PDA

View Full Version : ??? about putting sides on open trailer

PLS-Tx
01-19-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm planning to put plywood sides on my 16' open trailer, 4' high all the way around. Has anyone else done this, if so what pointers can you give on this project?

I'm planning to paint the wood black, to match the trailer. Would it be necessary to use treated plywood if I'm going to paint it?

mike lane lawn care
01-19-2007, 10:25 PM
I'm planning to put plywood sides on my 16' open trailer, 4' high all the way around. Has anyone else done this, if so what pointers can you give on this project?

I'm planning to paint the wood black, to match the trailer. Would it be necessary to use treated plywood if I'm going to paint it?

i put sides on mine, use plywood and not that particle board crap that i used, falls apart the first rain it sees. You want to add as many supports as you can, bolt 2x4's to the inside of the trailer and screw the plywood into that. the more supports you have, the more stable it will be. Add removable supports on the top if you plan to load it up with leaves or other debris. Paint it good and thick and you can use regular wood, just every so often, check the paint and re-do if needed.

PLS-Tx
01-20-2007, 10:16 AM
i put sides on mine, use plywood and not that particle board crap that i used, falls apart the first rain it sees. You want to add as many supports as you can, bolt 2x4's to the inside of the trailer and screw the plywood into that. the more supports you have, the more stable it will be. Add removable supports on the top if you plan to load it up with leaves or other debris. Paint it good and thick and you can use regular wood, just every so often, check the paint and re-do if needed.

Thanks for the reply, I'm planning to use plywood, just not sure if I should use treated wood or not.

jtkplc
01-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the reply, I'm planning to use plywood, just not sure if I should use treated wood or not.

I would think so, but I'm no expert.

naughty62
01-21-2007, 06:31 AM
I did our goose neck last year.green treated .double nutted carriage bolt.belt sander with 50 grit to make stake fit into stake pocket. If you are using carriage bolt drill the holes slightly bigger.green treated will slighty warp .especially if it very wet.I uesr 2x 4s not plywoood be cause we dont haul aggregate on it

Lynden-Jeff
01-21-2007, 09:59 AM
If you paint the plywood you are fine. Treated plywood is like 5 times the price and your going to paint it anyways. Not sure how well pressure treated plywood takes paint or how well its treatment works after paint. IMO just paint it with some regular old outdoor paint or stain it a cedar color with that deck stuff. Both look nice.

Cheers
Jeff

Grn Mtn
01-21-2007, 10:24 AM
How high are you going? For what reason?

I ask because plywood gets heavy quick, on your size trailer that could be300-400 lbs.

On my trailer I wanted to be able to carry stone dust, mulch and dirt and leaves with greater ease, but I didn't want to kill my trailers capacity. So I just sheeted the first foot (floor up to the rails) with thin steel. This would hold the stone dust and anything else in the trailer. then I added 2x4 steel post holders and quickly slap up plywood sides for mulch and leaves.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=68160&d=1163700530

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-21-2007, 03:37 PM

What will you be hauling? If it's mulch, I would not go any higher thatn 2 ft. Your axles will not be able to hold the weight of 412 cubic feet of mulch with the 4' sidewalls.

Promow Professional
01-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Don't know if you want to go this direction but in the long run it might be better to sell and buy a trailer with sides. I once bought a trailer and welded my own angle iron and expanded metal. It was more of a headache than it was worth. I've never been a big fan of plywood sides even if they are painted. If done right it could work but I have yet to see one that really stands out. I think if you do decide to go with the plywood sides paint is a must or they will weather in no time.

ed2hess
01-22-2007, 09:09 PM
I guess you are doing this for security because it sure is painful to have to go through the back every time you want to go into the trailer. Even putting on tarp gets hard. Most people use the same screen material that is used on the rear gate, It is light and will keep mulch or dirt in place.

PLS-Tx
12-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

We did put the plywood on this trailer some time back, and it works great. I'll try to post some pictures later. We decided to use treated, and have not painted it yet, we may paint the outside this winter.