PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl lettering vs. Magnetic signs

amanda8950
01-17-2007, 08:05 PM
I was getting my vehicle lettered this year. I am going with vinyl for the tailgate and maybe the bed sides. My question is should I continue with the vinyl to the front 2 doors or would that look cheap with a magnetic sign on the front 2 doors ? I like how they can get more detailed on the magnets for the front 2 doors vs. the vinyl. Over time, is the possibility of paint fade different for paint that's been under vinyl lettering vs. paint that's been under a magnetic sign ? Anyone who does have the magnetics, is there many problems with then blowing off ?

grassmanak
01-17-2007, 09:58 PM
i bought two magnets about a month ago for snow removal. Within a 10 hour period they both fell off the truck. I now have vinyl.

Uranus
01-17-2007, 10:01 PM
I know of three mags that are on the side of the road somewhere

mosmgras
01-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Go with vinyl.

stroker51
01-18-2007, 02:18 PM
I've got magnets simply because my DOT authority is only for a 25 mile radius from my shop. I'll tow for personal use well outside that range from time to time throughout the year, and that way there is no mistaking me for a commercial motor carrier when I am really towing for myself, or the farm. I can just pull my mags with my company name, phone and DOT #'s off the truck and go on my way. I have had really good luck with my magnets, made a few 200 mile trips, (truck only, no trailer=no DOT problems) at 75-80 and never had one blow off. As far as paint, I don't know, time will tell on that one. I think I'll probably get my new(er) truck vinyled, it's gonna be too hard to match the color and make a magnet look good.

Andyinchville
01-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Never had any problems with the magnetics....Only thing to remember is to take them off every once in awhile to clean and wax the paint underneath where the sign goes...I didn't do this on one truck, now the signs are more or less permanent. (The sign shop recommended weekly but even on my other trucks it is lucky to get done monthly or so).
Andrew