PDA

View Full Version : 1988 305 truck issue

SLR
01-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Ok i went out to start my old truck to move it,the last time i started it was just before winter when it was somewhat warm outside..now after new gas,filter,plugs, it starts for a bit,gets warm(while running crapy)then dies,backfires,long starting times. When it runs i race the engine,let it slow abit(as to not damage trans),put into gear and get 2feet,dies again..i cleaned everthing,changed air filters,sprayed WD-40 around intake area,cleaned EGR,PCV..now i want to take whole intake area apart to inspect.. Any know what should i be looking for?

fixer67
01-14-2007, 07:11 PM
I seen something like tha before. The car ahd been sitting to about 4 months and ran just fine when parked. It did the same things your truck is doing. It was fix by unhooking the battery and letting it set for about 5 minutes and then hooking the battery back up. It ran just fine after that. Something with the computer I guess. It is an easy thing to try even it if does not work in this case. Cars and trucks that are let sit are targets for wire eating rats and the alike. Check for any bad wires.

SLR
01-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks!..will do that as a process of elimination!..i went visually through everything under the hood for the stupid rodent in question.

I seriously hope it is'nt the fuel pump,in the bloody tank thing!it is -26 out at the moment.

grass_cuttin_fool
01-14-2007, 07:20 PM
The choke isnt sticking is it?

SLR
01-14-2007, 07:45 PM
It's fuel injected though..i was starting to think an injector is gumed,or something in the throttle body iced.

grass_cuttin_fool
01-14-2007, 09:01 PM
oooops ..........lol diidnt know when they switched over......Ive got an 85 with a carb

wayne

The Intimidator
01-14-2007, 10:30 PM
to see if the injectors are plugged up with the truck running and the air filter assembly of you should see the two injectors on top of the tbi unit. Are they putting out a nice spray or are they sort of dribbling gas? You should check this and vary the throttle while watching to see their output.

rockytopp
01-14-2007, 11:52 PM
there is an emergency connector to by pass the switch to the fuel pump. It should be on the left side on top of the heater or ac box . that is the left side as you face the radiator. just hook up a hot and ground jumper , and with out the engine running hook into the pig tail. you should be able to hear the fuel pump run. if not then you will have to pull the tank,,, but first make sure the filter and the fuse is good, filter clean,fuse not blown. good luck

lawnpro724
01-15-2007, 12:41 AM
Not sure if the 88 has cap & rotor or electronic but if it has the former check the cap and rotor. It sounds like you have a cracked cap. You also said you changed plugs what about wires if they are cracked or just worn out it will run like crap and die on you. When you put your plugs in you could have broken a wire without knowing it. I would check out the things I mentioned here and would be bet its one of them.

SLR
01-15-2007, 01:17 AM
As i recall it did this very thing last winter,i only forgot because when summer came i used it tohaul wood all summer,and it ran superb!..it sure seems related to a cold weather issue.

It does indeed have a cap/rotor,i'll investigate under there.And there is good spray when observing with filter off.

SLR
01-15-2007, 01:19 AM
there is an emergency connector to by pass the switch to the fuel pump on the left side as you face the radiator. just hook up a hot and ground jumper , and with out the engine running hook into the pig tail. you should be able to hear the fuel pump run.
========
Great!..do you mean i should be able to hear when the engine is off?

SLR
01-15-2007, 01:24 AM
there is an emergency connector to by pass the switch to the fuel pump on the left side as you face the radiator. just hook up a hot and ground jumper , and with out the engine running hook into the pig tail. you should be able to hear the fuel pump run.
========
Great to know knowlege Rockytopp!
Do you mean "i should be able to hear the pump run with the engine off? Don't know if my ears will make the grade, if it's supposed to be running.

The Intimidator
01-15-2007, 01:38 AM
if the truck is running I dont think the issue is with you're fuel pump You could check the fuel pressure to see if it is low but the pump is running if the truck is running, you should ask this question on fullsizechevy.com their is alot of very smart people over there. You should also be able to hear the fuel pump when you put the key in the run position it will generally run for a few seconds then stop.

generally when the pump fails the truck will crank over and not start if you hit the tank a couple times with a rubber mallet it should start working again for a short period of time good to remember if you are out and the pump craps out on you.

Potchkins
01-15-2007, 01:47 AM
EFI was introduced in the 1987 model year

xcopterdoc
01-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Check wires at cap for corrosion. Especially the coil wire at both the cap and coil. White powder is a no no, clean, apply dielectric grease and reinstall.

topsites
01-15-2007, 09:21 PM
When's the last time you replaced spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor?

SLR
01-15-2007, 10:58 PM
When's the last time you replaced spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor?
=
not long ago at all. It ran excellent all summer & started like a charm. As soon as weather warms i'll go take some plugs out to look at, and do the cap/rotor thing. TAHNKS for inputs lawnforumians!!

SLR
05-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Just an update here, For the last few weeks it has been running ever so great, being +15 most of the time. BUT like before it got cold again last night..starting/running very rough ugh! it is definatly cold related somehow.

Bill Kapaun
05-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Throw a can of Gas Dri in the tank to absorb the water.

SLR
05-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Gas Dri into the gas even if the gas is already perfectly fresh?wouldn't it run crappy consistantly no matter the weather presented,if it was a condensation issue?.

Bill Kapaun
05-04-2007, 10:46 PM
You could have "some" water on the bottom of the tank. An occasional "sip" of this can result in crappy running.
I guess a couple bucks is too much to spend?