PDA

View Full Version : Best All Around LCO Truck

Grass-Masters
01-14-2007, 11:07 PM
My 1995 F-150 is getting tired, And I need a differant truck for next season. I will be buying a used truck in the 10,000 and under range. I have been looking at early 90's F-350's with the 7.3 diesel. I have heard about the 2500HD truck, but do not know much about it. I will be pulling a 16 foot trailer, I will want a dump or dump insert for dirt, mulch, and stone.

If you were to go and buy a USED truck from the early 90's which truck would it be and why. I want to buy a truck that will not feel as underpowered as my F-150 feels towing a loaded trailer. And what trucks by ford and chevy should I stay away from. I noticed I can get a used 1992-1996 f-350 7.3 deisel dump for under $8000. Is there a reason why they are so chap.

Potchkins
01-15-2007, 12:16 AM
try www.trucktrader.com
Give the Dodge/Cummins combo some serious thought.

You won't regret it i promise

topsites
01-16-2007, 01:46 AM
Two of the most awesome trucks have to be the:

Ford F-250 XLT Lariat / Centurion
Dodge D-2500 SLT Laramie

If you can find one of them around the '95 or so year at a decent price, you'll be going WOooo HOOO!
As a guide, 3-4 thousand for fair, up to 6 for good to excellent condition (while putting performance ahead of cosmetics can lower the price).

leaflandscape
01-16-2007, 08:57 AM
We're a hardscape contractor, and we run a 2006 f150 and a 2001 f350. The f150 tows like a champ (up to 9900 lbs), and is geared really nice for towing. Since you're looking at something older, I'd recommend the f350. Ours is a gasser, but we got it with low mileage, and towing a 6 ton dumper it hasn't given us any problems yet, but we get a transmission transfusion about twice a year, because I've heard there are some tranny problems floating around. Good luck with your purchase.

Lawnworks
01-16-2007, 08:53 PM
I would get a 12' flatbed. You will never ever regret it.

Jpocket
01-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Any year Chevy/GMC 2500-3500 will be good, although I would stay away from an 88-92 GM. Because they didn't have the electronics worked out yet :). None of the Diesels were that great before 2002. any and all GM gas motors are good. Gm has never made a bad v-8 gas motor.

In a Ford I would try to get anything after 95' that way you get the powerstroke, although the IDI 7.3 Diesels are great motors, and can be picked up pretty cheap nowadays. If you find a clean one with decent ,iles go for it, i've seen em for $2500. I wouldn't buy a Ford with a gas motor.

I really don't know what to think about dodge. I will say that any year Cummins, with a manual trans is a great combo, there autos are known to be iffy.

Potchkins
01-17-2007, 12:47 AM
In a Ford I would try to get anything after 95' that way you get the powerstroke, although the IDI 7.3 Diesels are great motors, and can be picked up pretty cheap nowadays. If you find a clean one with decent ,miles go for it, i've seen em for $2500. I wouldn't buy a Ford with a gas motor.

I really don't know what to think about dodge. I will say that any year Cummins, with a manual trans is a great combo, there autos are known to be iffy.
I wouldn't buy a gas motor.

Ford: 94' has mechanical pump / optional turbo
95' and newer have electronics turbo comes standard

Dodge 94' up 5sp is a NV 4500
98' up optional 6sp NV 5600 is a little more desirable

Grass-Masters
01-17-2007, 01:05 PM
I just looked at a 92 F-350 2 WD with an international 7.3 diesel and a new automatic trans, Hydralic dump bed, newer western plow and a salter attached to the dump bed, 110,000 miles for $6500 bucks, the dump was a little beat up I guess to be expected, and very little rust on box. How does this sound. Is this a good truck.

Duekster
01-17-2007, 01:13 PM
I am considering one of those low cab forward trucks with a dove tail on it. I would likely get one enclosed.

http://www.isuzucv.com/businessuses/landscaping.html

Potchkins
01-17-2007, 03:57 PM
I just looked at a 92 F-350 2 WD with an international 7.3 diesel and a new automatic trans, Hydraulic dump bed, newer western plow and a salter attached to the dump bed, 110,000 miles for $6500 bucks, the dump was a little beat up I guess to be expected, and very little rust on box. How does this sound. Is this a good truck.

dont expect it to be a powerhouse, as it is non turbo

Lawnworks
01-17-2007, 06:04 PM
I just looked at a 92 F-350 2 WD with an international 7.3 diesel and a new automatic trans, Hydralic dump bed, newer western plow and a salter attached to the dump bed, 110,000 miles for $6500 bucks, the dump was a little beat up I guess to be expected, and very little rust on box. How does this sound. Is this a good truck.

