PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Starter Problem??

F2K
01-20-2007, 10:31 AM
I own a Gravely 260-z, I have had starter issues for a while and I'm fed up. Here is my issue, last year when I tried to crank it nothing would happen. If I kept turning the key finally it may turn over and crank. Sometimes it never would, so with a tap of the hammer it would crank. I have replaced the battery, ignition switch, starter solenoind and starter. It still does the same thing. I've checked voltage from ignition switch to the starter which reads 12v. I have ran out of ideas and options.

Restrorob
01-20-2007, 11:11 AM
What's the model and spec. numbers on this engine ? Doe's it even click when you hit the key ?

MowerMedic77
01-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Check you Ground, any time I have an electrical problem that starts driving me crazy I make sure I have a good ground from the battery to wherever the manufacture located it, block,frame,starter bolt etc. Hope this helps:)

SLR
01-20-2007, 06:20 PM
Possibly brushes inside starter old/worn.

khouse
01-20-2007, 06:25 PM
can you tap the new starter and make it work? maybe it's the crimp connector on the battery connection at the starter?

A.D Services
01-20-2007, 11:47 PM
if its the starter you can pick up a starter rebuild kit or take it somewhere to have it rebuilt

fixer67
01-21-2007, 01:07 AM
If that is a permanent magnet type starter I am going to laugh when you break the magnets and have to buy a new starter. NEVER HIT A STARTER WHEN A HAMMMER:hammerhead:

F2K
01-21-2007, 10:45 PM
It's a brand new starter, you caqn here it clicking. If I keep trying the key sometimes it will finally turn over. When it gets hot it will crank fine. I don't know why a new starter would do the same thing my old one did.

A.D Services
01-21-2007, 10:49 PM
could it possibly be a saftey that is messed up and then you bump it some how it starts.

F2K
01-28-2007, 08:44 PM
i don't know, i just wish i can get this annoying issue fixed.

dutch1
01-28-2007, 09:51 PM
We can't help you out much without engine numbers. Post those as Restro indicated and someone may be of some help. It the engine has an external solenoid(not on the starter) that's a place you can start. If you put on a new starter that has the solenoid on the starter then you have other issues, some of which have been pointed out.

Dutch

Jim@MilkyWay
01-28-2007, 11:58 PM
I own a Gravely 260-z, I have had starter issues for a while and I'm fed up. Here is my issue, last year when I tried to crank it nothing would happen. If I kept turning the key finally it may turn over and crank. Sometimes it never would, so with a tap of the hammer it would crank. I have replaced the battery, ignition switch, starter solenoind and starter. It still does the same thing. I've checked voltage from ignition switch to the starter which reads 12v. I have ran out of ideas and options.

I don't own a Gravely; never have, but a starter circuit must have a relay or some kind of device to supply a heavy current to the starter motor. Your problem just sounds so familiar to me, that I have to ask the question.
Do you know how to check voltage across the starter relay, if in fact it has one. Starter relays usually have 4 connectors. Two large supply terminals and a pair of signal voltage or control terminals. A DMM should read very close to 0Vdc when you check between the two large, heavy-current contact terminals if checked while a friend holds the key to the start position. If the contacts are burnt or dirty, then it will do exactly as you describe.

tomo
01-29-2007, 08:10 AM
hello, if it is a solenoild shift starter u maybe able to gently tap the case or solenoid [brushes maybe sticking/worn out ,solenoid plunger maybe sticking]
Caution heavy or repeat taping may damage str mtr . In all cases str mtr will need to be rebuilt any ways.
All of above is assuming wiring ,battery,altenator ok Eg correct volts and currents where appropiate.
tomo:waving:

F2K
01-29-2007, 09:08 AM
These are my engine numbers

Kawasaki FH721v 25 HP