PDA

View Full Version : Sutech Stealth - Anything Good on Newer 33" Models

jonble
01-13-2007, 04:42 PM
There are a lot of negative comments at www.lawnsite.com about the Sutech Stealth lawnmower. My sense is that they come from landscapers that use their $2200-$2800 mowers for many hours.

I know the Sutech 33" model has made some changes in the last 2 or so years with its problematic slipping belts and pulleys, as well as a 13 HP OHV Briggs & Stratton INTEK Engine, etc. Would any users of the newer Sutech mowers PLEASE comment if you like this machine & WHY---handling, performance, quality, etc.

I hope there are some good things other than its $500+ lower price tag than its competitors such as Billy Goat, Redhawk/Bradley, and Quick 36. It's for use only at my home for about 9000 sq. ft. of dry (afternoon) mowing conditions in New England. About 1/3 of the grass is on a slight incline (not a hill), but given yard layout I mow back & forth along the incline as oppose to up & down the incline. Mowing now takes about 60-75 minutes with a cheap (now junk) 21" MTD Yardman.

I am only considering the higher cost Sutech machine to get my lawn done quicker with 2 very young sons to spend time with versus an also considered 21" deck (e.g., Toro or Lawnboy at about $450-$600). I am not considering a tractor because of no storage place.

Though I am most considering the Sutech because there is a leftover from the 06' season that is NEW at a local dealer for a total of $1280, including the 33" with recoil engine, steel bagger, gator blades, tax & delivery. While this is a very good cost for the Sutech, it doesn't matter if the machine stinks.

Also feel free to leave comments about other 28-33" decks that I might want to consider & why in the $1500 range (perhaps "Worldlawn" mower). I say $1500 because after a bagger, tax, and setup the total will reach about $1800-$2000, or $500-$700 more than the Sutech.

Thanks for any comments for a somewhat confused newbie.....

mbricker
01-13-2007, 05:10 PM
If you think a 33" wb is going to save you enough time to justify $1500 or so expense, I would recommend the Troybilt WideCut. Troybilt got bought out by MTD, but they don't appear to have made any changes in this machine. (unlike the Troybilt lawn tractors)

This machine has 2 overlapping blades that cover the 33" cut, and with a mulch cover snapped over the discharge, the mulching performance is superior to any other multiple blade machine that does not use special mulching baffles under the deck. (keeping in mind that you can't mulch thick 6" high grass successfully with most any machine) Another handy feature that is not shared by many other small wb's is the crank to quickly raise and lower the cutting height. Also, the Troybilt has very small, almost toy-like front casters, which allow a very short wheelbase, and contribute a lot to being able to get into small spaces. They have 4 speed forward + reverse, a transaxle not a hydro.

The tab with bag is going to be about $1500. I think they can be ordered by your local Lowe's, if no one in your area stocks them. I have used this mower commercially for about 7 years, on lawns that would be too small for other wb's over 21".

KS_Grasscutter
01-13-2007, 06:12 PM
If you think a 33" wb is going to save you enough time to justify $1500 or so expense, I would recommend the Troybilt WideCut. Troybilt got bought out by MTD, but they don't appear to have made any changes in this machine. (unlike the Troybilt lawn tractors)

This machine has 2 overlapping blades that cover the 33" cut, and with a mulch cover snapped over the discharge, the mulching performance is superior to any other multiple blade machine that does not use special mulching baffles under the deck. (keeping in mind that you can't mulch thick 6" high grass successfully with most any machine) Another handy feature that is not shared by many other small wb's is the crank to quickly raise and lower the cutting height. Also, the Troybilt has very small, almost toy-like front casters, which allow a very short wheelbase, and contribute a lot to being able to get into small spaces. They have 4 speed forward + reverse, a transaxle not a hydro.

The tab with bag is going to be about $1500. I think they can be ordered by your local Lowe's, if no one in your area stocks them. I have used this mower commercially for about 7 years, on lawns that would be too small for other wb's over 21".

Well, they made ONE change, that being that it is unfortunately no longer made. I would buy one if they were still around:(

Mowingman
01-13-2007, 06:23 PM
They are still available with no major changes for the worse. Now sold under the Cub Cadet name. I just ordered a batch for our store to sell. Really not a bad machine at all for light commercial use, although they are sold by Cub as a residential mower.

