PDA

View Full Version : short bed vs regular size

Keegan
01-16-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm looking for a used pickup with an extended cab. Most I find are short beds. Does anyone have them and are they working out for you?

grandview (2006)
01-16-2007, 03:04 PM
He's mine.

Potchkins
01-16-2007, 03:37 PM
it depends how you will be using it?

LB1234
01-16-2007, 04:19 PM
For my particular applications it is working out just fine. I also have a aluminum storage rack in my short bed ext cab as well. If you are going to be plowing with the truck in tight quarters (parking lots, convenience malls, etc) then IMHO the shorter the better. We have another SB truck but with crew cab. Our personal experience is the added 2-2.5 feet makes in that much harder to plow in tight quarters with.

On the other hand if you are going to want to be placing 8' pieces of lumbar (say sheet rock/plywood) than a long bed will be better since the whole sheet will fit in the bed with the tailgate closed. At present we have to lean plywood and the like on an angle to get it to fit in the truck.

Again, as previous poster says its all about what you use it for.

Lawn Enforcer
01-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Yep, it all depends what you will use it for. I like my Ram 1500 long bed when I make lumber runs to Menards for all my projects, also when hauling leaves, more room.

asjgabries
01-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Short Bed sucks. I have one and I hate it.

Shopkeeper
01-16-2007, 10:31 PM
I worked out of a shortbed Toyota Pickup ('94) last season carrying around 2 21 inchers, 2 weed eaters, 2 blowers, 2 gas cans, and various other items and although it was tight it worked just fine. Tight isn't always bad because with it being so tight it kept things from moving around.

However, I must tell you that since I am upgrading equipment this season to a 36 inch mower I will be using a trailer simply because loading that mower in and out of such a small bed would be a PITA.

Like all of the others have said, it's all about what you use it for.

LawnScapers of Dayton
01-17-2007, 07:32 AM
I only like regular beds on regular cabs, I need a crew cab and an 8' bed is too long, plus I don't like how they look, I am able to work fine with the short bed....

You should check out a ramp system for that Toyota.......the ones that replace the tailgate.....I use to mow with a 36" in the bed of a toyota... worked great...

D

jkingrph
01-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Have a Ford F 250 diesel crew cab long bed 4x4. Ride is fantastic, better than wife's Mercury Marquis with air suspension. Down side is that it is a pia to manuver in tight places. Like the room and ride so for me it's worth it.

Shopkeeper
01-17-2007, 01:10 PM
I only like regular beds on regular cabs, I need a crew cab and an 8' bed is too long, plus I don't like how they look, I am able to work fine with the short bed....

You should check out a ramp system for that Toyota.......the ones that replace the tailgate.....I use to mow with a 36" in the bed of a toyota... worked great...

D

No chance you can get me a link to the ramp you used is there? Or maybe some quality ramps that you know of?

LawnScapers of Dayton
01-17-2007, 05:45 PM
try usaramp.com.....

mine were custom made from an old trailer ramp.....

ed2hess
01-17-2007, 05:47 PM
I would never get a short bed for a lawn business....it would absolutely rule out a tool box. Can't dump from a bobcat mulch/dirt in the bed without a lot of trouble. Hard to carry anything like railroad ties....9 feet or fence post.

LawnScapers of Dayton
01-17-2007, 05:52 PM
what is the trouble with dumping from a bobcat......I have hauled mulch and dirt filled by many different front loaders with no problems......

Total.Lawn.Care
01-17-2007, 05:57 PM
I like short beds due to the looks of the truck and the manueverability. I have an '01 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab. It is a pain enough to turn around because i am used to the turning radius of a Ford. I cannot imagine this truck with a Long box. However, depends on how you want to use it. Mine will eventually be all Tool box and Fuel Tanks with just a little room for bagged clippings ar a few tools, etc. I rarely haul much in my truck. I usually tow trailers if i am going to haul a load. So Short Bed is fine with me.

lawnboy dan
01-17-2007, 06:02 PM
long bed every time-short bed limits your possabilities

Lynden-Jeff
01-18-2007, 02:04 PM
I would NEVER get a ext cab or crew cab long box. Way to long. I like my ext cab short box dodge ram. The length of the truck + 18' trailer is long enough without the long box. If you want it as a leaf truck, reg cab long box is great. For towing short box ext cab is the way to go IMO.

Cheers
Jeff

stroker51
01-18-2007, 07:21 PM
If you're gonna do any plowing, get the short bed. I've got an F250 Ext. cab long bed, it's nice because I can have my big weatherguard toolbox and a fuel tank in the back and still pull a gooseneck, but my next every day truck will be a crew cab short bed. They are obviously shorter, and I think just look better. If I'm gonna be dumping from the bobcat, it'll be onto/into a trailer, or I'll use one of the flatbeds. Same goes for leaves.

asjgabries
01-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Yea, I agree. If you want a work truck you most likely want a 8ft pickup bed or a flatbed or dump bed but for a dialy driver if you really want a ext cab or crew can jsut get the short bed because your most likely not gonna need the extra length. You do get a bigger gas tank with the longer beds.