PDA

View Full Version : Is a 24' trailer too big?

zz4guy
01-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Hi guys. I'm new to this business and will probably be focused mainly on residentials this year.

I am looking at a 24' enclosed trailer to double as a lawn mowing trailer and also to haul my race car to the track a few times a year.

Money is really not an issue as it doesnt cost much more for me to buy a 20' vs. a 12' or 16'. Plus I could sell the car hauler I have now and break even.

What I am worried about is hauling the 20' around town. Do you think it is practical if you have 10 properties to get to in a day? Or is it not worth it? Should I just get a 16' so its easy to tow around town? Thanks guys.

JDWalkbehind
01-19-2007, 04:24 PM
i really dought you need that much room. and hauling that thing would shock i n the city. i've got an 7x18 and it could fit 2 z's with plunty of space for a w/b or quik trak if i wanted to move my big truck box and gas cans. go with what you need for space. and you've already got a car hauler so what's it matter. just my opinion.

zz4guy
01-19-2007, 04:35 PM
and you've already got a car hauler so what's it matter. just my opinion.

Well because it would be an enclosed car hauler :clapping:
Also the car hauler I have now is kind of a POS. Looks nasty and doesn't have a breakaway setup yet. And it probably weighs as much as a feakin enclosed trailer because its so old lol.
Anyway I'm really trying to weight the PITA factor for hauling a big 20' rig around town vs a 16' or so. I've heard most guys say 12' is borderline so I'd be getting a 16' regardless to haul the lawn mowers.

Az Gardener
01-19-2007, 04:37 PM
I guess it really depends on the size of the streets in town, what kind of truck you pull with and if you deal with cul-de-sac's much. We pull a 8.5X16 with a longbed dodge with the crew cab and its a lot of truck

I would'nt go any bigger for here. People get crabby when their mail is not delivered or the trash does not get picked up because there was a house parked on the street.

Eclipse
01-19-2007, 04:48 PM
It depends on how long of a truck you are pulling it with and how much equipment you plan on hauling.

I had an 18 and went to a 22. With a reg cab, long bed truck I do not really have much of a problem.

zz4guy
01-19-2007, 04:55 PM
I've got a chevy 2500 regular cab, 8' bed.

02DURAMAX
01-19-2007, 05:01 PM
If you have the room on the road then you can use a 24'.....but if you don,t I would go with a 16',18' or maybe a 20'..

Shady Brook
01-20-2007, 06:46 PM
My biggest trailer is just shy of 20 foot, but has a 5 foot extended tongue behind a ext. cab dodge with an extended hitch. It is likely close to the 24ft with the added tongue. I don't have any more problem pulling it in congested areas then I do pulling a 14ft with regular tongue behind a regular cab Ford. The only time it can be an issue is parking. In tight neighborhoods you end up blocking driveways and such, but your not there long.

I don't see a real difference between you using the 24 or the 16 when driving. You can never have to much space anyway. Sounds like you really want the big enclosed, I say go for it!

Shawns Lawns
01-21-2007, 05:22 AM
A big factor would be how comfortable you are hauling a 24' around. I have a 20' open trailer and somtimes wish i went with the 24'. In the end it has alot do to with your comfort level, roads in your area, width of the roads you will be on, and a place to store it in when you get home. It would be nice to have every thing you own for business with you all the time.:waving:

naughty62
01-21-2007, 07:09 AM
I hate narrow trailers just as much as shorter one .it is nice to be able load a 4x4 ,all the equipment a guy needs on a job .I would never buy a beavertail or a dove tail. it can be pain loading mowers and such when your parked on a hill .Not to mention I see a lot of 7 foot wide trailer for sale.If Ican not rescue a pick up or juniors low profile buick I dont want it.

Eclipse
01-21-2007, 10:41 AM
I would never buy a beavertail or a dove tail. it can be pain loading mowers and such when your parked on a hill .Not to mention I see a lot of 7 foot wide trailer for sale.If Ican not rescue a pick up or juniors low profile buick I dont want it.

Unless you want to scrape the deck of the mower while loading and unloading a beavertail is probably a good idea for most.

Also it is pretty hard to load a lower profile vehicle into an enclosed without a beavertail.

One last thing, you would have a hard time loading a full size pickup into a regular enclosed tailer. A 4x4 wouldn't fit unless you got the etra height on the trailer