KS_Grasscutter
01-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Tey are still available with no major changes for the worse. now sold under the Cub Cadet name. I just ordered a batch for our store to sell. Really not a bad machine at all for light commercial use.

Ok, I never knew that. My bad. So it is the exact mower, only yellow and black? Hmmm... I think I will have to get one this summer!:)

Jason Rose
01-13-2007, 07:47 PM
None of MTD's websites show the Widecut as still being produced in any color. Not to say that they're not out there NOS.

I wouldn't wish a Sutech on my worst enemy.

Iv'e seen other 33" machines out there though, not sure that any are as affordible as the old troybilt. I think maybe the billygoat is about in the same price range though. I have a 33" widecut, actually this is my 3rd one. The first two were not worn our nor broken when I sold them either. (added that for the skeptics that assume they are just crap)

Mowingman
01-13-2007, 08:30 PM
It is new in the lineup this year, so is not yet on the websites. We should have ours in stock by mid Feb.
Also new, a line of commercial duty handheld equipment, and a new gear-drive 32" commercial walkbehind.

timturf
01-13-2007, 08:56 PM
jonble,

I would go for it!

I cut 10 lawns weekly,~2 acres, 35x/season with a sutech, and for the price very happy. Not good on slopes, I have one lawn with a steep slope, is difficult with this mower.

Also have the troybilt 33, doesn't lift the grass well above 2.25" cut, sutech gives a much better cut.

All I use for mowing, but considering the quick 36, really for the slope lawn

Don't think you can buy troybilt for the price of the sutech you received.

sikagrass
01-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Have had one for the last year and have cut a lot of yards with it. Has been very reliable and still starts up on the first or second pull and does a good cut.You can probably cut your 9000 in about a third of the time. Thats the good. The bad is its going to make you real strong if that slope is too steep.Any chance you can do a demo on your property?

timturf
01-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Have had one for the last year and have cut a lot of yards with it. Has been very reliable and still starts up on the first or second pull and does a good cut.You can probably cut your 9000 in about a third of the time. Thats the good. The bad is its going to make you real strong if that slope is too steep.Any chance you can do a demo on your property?

YES, do a demo first, or don't buy it!

Jason Rose
01-13-2007, 10:06 PM
It is new in the lineup this year, so is not yet on the websites. We should have ours in stock by mid Feb.
Also new, a line of commercial duty handheld equipment, and a new gear-drive 32" commercial walkbehind.

Humm, I wouldn't call it "new" as 4 or 5 years back the same mower was branded cub cadet while it was still branded as troybilt. There used to be one floating around town. Plus we used to have a cub cadet dealer in South Hutchinson and I remember looking at one there one time. Reguardless, I'm glad to see that MTD saw some potential in the little 33" widecut and didn't totally wipe it off the map.

Liquidfast
01-13-2007, 10:06 PM
I have a sutech stealth and I would recommend one. They sure as heck are better than ANYTHING you would buy from Sears or Home Depot. Ours has stood up to some serious abuse. We use it in particular at a customers house that is just shy of an acre. 1/4 acre could be used as a mogul hill for snowboarding if there were an incline.....this place is pure bumps and we slam that sutech thru that portion like theres no tomorrow and I can honestly say it holds up well.

This things munches on small tree branches etc....I have seen one other landscaper with one in the past three years and we both gave the thumbs up....actually, we gave the thumbs up and yelled (as we passed by) "NICE SUTECH"....I guess he took it the wrong way and flipped us off LOL.

Definetly not a bad machine.

jonble
01-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Now that's what I'm talkin' about-----thanks timturf, sikagrass, and liquidfast for reading the original posting to the Sutech thread and sticking to topic. I do appreciate it and hope that more feedback will come as indicated from the start.

I am sure I just upset some who kindly wrote in before, and I’m sorry for that.......Just hoping to hear some more positive Sutech opinions, if they are out there.

Someone elsewhere also suggested I demo the machine so I’m glad you confirmed that it is not unheard of. He even suggested that if the machine is running/moving, but the blades are disengaged to not crap up the deck, that this would preserve its saleability if it was no good for me. BUT I HIGHLY DOUBT THE DEALER WILL GO FOR THIS. First, he probably feels he is losing his shirt on the deal even though he'll do the deal to get it off his floor. Second, the total package of $1280 includes a $75 setup delivery (15-20 miles) charge to me. I guess I could gamble and pay that JUST to see if the machine works on my slope. Then if it’s a beast, I just pay $75 and move on. I still don't think the dealer is going to want that hassle and liability in this instance anyway. Trying it at the dealer is not helpful if the mowing conditions are not similar.

