the trails). not one problem the entire night. Also, the pics look like it was a pain in the ass to do, I was suprised, I had the damn thing back together in an hour and a half. Let me know what happens as far as you lookin at the 400.
Thanks for the reply. I am probalby going to get it. It is in perfect shape. It is an auto, so i don't have to worry about a clutch, even though a manual tranny is more fun. The price is right for me: free! I am trading my car trailer for it which is worth around $1600 or so. I am not afraid of getting my hand dirty working on it. Whenever I mention Polaris all I hear is belt this, belt that. My uncle has a 7 year old 500 that he beats the crap out of and has never has a problem.

Bayrat
01-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Those are Sweet. But aren't the rear wheels chain driven?

Personally, I'd choose the Arctic Cat SxS or the Yamaha Rhino.

Polaris wouldn't be my first choice for anything. Seen to many things go wrong with them. However, you can beat the plush ride on them.

Chain driven? Not hardly, this machine has automotive-like differentials and everything is coupled with drive shafts. A machine will perform well if you take care of it. I have owned both Cat and Polaris and don't see one more trouble free than the other. But that comes only from my personal experience.

I did look at the other brands but unfortunately they are a bit to golf cart like for me. By that I mean they simply do not have the cargo carrying capacity or width of the Polaris 6x6.

Bayrat
01-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Bob,

What did the windshield and soft cab sell for if I may ask?

bob
01-15-2007, 09:37 AM
Bob,

What did the windshield and soft cab sell for if I may ask?

All my options are added as one total on my invoice, but I beleive the soft cab was around $680, the windsheild was around high $400's, and the wipers were $299.

stuffdeer
01-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Chain driven? Not hardly, this machine has automotive-like differentials and everything is coupled with drive shafts. A machine will perform well if you take care of it. I have owned both Cat and Polaris and don't see one more trouble free than the other. But that comes only from my personal experience.

I did look at the other brands but unfortunately they are a bit to golf cart like for me. By that I mean they simply do not have the cargo carrying capacity or width of the Polaris 6x6.

Ah, Ok. Shafts are good. My neighbor up north has the ATV version of the 6x6 (ATV front end with additional set of tires) and both sets of rear tires are driven from chains. Its most likely a 95 or a 96 though.

loborojo338
01-15-2007, 04:20 PM
Just got this and LOVE IT!!!Sportsman 500 H.O. Browning Edition
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c191/loborojo338/Picture044.jpg

Bayrat
01-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Nice looking machine! The Polaris has the automatic front axle traction lock, something the others had to play catchup with. Much the same as my 6x6 when I choose to not be in just four wheel drive, I can set it to automatically kick the front wheels in if needed.

Willofalltrades
01-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Ah, Ok. Shafts are good. My neighbor up north has the ATV version of the 6x6 (ATV front end with additional set of tires) and both sets of rear tires are driven from chains. Its most likely a 95 or a 96 though.

The green machine at the begining of this thread is chain driven, whats so wrong with it?