PDA

View Full Version : Got my mulch today

Stafford Landscaping
01-16-2007, 07:35 PM
They came today and delivered a tractor and trailer load of mulch. I took the picture with my phone so the quality is not good but the pile is bigger than it looks. I guess I better to get ready, I've got a lot of mulching to do. I'll get this pile about half gone and I'll order another. Does anybody else buy there mulch in bulk.

lawncare18
01-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Already mulching down there/??? I wish I was here.. I spend the day shoveling snow off golf greens trying to breka up the huge ice layer we have on them. HOw many mulch jobs you have lined up so far.. take some pics of the work for us!!!

Stafford Landscaping
01-16-2007, 08:02 PM
Already mulching down there/??? I wish I was here.. I spend the day shoveling snow off golf greens trying to breka up the huge ice layer we have on them. HOw many mulch jobs you have lined up so far.. take some pics of the work for us!!!

I would gladly trade some of this warm weather for some snow It was almost 70 here yesterday But it is cooling down today though but no snow.
I've got all of my annual contracts to do.

paolaken
01-16-2007, 08:03 PM
buy it bulk all the time.

EA Quinn
01-16-2007, 08:30 PM
buy it by bulk all the time. we go through 1-2 tractor trailer loads a week.

Stafford Landscaping
01-16-2007, 08:44 PM
buy it by bulk all the time. we go through 1-2 tractor trailer loads a week.

To go through that much mulch you must blow it don't you?

DUSTYCEDAR
01-16-2007, 08:53 PM
once u blow u never wheel again

Tony Clifton
01-16-2007, 08:58 PM
Who do you buy your mulch from?

RedMax Man
01-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Thats what i'd like to be doing now. A buddy of mine buys his mulch in bulk.

Let-it-mow!
01-16-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm guessing that's around 40 yards. We have gotten 100 yards delivered in one load before.

Moving mulch with a loader bucket takes forever. I built this extension and it makes the job go a little faster, It just about triples the size of scoop I can grab.

Stafford Landscaping
01-16-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm guessing that's around 40 yards. We have gotten 100 yards delivered in one load before.

Moving mulch with a loader bucket takes forever. I built this extension and it makes the job go a little faster, It just about triples the size of scoop I can grab.

It's about 80 you just can't see the other side they say the trailer will hold a 100 yards but you only get about 80. Can you take the extension on and off I would like to make that for mine if I could take it off relatively easy when I wanted too

Let-it-mow!
01-16-2007, 11:02 PM
The extension is just a piece of 1/8" steel plate that I had bent to form a 3 sided box that fits inside the bucket. The picture's not the best but this extension is just bolted onto the bucket and we only use it for mulch. 3 minutes with an impact wrench and it's on or off. I had to drill holes in my bucket but I don't move water with it so who cares? Actually the holes have come in handy for all sorts of things I've built for he bucket, like a small set of pallet forks and a very tiny set of forks for moving concrete parking lot bumpers.

The first time we used it, we got mulch jammed into the tiny space between the bucket and the extension. So much mulch that it bowed the center of the extension up about 3 inches. Repeatedly driving the bucket into the pile of mulch just kept forcing more into the space.

So I welded a bar across the bottom of the extenison that sticks down enough to keep mulch out of this gap and it works fine now.

KrayzKajun
01-16-2007, 11:07 PM
i wish i had a place to store bulk mulch. i think my neighbors would get mad if i put 100yards of mulch in my driveway

leaflandscape
01-17-2007, 01:48 AM
Amen brother, and those are the folks who never let you leave and take forever to pay you, and you end up showing up at their front door at supper time, unannounced, with a set of pliers (for payment persuasion).

EA Quinn
01-17-2007, 10:28 AM
To go through that much mulch you must blow it don't you?

Yes we do have a blower truck.........And you guys are right, once you blow mulch you never go back:)
http://www.eaquinn.com/gallery/mulch/images/Mulch_1.jpg

Tony Clifton
01-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Were you ignoring my question of where you bought the mulch, or did you not see the question?

Stafford Landscaping
01-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Were you ignoring my question of where you bought the mulch, or did you not see the question?

Sorry didn't mean to ignore you I apologies. I got it in Wilksboro at Sale Lumber. I here in Taylorsville Where are you located?

DoetschOutdoor
01-18-2007, 02:04 AM
What do you end up paying for the mulch when you buy that much at once, if you dont mind me asking?

Tony Clifton
01-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Cool deal, I am in Wilmington. We have two sources that we buy bulk from but I am looking for a new source that has the same or better pricing. I am looking for a new source due to some "ethical problems" the owner of my current source seems to have.

OUTLANDER
02-02-2008, 10:50 PM
cmon guys blowing mulch is 1.taking all the fun and experteze out of it.2.a waste unless you have all wide open areas.3.another way of killing our ozone,and using unnecesary gas...........and most of all LAZY

syzer
02-03-2008, 12:07 AM
We blew through 15 tractor loads, about 1500 yards just on our commercial accounts. Hopefully this year with advertising it will run all year.

http://www.precision-aquatics.com/gallery/albums/album04/IMG_1389.sized.jpg
http://gallery.mac.com/cpasko/100083/IMG_1394/web.jpg

backors
02-03-2008, 12:28 AM
How do you blow mulch?

Barefoot James
02-03-2008, 01:01 AM
I have been looking hard at the Finns and international 4300 - non CDL truck. the whole package is about 150K plus a bobcat/trailer. You have 180K and a 5k per month nut - 12 months a year. At min you have to do 4500 yards a year @ $50 a yard and be getting it delivered for about $16.50 a yard for a good hardwood mulch. this makes you about 90K a year but you still have to pay for gas, insurance, and if you have help so no you down to under 40K a year - granted this is PT work for 4500 yards but how are you making money @ only 1500 yards (I doubt your cost was 15oK for a used truck/Finn. But your loader looks new and you still have to cover 3K+ per month in payments. When do you start making money with these and does anyone have some good numbers.
Then you have Express Blowers that hold 60 yards but even used they start at 250K.

I would love to blow mulch and compost/seed on yards but the CDL license and money are huge. I guess it's not for everyone???

Please share! We don't have anyone in town who does this but a couple outfits and their units just sit - big landscape companies.