Timturf-you wouldn't buy it if I couldn't demo at my home----that is how concerned you are about the slope???

What makes the Sutech any more difficult to move on slopes than any other 300 pound 28- 33” belt driven mower? Aren’t all similar ones a pain on slopes? I know the more expensive hydrostatics move easier. Or even something like a more expensive Exmark.

Nevertheless, this slope may not be what you landscapers consider a "slope." It definitely is not steep, and you all might not even consider it a slope. But I can feel the incline a bit even with the 21” I used as I mowed back & forth ALONG the incline as oppose to up & down. I think that is mostly because my junk Yardman began to self-propel less and less, almost becoming a push mower.

If this is the only true negative that you all see, and it sounds like that is the case, is it ever possible to post here (or email to someone personal) a picture of my backyard indicating the mowing area and "incline." Incredibly, there is still no snow out there here in New England. If a picture is OK (timturf, sikagrass, others.), let me know and I'll post my email so you can send your email address there rather than post here.

By the way, though I am looking for positive qualities of the Sutech, Jason Rose ---please explain further what you mean when you write “I wouldn't wish a Sutech on my worst enemy.”

Any other mowers to consider at this price point (besides Troybilt) such as Worldlawn or others that are worth the extra $500 or so? I am not a rich guy though. I was, for a short time, thinking it might make sense to get a used machine that if new would be more expensive than the Sutech. But I have had some bad luck with used machines in the past, and the warranty is also reassuring for a couple of years.

THANKS ALL!!! And please keep the replies comin’. I do appreciate the insight.

bcg
01-13-2007, 10:58 PM
I posted the below on a previous thread about Sutechs. The one I have is an '05 model. We use ours only for overgrown lots now. It excels as a brush hog and can take some abuse but it's going to give that abuse back to you. Personally, I prefer mowing with a 21.

From the previous thread -

Sutech is belt drive, not Hydro. I've got one I bought this spring because it was @ $1000 less than anything else with the same size deck but there's a reason for that. You hear a lot of negative about them but nobody really gives any reason(s) as to why they think the suck so much so here are the problems I've had and why I wouldn't get another -

1 - Adjusting the deck height is a complete PITA. It takes literally 10 - 15 minutes with 2 people.

2 - The blades that come with it are a PITA to sharpen. They're serrated so the only way to get a good edge on them is to hand sharpen with a file. Gator makes replacement blades though that work OK.

3 - It mulches but not well in moderately thick grass. You WILL have a windrow if you're cutting more than about 1" - 1.5" off the grass (I mow only St Augustine).

4 - It EATS belts. Expect to replace the deck belt every 40 - 60 hours. Seriously.

5 - It doesn't turn itself like a Toro or eXmark, you have to manhandle the thing. You WILL be worn out at the end of the day if you mow with it and you will not want to ever mow a ditch with it.

6 - The gas tank is way too small. You can only mow about 3/4 acre per tank.

7 - There is no reverse assist. Think about that before going down a long, narrow side yard where you can't turn around.

8 - Replacing the drive belts requires you to drop the axle on 1 side. It's a 45 minute job minimum.

I regret trying to save money by buying this thing. You should spend the extra cash on a well known brand like Toro, eXmark, Gravely, etc. They are much better mowers and work for you instead of you having to manhandle them all day.

Jason Rose
01-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Sorry for not "sticking to the topic" but the Sutechs SUCK. Outside of the few people here that have had some nice words about them I have NEVER met anyone that liked them even a little. My reasoning for going to the toipc of a different brand of machine was to merely open up more options for you in the way of user friendly machines.

Myself, Iv'e only ran the Sutech around for a few seconds. That was a few too many. Biggest cluster F of a machine Iv'e ever seen... Controls are totally backwards on the handles making it very hard to make it stop and go even. I'm sure that BCG is correct with the rest.

Liquidfast
01-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Sorry for not "sticking to the topic" but the Sutechs SUCK. Outside of the few people here that have had some nice words about them I have NEVER met anyone that liked them even a little. My reasoning for going to the toipc of a different brand of machine was to merely open up more options for you in the way of user friendly machines.

