PDA

View Full Version : Battery life

Bayrat
01-16-2007, 09:03 PM
My Gravely 260Z is not quite two years old. It sat in my barn for about six weeks since I washed it after the last mowing and the battery went dead. It is not taking more than a 2 amp charge, odd for a dead battery.

The machine has that worthless IQ computer on it so I am wondering if there is a memory in that thing draining the battery. This did not occur last year during layup.

fixer67
01-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Because of the way mowers are used only a few months out of the year it is not uncommon to only get a year or two use out of them. Sitting really does a number on lead-acid batteries. I have know some people to have to replace them every year. To make a battery last thought the off season you really need to disconnect it and hook it up to an automatic "trickle" charger.

jkingrph
01-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Because of the way mowers are used only a few months out of the year it is not uncommon to only get a year or two use out of them. Sitting really does a number on lead-acid batteries. I have know some people to have to replace them every year. To make a battery last thought the off season you really need to disconnect it and hook it up to an automatic "trickle" charger.

I do basically this. I got what is called a battery maintainer, two older ones from wal mart had nice brackets for permanent mounting. Using one on a JD lx-277 lawn tractor purchased new in spring of 2000, I am still using original battery. It started fine two days ago.
I have maintainers mounted on my Scag, and a big Honda generator.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
01-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Two years is about right on warm days i start all my mowers and let em run a while.

Potchkins
01-17-2007, 07:22 AM
battery in my eXmark is 3 1/2 year old
and no maintainer or charger

Bayrat
01-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Battery in my Harley, the four in my boat and in my truck which mostly sits in the winter have no problem it seems. Perhaps it is a junk brand, I better look.

Potchkins
01-17-2007, 11:27 PM
try Interstate batteries