PDA

View Full Version : Stihl 2-cycle. You do not want to hear this

fixer67
01-18-2007, 07:32 PM
I just go back from the Stihl Update school. Stihl is going to introduce a new trimmer that has an electric carb. Yes, you read that right. The carb is going to have the high speed jet replaced with a solenoid wired into the coil and it will change the mix 30 times a second based on what the coil tells it. They also have in the works a EFI trimmer. Before you know it you will have to have a computer to plug into you trimmer or chain saw to run test just like your car. When I first got into this business is was so simple and now you have to call NASA to work on just about anything.Where is it going to end? I miss the old days of points and condenser ignition.

ed2hess
01-18-2007, 07:44 PM
I guess this little unit will be a lot cheaper to buy and run forever? What did they say?

fixer67
01-18-2007, 08:33 PM
He did not say anything about price or how long it would last. He said they are doing it to try and meet the new EPA specs. With that said if they get it to work you may see other OEMs going this route.

ed2hess
01-18-2007, 10:26 PM
So how do they get the timing on this device.....coil to magnet gap might be real critical now?

fixer67
01-18-2007, 10:33 PM
So how do they get the timing on this device.....coil to magnet gap might be real critical now?

He said that if the gap on current model coils on BR500 was over .008" the unit would run but only at low RPMs. I am guessing the same will be true of the electric carb and EFI system. When he told us about the electric carb and an EFI set up we all though it was a joke at first. If any one else has been to the 2007 Stihl Update School maybe the can tell me. I would like to know more myself. Sounds like it is going to be a mess to deal with.

lawnboy dan
01-19-2007, 09:25 AM
that is just what sthil needs is to over complicate their allready unreliable machines.

SLR
01-19-2007, 02:29 PM
that is just what sthil needs is to over complicate their allready unreliable machines.
==
I thought sthil was supposed to be top notch professional machinerey,i too thought sthil was iffy and bought a husky saw instead.

MowerMedic77
01-19-2007, 05:09 PM
The carb is going to have the high speed jet replaced with a solenoid wired into the coil and it will change the mix 30 times a second based on what the coil tells it.

Like Sthil ignition coils are known for their high quality:rolleyes:

lawnboy dan
01-19-2007, 07:02 PM
exactly my point-i have replaced more bad coils than i care to remember.

ed2hess
01-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Apparently Echo has their own design of this same idea setting in the wings.....waiting to see if a big shoe drops on emissions. Last year Echo said that they was sure they could continue to meet standands without any 4mix but seems like they may need something beyond straight 2 stroke.