Myself, Iv'e only ran the Sutech around for a few seconds. That was a few too many. Biggest cluster F of a machine Iv'e ever seen... Controls are totally backwards on the handles making it very hard to make it stop and go even. I'm sure that BCG is correct with the rest.

R U sure it was a Sutech??? If I remember correctly, you press one lever down and then tap the other two to make 'er go. I know it's not a great machine but for the money....that POS rocks!

Jason Rose
01-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Yeah, it was gray and had "stealth" tattooed on it. Just remember 2 levers sticking about straight up on the handles. Both had to be pressed down in order to get it to go. If you wanted to slow or stop you had to totally release the one lever, thus taking your hand completly off the handle. Can't turn very well with one hand. Just very awkward... http://www.sutechusa.com/ssd33B13.htm

sikagrass
01-13-2007, 11:56 PM
BCQ has given a very good review of this mower for commercial use,lets hope it comes to the top when somebody else does a search on the sutech.I agree I wish I had spent the extra money myself even without the belt problem ( I only lost one).Back to the original poster at 1280 with all the extras for home use it sounds like a deal.Post a pic or your email.

MarkintheGarden
01-14-2007, 12:47 AM
jonble the Sutech would probably make an ok homeowner's machine because you will not be mowing every day, and not mowing different lawns. I have used one on postage stamp city lawns they are decent machines for the money. bcg's comments are in line with my experience, and what I have heard from others as well. Pros will bash this machine, because it is not made well enough to use every day in various situations. We pros evaluate a machine from the perspective that we live with these things. The sutech is poorly designed, and not well built. The operation is quircky and that stinks when you have to use it all day.

You might consider a 21" commercial toro or honda. You will spend less cash, and not have to spend a lot more time mowing. A good commercial 21" should last a homeowner for 15 years if well maintained. Parts will be cheaper and more available, and it will be safer, and easier to use, maintain, and repair. You can transport it in your trunk, and you can let (or make) a teenager use it.

Not so with the sutech, you will not like maintenance and repair, parts will cost more, it will take a while for you to get the hang of operating it, and you would not want a young teenager to try to operate without training and supervision. With the sutech you will get 5 years worry free use, after that you will get five more years of headaches. For a pro, the headaches would start in the second year.

You will always get better value with a smaller but better made machine. If I were you I would either spend more on the quick 36 or similar, or get the best 21" I could find. Have you looked at commercial 21" mowers? There are several good models available, and they are by far a much better value than the lower end, larger deck machines.

Or you could just hire a good pro and take up golf

timturf
01-14-2007, 07:42 AM
Ok, he's using it for a 9000sq ft lawn, with a mild slope, takes 60-75 min to cut with a 21" Needs to replace worn out mower, and Want's to cut down mowing time.

So, let's stop talking about a 21" cut for replacement if he wants to reduce time cutting. I would guess, from my experience with this machine, that he could cut and trim lawn in ~ 30 minutes, maybe a little more or less. In his location, will it run more than 30 hrs/season? With any kind of maintenance, it should last as long as he wants to cut his lawn!

bcg points are correct, but remember the hours he will use/season
mine came with gator and mulch kit
shouldn't remove more than 1-3 of grass blade, so cutting 1.5" off means, mower set at 4.5" of hoc
I get 120 to 175 hrs on belts

jonble the Sutech would probably make an ok homeowner's machine because you will not be mowing every day, and not mowing different lawns. I have used one on postage stamp city lawns they are decent machines for the money. bcg's comments are in line with my experience, and what I have heard from others as well. Pros will bash this machine, because it is not made well enough to use every day in various situations. We pros evaluate a machine from the perspective that we live with these things. The sutech is poorly designed, and not well built. The operation is quircky and that stinks when you have to use it all day.

You might consider a 21" commercial toro or honda. You will spend less cash, and not have to spend a lot more time mowing. A good commercial 21" should last a homeowner for 15 years if well maintained. Parts will be cheaper and more available, and it will be safer, and easier to use, maintain, and repair. You can transport it in your trunk, and you can let (or make) a teenager use it.

Not so with the sutech, you will not like maintenance and repair, parts will cost more, it will take a while for you to get the hang of operating it, and you would not want a young teenager to try to operate without training and supervision. With the sutech you will get 5 years worry free use, after that you will get five more years of headaches. For a pro, the headaches would start in the second year.