I love that set-up. I have a 12ft flatbed dump. I can't live w/o it now.

Grass-Masters
01-17-2007, 07:28 PM
dont expect it to be a powerhouse, as it is non turbo

As long as it can pull my loaded 16" trailer, anddo it with a full load of mulch, dirt, ect... and not be ready to die like my 302 powered F-150. Thats what I need. The question is, is this a depenadble truck, can it handle the constant load, and is this a good price for this year truck. Thanks for any info.

dozerman21
01-17-2007, 08:45 PM
I like diesels, but you may have a hard time finding one in good shape that's doesn't have a ton of miles for that price. I would try to find a '96-'99 Chevy with the Vortec 350. There are many out there, and they have good power. Pre- 1996 don't have the Vortec heads, and don't have as good of power, but they have been reliable. Cummins diesels are great, but their trannys aren't. If you go with a PowerStroke, get one with a turbo. I'm a GM guy, but I'd go with the Cummins, then PowerStroke, over the 6.2 or 6.5 GM diesel.

tnmtn
01-17-2007, 10:15 PM
i have a ford '94 F350 with a 7.3 IDI and 5 speed manual. it has 248,000 miles on it and still works. the IDI diesel isn't the most powerful but it has towed my backhoe many miles. total weight around 13,000. to tow a open trailer with mowers or a smaller skid steer it would be fine. you won't set any speed records but you will get there. i get around 17 mpg light. towing heavy around 10. i would guess around 15 with a 5000 lb. load. one thing to look out for on the IDI diesels is a problem they are known for called cavitation. take the truck to a shop and have it checked before purchase. if there is no sign of cavitation i would highly recommend one. the truck you are looking at would be awesome with the dump bed. also check out www.dieselstop.com for more info.
good luck and post pics,

Metro Lawn
01-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Here you go.. the one I just bought...lol

1993 Dodge 350 Cummins diesel dump

leaflandscape
01-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Our F350 is gas, and it does an awesome job of hauling. The fuel economy is excellent, and the price of diesel these days is hovering right around the price of gas where I am. The parts are cheaper, there are gas mechanics under every stone, and as a rule you'll pay a little less for a gas truck than a diesel. I'm told there's less power, but it doesn't seem to affect towing since our truck is towing constantly from March til December.

Grass-Masters
01-18-2007, 12:06 PM
i have a ford '94 F350 with a 7.3 IDI and 5 speed manual. it has 248,000 miles on it and still works. the IDI diesel isn't the most powerful but it has towed my backhoe many miles. total weight around 13,000. to tow a open trailer with mowers or a smaller skid steer it would be fine. you won't set any speed records but you will get there. i get around 17 mpg light. towing heavy around 10. i would guess around 15 with a 5000 lb. load. one thing to look out for on the IDI diesels is a problem they are known for called cavitation. take the truck to a shop and have it checked before purchase. if there is no sign of cavitation i would highly recommend one. the truck you are looking at would be awesome with the dump bed. also check out www.dieselstop.com for more info.
good luck and post pics,

If you don't mind me asking what is cavitation. How does it affect the truck. I need to give this guy an answer this week, I like the truck but don't know if I should go for it.

This is a pic of the truck. The color isn't the best, but macco can fix that.
http://carusolawncare.com/truck.JPG

tnmtn
01-18-2007, 12:45 PM
i can't give you the exact effect of cause of cavitation. from what i understand it allows cooling water and the lube oil to mix. it is from improper maintenance of the cooling system as i understand it. also it doesn't effect all engines. www.thedieselstop.com folks there can give you all the details and how to test for it.
good luck

stroker51
01-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Yes, make sure the coolant has been maintained, regular flushing or there is some kind of basically an additive that keeps it from breaking down as fast and cavitating the engine. As mentioned, the guys at dieselstop.com are gonna be your best friends here. Also, check for blow-by. I know on the PSD's, (mid 94 on up) that you just sit the oil fill cap on top of the oil fill hole in the valve cover. If it don't move, no blow-by, if it dances a little, kinda iffy but might not cause you any problems. If you don't have any diesel experience, I would highly recommend having it looked at. I've got 2 powerstrokes and love them, great power and economy, and my former partner has a 1991 F250, 7.3 diesel with plow crowding 200K, been a great truck. Good luck with you purchase, it seems like a good deal to me. Heck, to set up a new truck with a dump, spreader, and plow will be WAYYY over the 6500 you'll pay for that truck, provided everything checks out.