PDA

View Full Version : What is the advantages of a Walk behind over a Zero turn mower?

Mirror7m
01-13-2007, 03:04 PM
I am looking into buying an Exmark Turf Tracer HP THP19KAE483 , It is the 48 inch deck with a 19HP Kaw engine. I currently have a Gravely 60inch deck zero turn . I would like to know the advantages of a walk Behind over the Zero Turn. And also would like to know who has a Exmark Turf Tracer HP THP19KAE483 and how do you like it .

jacob land and
01-13-2007, 03:06 PM
more exercise

Mirror7m
01-13-2007, 03:14 PM
more exercise

I will get the StandOn kit for it.

RedMax Man
01-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Exmark Turf Tracer HP is a very popular mower and yes there are many advantages to having a walkbehind.

Better stability on hills
less weight which meens less damage to the turf
costs less to maintain
easier to get underneath and change blades
better trimming in small areas
... just to name a few.
Each type of mower has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Runner
01-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Lighter weight, greater mobility, easier (and greater) maneuverability, portability, cost, and the fact that you can do things with a wb that you would never even attempt with a Z like dropping in down into ditches, and working certain hillsides. Anything else? :)
If you're looking into the Exmark TT HP, you might as well save your time and effort and stop right now - because you will be hard pressed to find a nicer unit for that form of use. The machine is nothing but awesome. I have a friend that has two among all his mowers, and they have been superior to all the other wb's he's had in the past.

Mirror7m
01-13-2007, 03:22 PM
What I am mainly looking for is for the mower to cut better then the Zero turn I have now . If it is the best choice to do I will be going and ordering one on Monday so I want to hear from as much people the advantages. Also is the 19hp Kaw engine big enough for the 48" ?

mow & snow
01-13-2007, 04:49 PM
I've always used a wb, for the reasons already listed. My weapon of choice is a Ferris 52" hydro with a 23hp kaw and a 2 wheel velke.

John Gamba
01-13-2007, 05:23 PM
What I am mainly looking for is for the mower to cut better then the Zero turn I have now . If it is the best choice to do I will be going and ordering one on Monday so I want to hear from as much people the advantages. Also is the 19hp Kaw engine big enough for the 48" ?

There is less weight on the front wheels on the walk. The deck doesn't work as hard to lift the front tire grass up to cut like on the heavier riders.

Case closed. The walk wins. Oh 19 is more then enough for the 48" deck.

lazer 46
01-13-2007, 05:32 PM

I've owned many a TTHP and have always had 15 or 17hp. They have been great. I always like more power but you have to always be realistic as to how high the grass is to be cut.

jrc lawncare
01-13-2007, 05:35 PM
I am looking into buying an Exmark Turf Tracer HP THP19KAE483 , It is the 48 inch deck with a 19HP Kaw engine. I currently have a Gravely 60inch deck zero turn . I would like to know the advantages of a walk Behind over the Zero Turn. And also would like to know who has a Exmark Turf Tracer HP THP19KAE483 and how do you like it . We only use wbs, s I can't comment on ride on z-turn. We have two tthps, one 17hp & one 19 hp. Look no further, you will be very happy. Especially with the electric start, I wouldn't be without it. I hate pulling those engines over. Here's a pic of one of ours.....:) http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/jrservices/newmower.jpg

Mirror7m
01-13-2007, 05:40 PM
We only use wbs, s I can't comment on ride on z-turn. We have two tthps, one 17hp & one 19 hp. Look no further, you will be very happy. Especially with the electric start, I wouldn't be without it. I hate pulling those engines over. Here's a pic of one of ours.....:) http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d25/jrservices/newmower.jpg

What kind of Standon Kit is that ? Is that the Exmark brand they sell ?

jrc lawncare
01-13-2007, 05:56 PM
What kind of Standon Kit is that ? Is that the Exmark brand they sell ?No, It's an aftermarket one that we had fabricated, we have two of them. I've heard the standon unit is pretty good, albeit expensive, but looks very well made. I may try one in the near future.

John Gamba
01-13-2007, 06:06 PM
No, It's an aftermarket one that we had fabricated, we have two of them. I've heard the standon unit is pretty good, albeit expensive, but looks very well made. I may try one in the near future.

It works extremely well and hangs out of the way when not in use.

Proline52
01-13-2007, 07:01 PM
In regards to the Kawasaki 17 hp option vs. the 19 hp option on the 48in TThp, can anyone explain what Kawasaki did to get 2 more hp out of that engine when both are the same cc (585cc) and have identical bore and stroke measurement (2.91 x 2.68)? Is the $400.00 difference (list) mainly for the electric start and a tweaked exhaust system to get the additional 2 hp?

John Gamba
01-13-2007, 07:05 PM
In regards to the Kawasaki 17 hp option vs. the 19 hp option on the 48in TThp, can anyone explain what Kawasaki did to get 2 more hp out of that engine when both are the same cc (585cc) and have identical bore and stroke measurement (2.91 x 2.68)? Is the $400.00 difference (list) mainly for the electric start and a tweaked exhaust system to get the additional 2 hp?

Carb -----

Mirror7m
01-15-2007, 01:37 PM
6,250 out the door with the Mulching Kit and Standon kit.

MTR
01-15-2007, 02:26 PM
I have '01 TTHP with 52"/17 kawi, it 's been 3 years since I have it, over 1000 hrs of use since I bought used in 2004. I love the mower, it is the best walkbehind in the market for me, very well balanced especially the ecs, can't say enough about it.
You will be happy with 48/19 but I hate eXmark new mower price. I got my 52" for $2500.

pjslawncare/landscap
01-15-2007, 02:57 PM
We mow many road fronts with mean ditches, hills and lake sides that I wouldnt even think of putting a rider on. Walk behinds are far more stable and safe on these conditions. If all our accounts were flat I would own more riders for better production, but for what we mow, walk behinds rule.