You will always get better value with a smaller but better made machine. If I were you I would either spend more on the quick 36 or similar, or get the best 21" I could find. Have you looked at commercial 21" mowers? There are several good models available, and they are by far a much better value than the lower end, larger deck machines.

Or you could just hire a good pro and take up golf

AGAIN, not really a commercial mower, but in his case a good homeowner mower, and a quick 36 would be better

For commercial operators, the operation is quirky, but you (jonble) should adjust, and I believe a teenager could operate this machine just fine.

jonble.... it's the slope that bothers me...if more than a 2 to 1, it will free will badly going down, much more than my troybilt 33

I have had problem with spindle bearing...last one season..125 to 175 hrs...I'm going to grease every 10 to 15 hrs instead of 25 hrs..you would need to grease once or twice between oil changes

MarkintheGarden
01-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Ok, he's using it for a 9000sq ft lawn, with a mild slope, takes 60-75 min to cut with a 21" Needs to replace worn out mower, and Want's to cut down mowing time.

So, let's stop talking about a 21" cut for replacement if he wants to reduce time cutting. I would guess, from my experience with this machine, that he could cut and trim lawn in ~ 30 minutes, maybe a little more or less. In his location, will it run more than 30 hrs/season? With any kind of maintenance, it should last as long as he wants to cut his lawn!

bcg points are correct, but remember the hours he will use/season
mine came with gator and mulch kit
shouldn't remove more than 1-3 of grass blade, so cutting 1.5" off means, mower set at 4.5" of hoc
I get 120 to 175 hrs on belts

AGAIN, not really a commercial mower, but in his case a good homeowner mower, and a quick 36 would be better

For commercial operators, the operation is quirky, but you (jonble) should adjust, and I believe a teenager could operate this machine just fine.

jonble.... it's the slope that bothers me...if more than a 2 to 1, it will free will badly going down, much more than my troybilt 33

I have had problem with spindle bearing...last one season..125 to 175 hrs...I'm going to grease every 10 to 15 hrs instead of 25 hrs..you would need to grease once or twice between oil changes

Yes it should last a long time, I would not bet my money on it. If you changed your belt and spindle bearing after 150 hours, then the homeowner can count on doing so in about five years, maybe sooner if he does not grease it properly or frequently. So how much time and cash to change the spindle bearing? How about your cables, wheels, and controls, how long are those things lasting?

Jonble, you can attach a photo of your incline to a post, You said you wanted to hear the good feedback about the sutech, the price is good, or at least it is the cheapest in it's class. I think the price and a good cut are just about the only positive aspects.

OK Tim please do stop talking about a 21"!

Jonble, Besides the reasons stated in my other post, I think for an investment of about $1000.00, you can get a machine that will cut your time by 20 to 30 percent. If you are sure you need a bigger mower, or want to reduce your time by 50% then I would suggest you consider the other options, they are worth it even for the average homeowner. The sutech is a good option for someone who cannot afford a better tool, only you can say if that is you.

Most dealers may be more eager than you expect to let you demo their equipment! They know that a demo has a high rate of sales.

Let us know what your other considerations are, I doubt that the slope is of much concern, but attach a photo to your next post.

jonble
01-14-2007, 07:54 PM
GREAT TO GET SUCH A LIVELY DISCUSSION. I EXPECTED NOTHING LESS. Sorry it took me so long to get back. For one thing I wanted to read some replies. ON THE OTHER HAND THERE WAS A BIT OF A NEW DEVELOPMENT FOR ME. My postings are a bit long (SORRY) because I am trying to do fewer with more details on the matter than more posts with a detail here and an answer there, etc.

HERE ARE 3 PIX TRYING TO CAPTURE THE SOMEWHAT SLOPED AREA. Approximately, it is only 3000 of the 9000 square feet of mowing area. The pix are from my yard so the slight blue area of wood and play things are my home and the tan home is my neighbor’s home. The pix help but they probably don’t show the true (incline) perspective.

Regarding a 21" mower, I am definitely considering, however, if I get one it would almost entirely be because of affordability. I would not get junk as I did with my Yard-Man but I would not get commercial at $850-1050. I would get something at about $450-600 (big cost savings over a 33") like a Lawnboy with Honda engine or a Toro with Briggs (Gold Series with 5 yr. warranty). I am much more considering a 33” simply to get done quicker.

