PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Or Truck????

baddboygeorge
01-14-2007, 06:41 PM
I really wanna get an enclosed trailer this year to try them out! i am also considering an isuzu or ford lcf type box truck. I like the fact that with the truck any employee can drive it regardless if he can back a trailer or not.I mow alot of lawns in neighborhoods with cul de sacs an with a trailer its sometimes a pain to turn around. let me know how you guys feel thanks George

JRSlawn
01-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Anything enclosed is wonderful. Year round storage of your equipment. You will really realize how nice it is in the winter when you have all the junk out of your shop and have room for whatever you want. I love my trailer and will allways have my mow crews in enclosed trailers or trucks. I am also thinking of buying a used box truck and converting it like 4 seasons did. The only thing with that is you have a whole vehical sitting all winter instead of just a trailer.

Lawnworks
01-14-2007, 07:08 PM
For mow only, I love the box truck.

LB1234
01-14-2007, 08:06 PM
We love our enclosed trailers. Not just for winter storage but for those rainy days. Especially the ones that are unpredictable. You can always hang out in the trailer and maintenance your equipment, clean the decks, etc. while you wait for a storm to blow over. Although I guess you can get the same thing in a box truck.

Personally, I haven't used one of the box type trucks nor do I have any desire. I like the idea of having a side door and not having to climb around everything to get at blowers, trimmers, gas cans, etc. I would think with a box truck you would have to manuever your body around everything to get at it. Is this correct?

Grits
01-14-2007, 08:22 PM
I think the truck idea is good and I have thought about doing this myself. A problem I see with it though...if the truck breaks down what will you do to get the equipment back on route?

Lawnworks
01-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Hopefully you have more than one truck and a trailer sitting around or a good mechanic. You could say the same thing w/ a truck and trailer though.

Turf Dawg
01-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Man this is wierd, I just got off of ebay looking at Isuzu trucks. I currently have two trucks and three trailers[20' enclosed,16' open and 12' open]. I was thinking of selling my older [99 f350 powerstroke] and 12' trailer and getting a 16' box truck. I think these would be great for around town. I love my enclosed trailer and think the box truck would be even better.

Tadams
01-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Hopefully you have more than one truck and a trailer sitting around or a good mechanic. You could say the same thing w/ a truck and trailer though.

That is exactly what I was going to say. What do people do if they blow the motor or the tranny or even a waterpump? You either switch to another truck or you bust A&$ and get it going.

baddboygeorge
01-14-2007, 09:37 PM
the great plus of the box truck is being able to have any employee drive no worries if they can drive a truck with a trailer. I have had f 350 box vans before before my divorce an they worked wonders . i am also looking at fuel economy an they say that the isuzu npr's get great gas mileage.the down fall of pulling a 16-20 foot trailer is ya have to have a big truck to pull it which i have a few but the fuel economy sucks.Also we cut in about 100 mile radius so the fuel economy is really what i am after as well as storage of equipment an also out of thieves eyes! hope this helps thanks George

Tadams
01-14-2007, 10:51 PM
I hate to bust your bubble, but the NPR's don't get great gas mileage. At least the gassers don't. Mine gets maybe 10mpg ( I know Ron is gonna scold me again :hammerhead: ) It probably only gets 8.9999999 mpg. Happy Ron? :waving: . I can't speak on the mileage of the diesels- maybe someone else might chime in on those.

Envy Lawn Service
01-14-2007, 10:52 PM
I think a box truck with an add-on dovetail and gate... or long power gate would be great. I've even seen a few landscape dovetail boxes they custom make for us... which of course costs more.

I think it would be really nice... especially with employees. But check your local laws for drivers license requirements FIRST!

Also, another thing to think about is a truck that has the wheelbase for nice deep underbody lock boxes with 2' x 6' openings... or larger. This way you can mount racks in them for the trimmers, edgers and blowers. Either that or all the handheld wall racks need to be on the sides of the box just inside the rear like you would with an enclosed without a side door. Just more time consuming walking up the ramp and dovetail for everything is all.

ALSO... you'll probably want to opt for one of those custom fuel cells for re-fueling the mowers.

southtx
01-14-2007, 11:10 PM
I just called a guy the other day asking on some used u-haul trucks he had for sale. The price he gave me sounded good.

Lawnworks
01-14-2007, 11:25 PM
12mpg on the box truck diesel... might be less than that now that I don't drive it.