PDA

View Full Version : Do i need to charge my Trailer Battery?

Shawns Lawns
01-20-2007, 10:07 AM
I was wondering what maintenance i should do to the little battery for the electric brakes on my trailer. I don't use it all winter should i just plug it in to the truck or take it out? Looking for your help?:waving:

desii
01-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Good question. I don't think you should have to take it out, but I guess it would n't hurt (I never have). You could put a trickle charger on it if your concerned. As I'm sure you know, the battery is charged from you truck when it's hooked up; from either the brakes or lights when they are used.

muddstopper
01-20-2007, 07:41 PM
If the battery is hooked up properly, it is charded from a seperate wire than either the brake wire or light wires. The plug will pull power from the truck as long as it is hooked to the truck and will charge whenever the truck is running. If you have your brake battery hooked so that it only gets power when you apply the brakes or turn on the lights, you have it hooked up wrong.

Shawns Lawns
01-21-2007, 06:13 AM
What i have is a box it has a test button on it to tell you if it is charged. Also It has a scale or light meter that on the top it says fully charged and when it is fully charged and you press the test button is has a green light. Then under that one it has a recharge light and if you press the test button it will have a red light, and the third one on the bottom says charging and if i plug the cord into the truck this will illuminate with a yellow light. I know you are not suppose to charge a frozen battery and since its been really cold here lately i did not want to ruin it by plugging the trailer into my truck. I am not sure if the battery is frozen, i don't think it is but i do not use my trailer all winter and was not sure if it was OK to leave the trailer alone till April or if i should plug it into the truck every once and awhile. :waving:

Shawns Lawns
01-28-2007, 04:45 PM
anyone have any more info:waving:

VnDrWLawnCare
01-28-2007, 10:15 PM
This is a good question.

Look forward to learning more about this.

Mjh Excavating
01-28-2007, 11:03 PM
That battery controls your brakes should the trailer come unhooked from the tow vehicle (breakaway switch). It is supposed to apply the trailer brakes for ? seconds (sorry don't remember). It is important to keep this battery fully charged. In my area DOT likes to pull out that little breakaway and make sure your brakes lock up. If they don't prepare to pay a tow bill. Put a trickle charger on it if your not using it everyday. Hope this helps.

thebobcatkid86
03-03-2007, 01:03 AM
I believe in Ohio at least that you are not required to have brakes if it is a) a single axle and b) if the gvwr is under a certain amount. I have a light single axle and I dont have any braking on it at all. I do have a 2 5/16 ball hitch that is rated to 2 1/2 times the max. gross weight of the trailer as well as break-away chains that are suppose to withstand 33,000 lbs which is 3 1/2 times what the entire rig (truck, trailer, and bobcat) weighs.