Please help me understand (even if briefly) what makes the Sutech any more difficult to mow on slopes OR HANDLE IN ANYWAY FOR THAT MATTER than any other 300-400 pound 28- 33” belt driven mower? Aren’t all similar ones a pain on slopes? I know the more expensive hydrostatics move easier. Or even something like a more expensive Exmark.

Speaking of Exmark. I KNOW I ASKED THAT WE KEEP ON TOPIC OF SUTECH. AND I DO MEAN THAT BECAUSE OF THE $1280 ONE THAT I AM HIGHLY CONSIDERING.

But if I may temporarily redirect this very interesting thread, without being too hypocritical,……In the wee hours of the night last night I found a private seller ad for an Exmark Metro 32” with 13hp Kawasaki engine on www.craigslist.com. It is from about 2004 since Metro now is 15hp engine. Seller says he bought it new from a dealer (has receipt) and only used it 1 season, 1/week, for about a total of 30 hours for a contract that is no longer in effect. Still trying to understand why he doesn't need it just because "the contract is no more." Possibly he is closing his business entirely, if he has one at all. SELLING PRICE TO ME WOULD BE $1000.

I began to ask typical buyer questions: age, condition, why selling. I asked too many questions bec. when I questioned the newness and the $1000 price. I wanted to understand how a 30 hour machine retailing at $2400 was selling privately for $1000. Was it bec. he only used it 30 hours after having bought it from someone else who used it prior? To make a long story short my questions led him to find his receipt that he did in fact buy it new for $2400 from a dealer. He confused it with a pressure washer he bought for $1500 around same time and then said he was removing the ad and selling much higher. I immediately sent him an email and said what's up and he wrote back that his wife says he needs to honor his ad and price and that it was his mistake. He asked if I could buy it from him tomorrow at $1000 and has indicated he'd drop off.

Several things to work out. 1. IS THIS WHOLE PLAY OF EVENTS I JUST DESCRIBED A BEAUTIFUL THING FOR ME OR POTENTIALLY A NIGHTMARE TO COME---IT ALL SEEMS A BIT STRANGE. He advertised with 3 pix (decent pix) that are now gone bec. he pulled the ad. I am asking him to email to me. If others are interested, I will post for feedback. 2. Don't yet know whether it comes with bagger and/or mulching kit--which I'd need both. 3. Seller indicates that he'll even drop off (I assume for a fee) because I have no truck. What he doesn't know yet is that I am about 75 minutes or 60 miles away. Perhaps many people would deliver as long as they are paid to do so. 4. I have to get over my concern about used equipment (even if it is the truth that it's only 30 hours of use) and with no warranty. Despite receipt and possibly still within 2 years, an Exmark warranty cannot be transferred unless by an authorized Exmark dealer. I am not in the repair business so if there is a problem with the Exmark (or any used one) and there is no warranty, it will quickly become an expensive liability. Even transporting it will be a real pain---I’ll need to make arrangements.

My concern is as I mentioned before that you never know if the WHOLE story of this $1000 machine that I am being told is true (unless I was in the business). A bagger and/or mulch kit (if needed) costs extra $. The Sutech at $1280 is new though maybe with residential use the 2 year warranty on the Sutech is not a factor bec. I'll never need it. It is just an extra insurance policy. After I hand over the cash for the AS-IS Exmark (even tested in January weather), all costs are on me.

Is this Exmark at 400 pounds any easier to handle than say a Sutech? It too is not hydrostatic. It is gear driven which I assume is both the same as belt driven, as well as the technology used for the Sutech, as oppose to hydro.

Is it serviceable at 400 pounds (e.g., access to get blade) by a homeowner. It may be difficult to get to and from dealer, unless of course there is something wrong and repair is needed. Then I would somehow (some cost) get it there.

ANYWAY, PERHAPS I HAVE BORED SOME AND PERHAPS OTHERS FEEL THIS IS BECOMING A BIT OF A SOAP OPERA. I HOPE NOT. ALL I KNOW RIGHT NOW IS THAT I NEED A MOWER FOR THIS APRIL. I DO NOT KNOW THAT THE DEALER WILL DEFINETLY LIVE UP TO HIS $1280 PRICE FOR THE NEW SUTECH GIVEN IT IS 2 WEEKS LATER. I ALSO DON'T KNOW THAT THE USED EXMARK DEAL WILL GO THROUGH. HE MAY HAVE ALREADY CHANGED HIS MIND AGAIN AS MEMBERS READ THIS. YOU NEVER KNOW SO I JUST ASK FOR YOUR FURTHER INSIGHTFUL THOUGHTS THAT YOU HAVE ALL BEEN SO GRACIOUS WITH ALREADY AND THAT IF YOU ARE DONE WITH THIS THREAD, I TOO UNDERSTAND THAT.