Failghe
01-15-2007, 11:39 PM
i have been wanting that machine for a long time, finally got it Exmark Turf Tracer HP THP19KAE483 mulching deck, jungle wheels, used only a few saturdays. but divorse forces sale could save you some money if interested. it is fantastic, very fast to learn the ecs controls, goes through thick grass awsome, very nice cut. hills no problem.

Envy Lawn Service
01-15-2007, 11:58 PM
If I were in better health I'd want a walkbehind or stander.

But beyond just me personally... here's my beef with walkbehinds...

6,250 out the door with the Mulching Kit and Standon kit.

Now that's just crazy.
I just can't recommend one to anybody unless for some safety reasons or other limiting factor they MUST use one. I can't recommend it because it's just not cost effective.

2 clowns mowing
01-16-2007, 08:17 AM
buy a rich mfg mower you get a rider and walkbehind all in one:hammerhead:

John Gamba
01-16-2007, 08:29 AM
buy a rich mfg mower you get a rider and walkbehind all in one:hammerhead:

Do you have one??

Mirror7m
01-16-2007, 09:59 PM
I got the Exmark Turf Tracer HP THP19KAE483 , with the 48 inch deck with a 19HP Kaw engine. It is so much different then my Gravely 60" ZTR. It will take a couple lawns to get use to it.

Mirror7m
01-16-2007, 10:00 PM
i have been wanting that machine for a long time, finally got it Exmark Turf Tracer HP THP19KAE483 mulching deck, jungle wheels, used only a few saturdays. but divorse forces sale could save you some money if interested. it is fantastic, very fast to learn the ecs controls, goes through thick grass awsome, very nice cut. hills no problem.

Can you take pics of the Jungle wheels I have not seen them before.

DeereHauler
01-16-2007, 11:08 PM
i have both, but you won't find me standing or walking on a 600,000 sq.ft. property i mow.

fiveoboy01
01-17-2007, 12:28 AM
If you're looking into the Exmark TT HP, you might as well save your time and effort and stop right now - because you will be hard pressed to find a nicer unit for that form of use. The machine is nothing but awesome. I have a friend that has two among all his mowers, and they have been superior to all the other wb's he's had in the past.

I agree. I have the TTHP 48/19 and I love it.

Mirror7m
01-17-2007, 12:31 AM
I agree. I have the TTHP 48/19 and I love it.

Question for you . I just got the unit . Where is the Hour Meter ?

Mirror7m
01-17-2007, 12:32 AM
i have both, but you won't find me standing or walking on a 600,000 sq.ft. property i mow.

I have a 60inch Gravely ZTR for those type of jobs. I am brand new and just getting into the lawn business. Now I have all the stuff I need. I am going to get my Business cards tommorrow . And have meeting with a couple places for accounts.

fiveoboy01
01-17-2007, 03:07 AM
Question for you . I just got the unit . Where is the Hour Meter ?

The TTHP mowers do not come with hour meters.

I installed my own though. Just ground one side of it, and find the wire that is hot with the key on, and splice the other side into it so the meter has power when the key is on.

I think it's stupid though. These machine's maintenance schedules are determined by hours, so why the hell would you produce one WITHOUT an hourmeter?

fiveoboy01
01-17-2007, 03:10 AM
If I were in better health I'd want a walkbehind or stander.

But beyond just me personally... here's my beef with walkbehinds...

Now that's just crazy.
I just can't recommend one to anybody unless for some safety reasons or other limiting factor they MUST use one. I can't recommend it because it's just not cost effective.

Well, that price is a little high.

Mine(identical to that model), purchased in June of '06, costed me $ 5800. This included tax. And that was the mower, exmark's standon, 3 sets of blades(high lift), and a couple of oil filters.

And I did not even try to mess with the price. The guy gave me the price and I didn't argue. Which was stupid, but I didn't know there was any wiggle room. But I did try to get him to throw in some extra stuff, which he did for free(blades and filters).

Envy Lawn Service
01-18-2007, 01:10 AM
Well, that price is a little high.

Mine(identical to that model), purchased in June of '06, costed me $ 5800. This included tax. And that was the mower, exmark's standon, 3 sets of blades(high lift), and a couple of oil filters.

And I did not even try to mess with the price. The guy gave me the price and I didn't argue. Which was stupid, but I didn't know there was any wiggle room. But I did try to get him to throw in some extra stuff, which he did for free(blades and filters).

Oh, don't get me wrong... there's a lot to like about a walkbehind.
Well there is in my opinion anyways.

About 2 years ago I just inherited and heightened state of awareness about the cost effectiveness of machinery. So what I have a problem with is the price differential.

I mean if you have to have a walkbehind, you have to have one. But on the other hand if it's not a MUST... well just let me use this example that comes to mind....

Throughout most of 2006, I can think of at least a half-dozen name brand 48" commercial ZTR's that could have been picked up in about AnyTown USA in the same price range.... and I'm not even taking stand-on machines into account.

Unless they are a MUST, to me it's just really hard to justify the cost.

But I tell ya... if I had my way.... and could have the health and the route for it, I would probably run a dang new 48" fixed deck belt drive walkbehind out of a little converted Toyota U-haul. Either that or good used hydro floaters.

fiveoboy01
01-18-2007, 01:15 AM
I do agree with you to a point Envy.

Seems that the WBs are priced pretty high for what you get and in some instances, a Z can be had for the same price.

At the time I was green and probably would have recieved a better price. OR, had I had more knowledge about machines, I probably would have purchased a Z instead.