PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this lawn?

Triple R
01-13-2007, 05:31 PM
I just finished mowing my lawn and took some pics. I noticed this several days ago while pulling up to the house, it has black/brown on the leaf blades and from a distance there is a dark tint to it. I have a couple things I think it might be. Let me know what you think. I will add more pics in the next post.

Triple R

Triple R
01-13-2007, 05:39 PM
More pics.

Precision
01-13-2007, 05:48 PM
I don't know what is the problem with the dark coloration and reddening, bu the tips are beaten up. I know what causes that. Dull blades. This could be allowing some kind of pathogen in, due to the excess healing time of the crushed tips.

Someone else will know for sure.

nmez21
01-13-2007, 06:46 PM
I compared it to a bunch of different things and it looks to me like red and black reproductive structures of the rust pathogen. I must tell you though that I have no experience diagnosing these types of problems.

Runner
01-13-2007, 07:43 PM
It is Grey Leaf spot. Also, DEFINITELY make sure they sharpen their blades...This is an open door for this sort of thing.

Triple R
01-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Here's a couple of things that may have contributed to the lawn, it's a tall Fescue by the way. First there has been frost overnight for most of the last few weeks. Second, about a week ago I was applying Ferromec to several properties and had some left in the sprayer so I sprayed it out on my lawn and it didn't get watered until today for 5 minutes. Also I may have overdosed the lawn with Ferromec. Do you think it's one or the other or a combination. The mower blade may need a sharpening to get it razor sharp but it's not that bad. The cut you see is from at least a month ago, the cut I did today did't cut much if any grass blades.

Splicer
01-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Sharpen the blades dude...

mikes landscaping
01-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Yeah its dull blades i would think.

Runner
01-13-2007, 08:53 PM
If that cut was from a month ago, then have SERIOUS problems. I have never in my life ever seen grass that would be that slow to heal up from growth. Has there been alot precipitation down on the turf lately (other than the frosts)? Also, has it been having heavy or light nitrogen been applied....?

Triple R
01-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Turned irrigation off over 2 months ago. Very little rain, maybe an inch since I turned off irrigation. No fert since October up until I put the Ferromec down last week. Lawns aren't growing much in this area right now from the cold. I have been skipping mowing some of my maintenance accounts for up to 3 weeks from lack of growth. They are green just not growing, too cold.

Triple R

Grits
01-13-2007, 11:01 PM
It looks like leaf spot. What have the weather conditions been like? It usually appears on grass in shaded areas when it has been wet or fairly humid weather. Aerating will help, and if it is possible try to reduce the shade. Also, sharpen your blades.

topsites
01-13-2007, 11:39 PM
I think the rest of the guys are right.
Dull blades and frost issues were my first two guesses.

I assume that by zone 8, you must reside around Fresno CA.
And my weathermap shows freezing temps (25F) at night and 40's-50's during the day (for Fresno anyhow).
If I'm not mistaken, that means it's winter time.

At least around where I live, nobody cuts grass in the winter...
Probably because the grass doesn't grow in the cold.
Which might help explain why it's not healing.

A and N
01-14-2007, 01:09 AM
Looks like Florida grass to me, super thick, not enough nutrients in the soil.

Grits
01-14-2007, 01:30 AM
Looks like Florida grass to me, super thick, not enough nutrients in the soil.

Wrong!!!!!!!! It does look like Florida grass in the pics.....I thought the same thing when I first saw it. But it is Fescue.

Team-Green L&L
01-14-2007, 03:15 AM
I'm gonna go with dull blades as well. It is definitely a fescue grass.

Runner
01-14-2007, 04:00 AM
Kentucky 31 Tall fescue.

mowdini
01-14-2007, 09:13 AM
Triple R--Don't know what's wrong with the lawn but maybe you should change careers. You take GREAT photos!!!!:usflag:

Team-Green L&L
01-14-2007, 01:20 PM
"Kentucky 31 Tall fescue."

I'm not versed in grass types, but isn't Kentucky 31 a Bluegrass? That's not my forte, but I'm pretty sure of it.

Grits
01-14-2007, 03:10 PM
"Kentucky 31 Tall fescue."

I'm not versed in grass types, but isn't Kentucky 31 a Bluegrass? That's not my forte, but I'm pretty sure of it.

No, Kentucky 31 is a variety of Tall Fescue. It was discovered by Dr. E.N. Fergus in 1931.

Triple R
01-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Triple R--Don't know what's wrong with the lawn but maybe you should change careers. You take GREAT photos!!!!:usflag:

Thanks, but it's easy with a digital camera, I just take lots of pics and delete the bad ones.

Triple R

Triple R
01-14-2007, 06:04 PM
It looks like leaf spot. What have the weather conditions been like? It usually appears on grass in shaded areas when it has been wet or fairly humid weather. Aerating will help, and if it is possible try to reduce the shade. Also, sharpen your blades.

topsites is correct about the weather conditions. Lawn is full sun and slightly sloped towards the West, soil was not too wet and we have not had much fog this season. I am wondering if it could have been the liquid fert + lack of water + cold temps.

Here are pics of grass I pulled and the mower blade. The damage seems to only be towards the tips of the blades. I haven't sharped the blade since I bought the mower this summer, don't use it much.

Triple R

barefootlawnsandlandscape
01-14-2007, 09:33 PM
The lack of watering in the Ferromec will not hurt the grass at all as it is absorbed foliar. I have sprayed Ferromec for years and at times didn't water it in and never saw any adverse effects. I also have applied Ferromec at 3 times the rate and all that happened is an extremely green grass. I would say you have a leaf spot more than likely gray leaf spot. I would not be too concerned as the pathogen is not real active under the conditions you are in right now, but come spring I would definitely treat it with Chlorothalonil (Daconil) at a 4oz. rate. It should take care of any leaf spot you have. I am not real familiar with all the disease you deal with in that country w/cool season grasses, but Chlorothalonil is alway a great application to do.

Precision
01-15-2007, 12:14 AM
that blade is visibly dull even from that distance.

I don't know about where you are, but my blades (florida) will dull just from the humidity if not protected. I sharpen, then coat with spray paint immediately. Just a light coat, but that stops the problem.