greenbronco
01-14-2007, 09:25 PM
bored? well just you put as much or more thought into buying a mower as i or most of us who have worked full time mowing do ,lol. if the exmark deal was real i would go with it, because a commercial is going to last you a long time and an exmark dealer should be readily locatable and do better service i would think. but like you say guy lives 60 mi away. but really those slopes dont look bad at all , ive operated the troybilt33 which is similar and for no more than you use it unless your out of shape cant imagine that should really factor in.

MarkintheGarden
01-14-2007, 09:56 PM
That slope is not a consideration.

The Exmark sounds like a very good deal. But dealer support can often make a big difference.

A beautiful thing? A potential nightmare? These are the questions we ask so many times in life. How is your karma?

Stinky Pete
01-15-2007, 09:33 AM
Mowingman, What's the new list for the Cub Cadet 33"?

sikagrass
01-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Id be on that exmark like white on rice. Wouldnt make the guy deliver Id go pick it up.But as far as your slope and the sutech it truly isnt an issue and you would be able to mow it as fast as you could walk,easily twice as fast as your old mower.

Mowingman
01-15-2007, 11:32 AM
List is $1399.00. I think you will see most dealers selling them for about $1199.00 or thereabouts.

Mowingman, What's the new list for the Cub Cadet 33"?

bcg
01-15-2007, 12:33 PM
That slope is a consideration and I'll tell you why. The Sutech is either in freewheel, brakes completely on or both wheels turning. That means that when you mow across that slope you, not the mower, would be the one preventing gravity from pulling the front end of the mower, and in turn the whole thing, down that slope. It requires you to manhandle the mower to keep it running straight across it. Honestly, if I were going to mow that slope (or any slope for that matter) with a Sutech, I'd do it up and down, not across.

The Exmark on the other hand has a drive belt and brake for each wheel. That means that going across a slope or turning the mower is just a matter of squeezing the handle to put more drive power to one wheel or the other and allowing the mower to make that turn or hold that straight line across a slope for you.

You really need to experience both before you can really understand what I'm saying because I know I'm not describing it very well. Bottom line is I would be all over that Exmark at that price even if I had to buy a mulch kit and bagger in addition to the mower. It will last longer and you will enjoy mowing more.

metro36
01-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Were do you see this metro? I saw a 32 on ebay for 1500 but i cant find it on craigslist.

batdaddy044
01-15-2007, 11:27 PM
I have run a '03 SuTech Stealth w/ the 9 hp Kawasaki for the past 3 seasons.
I cut roughly 50 yards weekly , most using this machine.Replace the stock blades with Gator blades , and it does a decent job of cutting.Most all of my properties are relatively flat,so I can't really give an honest appraisal of its ability to perform on slopes.I replaced blade drive belt before last season ,and will do so again this season.The properties that I service are all 1/2 acre or less , with many fenced .Maintain it properly , grease those fittings ,and the machine should serve you well. I can't give you an evaluation of the current B&S powered units , though.

timturf
01-16-2007, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=jonble;1673555].

HERE ARE 3 PIX TRYING TO CAPTURE THE SOMEWHAT SLOPED AREA. Approximately, it is only 3000 of the 9000 square feet of mowing area.

I don't think the slope will be a problem for the sutech!

Regarding a 21" mower, I am definitely considering, however, if I get one it would almost entirely be because of affordability. . I would get something at about $450-600 (big cost savings over a 33") like a Lawnboy with Honda engine or a Toro with Briggs (Gold Series with 5 yr. warranty). I am much more considering a 33” simply to get done quicker. I think a mower in that price range, the sutech, or a good used commercial walk behind will last you as long as you want to mower your yard IF properly maintained.

