PDA

View Full Version : Gate Assist for Enclosed?

HydroCutter
01-17-2007, 04:41 PM
I have an enclosed trailer that I would like to put some kind of gate assist on. Searching here and around the internet I can only find aftermarket items for open trailers. Does anyone know of any of these prodcuts for an enclosed trailer?

Thanks

Dave

Total.Lawn.Care
01-17-2007, 04:46 PM
I have been contemplating making my own tailgate assist based on the designs that I have seen here for open trailers.

Garage Door Spring
Metal Pipe big enough to house said spring
Cable
Pulley
Eye Bolt on Tailgate

Seems simple enough, just have not gotten around to it.

paponte
01-17-2007, 05:45 PM
I have never had an enclosed trailer without factory installed gate assist. Thought that was just standard. :confused:

Eclipse
01-17-2007, 08:14 PM
I have never had an enclosed trailer without factory installed gate assist. Thought that was just standard. :confused:

Me too.

Without an assist I think I would have one hell of a time lifting the rear door on my trailer by myself.

CutNLawns
01-21-2007, 11:34 PM
Check with a company that installs garage doors and maybe they can retro something for you. Same kind of set up!

Again though, never heard of one that didn't have one to begin with.

lubricity
01-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Go the local garage door installer. Buy the cables and torque tube. Easy to install.

ed2hess
01-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Go to a trailer place you can buy the entire assembly that you will need including the cable. We have to replace our spring about every year and last year we went ahead and got a new shaft and bearing ant it was less than $200 from Dolittle.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
01-22-2007, 09:31 PM
New one to me i thought it was standard equipment.

lubricity
01-23-2007, 04:50 AM
Standard Equipment? We usually have to modify half of everything we get anymore. Minor or major, things aren't like they used to be.

hoyboy
01-23-2007, 07:30 AM
I don't know about you folks, but my crews are always breaking the "factory" installed cables on these enclosed trailers. They are a real pain to fix as well.

I'm going to try installing one of those open trailer assists on one of my enclosed trailers...might need to modify it a bit. I need something simple that can be repaired quickly and easily...hoping these work.

Total.Lawn.Care
01-23-2007, 07:43 AM

Yes, usually it is, however, My enclosed trailer has Barn Doors and I fabricated a ramp for the back that closes up inside the doors. I need to put an assist on it.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
01-23-2007, 09:44 AM
I see now,i have a friend that had some garage door springs 6 feet long,he mounted em on a open trailer to help with the back gate works great.