Please help me understand (even if briefly) what makes the Sutech any more difficult to mow on slopes OR HANDLE IN ANYWAY FOR THAT MATTER than any other 300-400 pound 28- 33” belt driven mower? Aren’t all similar ones a pain on slopes? I know the more expensive hydrostatics move easier. Or even something like a more expensive Exmark. No independent wheel brakes, and the troybilt is easier to use on slopes than sutech, i have both...bcg is correct about the slope issue

Speaking of Exmark. I KNOW I ASKED THAT WE KEEP ON TOPIC OF SUTECH. AND I DO MEAN THAT BECAUSE OF THE $1280 ONE THAT I AM HIGHLY CONSIDERING. The question will be, what condition is it in...only you can judge that

Good luck in your decision, please inform us of your decision, and please let us know at the end of 2007,m how you like your choice

tim

jonble
01-18-2007, 07:45 AM
I WANT TO SAY THANKS TO YOU ALL FOR PARTICIPATING. SEVERAL OF YOU WERE ESPECIALLY GENEROUS WITH INSIGHT AND CAME THROUGH. I AM SURE AT THIS POINT YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. I DO KNOW, HOWEVER, THAT A GOOD FORUM LIKE WWW.LAWNSITE.COM BRINGS OUT GOOD MEMBERS WITH GOOD OPINIONS.

MY TIME IS MORE LIMITED DURING THE WEEK SO THAT EXPLAINS MY DELAYED POST. ON TUESDAY I TOOK WHAT I THINK IS BY FAR THE SMARTER PLUNGE---I BOUGHT THE EXMARK METRO. IT IS AT MY HOME AND I ALREADY DROVE IT AROUND THE YARD FOR A FEW MINUTES. I DO NEED A LOT MORE PRACTICE IN APRIL. FOR EVEN A SKEPTICAL GUY LIKE MYSELF, IT WAS TOO GOOD TO PASS UP. THIS GUY WAS EXCELLENT FROM A TO Z---CANNOT SAY ENOUGH HERE. HE EVEN LEFT ME WITH THE RECEIPT INDICATING IT WAS PURCHASED 6/17/05!

I WILL SAY THIS THOUGH. THIS THREAD WAS VERY VERY HELPFUL IN HELPING ME MAKE THE DECISION. I KNEW A BIT ABOUT SUTECH AND EXMARK AND WITH THE EXCELLENT OPINIONS I GOT ON THE SUTECH, I KNOW I MADE THE RIGHT DECISION. I WILL SAY THAT BY SOLICITING ONLY GOOD COMMENTS ON THE SUTECH MOWER AND STILL GETTING SOME CONS FROM THE GUYS THAT THINK THE MACHINE IS OF DECENT QUALITY, THAT HELPED IMMEASURABLY.

I AM SURE THE SUTECH MOWER WOULD HAVE SERVED ME FINE WITH MY RESIDENTIAL APPLICATION, BUT I THINK THE HANDLING, QUALITY, ETC. ETC. OF THE EXMARK WILL SERVE ME MUCH BETTER, SLOPE OR NOT. THE THREAD WAS SO HELPFUL THAT IT EVEN BROUGHT ME THE CONFIDENCE TO BUY THE USED EXMARK DESPITE NOT PLANNING TO BUY A USED MACHINE.

I HAVE DECIDED NOT TO PURCHASE THE MULCH ADAPTOR. AFTER THE PART ($160), I WOULD NEED TO HAVE A SHOP DRILL HOLES IN THE DECK TO ACCEPT IT (HOUR OF LABOR $) AND ALSO NEED TO FIGURE HOW TO GET THE EXMARK TO THE SHOP WITHOUT A TRUCK ($). SO NOW I JUST NEED TO GO OUT AND BUY A GRASS CATCHER SO I CAN OCCASSIONALLY DISCHARGE THE GRASS AND MORE OFTEN BAG. I THINK I WILL GET THE CLOTH EXMARK ($300) AS OPPOSE TO A STEEL ($250) OR ALUMINUM ($350-400).

MarkintheGarden
01-18-2007, 09:58 AM
You chose wisely!
I am sure that (like I said before) that sutech would have been a pain in your rear after five or more years. If you got the exmark for anywhere close to the one thousand that you mentioned then you got a great deal. That machine should give you twenty years of good service. You will enjoy using it and maintaining it, and when you do need to do a repair, it will not be too dificult, parts will be easy to get, and you can come here and get information.

Happy Mowing!

gibsonsg311
01-19-2007, 07:36 PM
jonble nice choice

my good buddy has a sutech and the controls are kinda screwy, myself i have a belt exmark and the drive is so much better than the 33 sutech. You won't regret buying an exmark.