PDA

View Full Version : Kohler cv25 wont charge battery

MowerMick
01-20-2007, 09:35 PM
I just installed a new flywheel and stator on my Kohler cv25. When I start it the light stays on telling me its not charging.

The magnets fell out of my other flywheel. So I got a good used flywheel and a new stater off ebay. I installed them and now the light is always on.

I did however removere what looks like a jumperwire and can not remember exactialy where it goes back. I read somewhere that this jumper wire is very important. Can someone please help me????

I have done alot to this motor, new exhaust, gaskets here and there, new seat, new hood, bumper, lights. All bought off ebay for 10 cents to the dollar. I want to get this thing going.

fixer67
01-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Maybe this is the jumper you are talking about

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43793&d=1130901927

MowerMick
01-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Thats it, and that is where I put it backat, but then took it back off thinking it didnt go there. I will put it back on and try it.

If the light stays on what is my next step???

Hook up my meter somewhere??

Restrorob
01-20-2007, 10:52 PM
If the light stays on what is my next step???
Hook up my meter somewhere??

You will most likely find re-hooking that ground wire will fix your problem.

fixer67
01-20-2007, 11:02 PM
This type of rectifier/regulator is a reference voltage sensing type. That means it has to "see" the battery before it will switch on. To see the battery it has to receive at least 4 to 6 volts. checked see that your getting battery voltage at the middle terminal on the rectifier/regulator with all the wires plugged up and the key in the run position (engine does not need to be running as all as the key in RUN). If it does not get the reference voltage it will never put out.

MowerMick
01-22-2007, 12:20 AM
Hey I installed that jumper and its charging. Atleast the light went out!!

Since I bought it over a year ago it never did charge. Finally the rest of the magnets came off the flywheel. When I took it off it looks like 2 of them had been gone.

Anyone have a parts diagram of a Scotts 2554. I need the hinge mechanism/bracket that holds the front of the hood.
I cant find anything about Scotts online.

Once again thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

carcrz
01-22-2007, 12:29 AM
Check to see if Anderson's picked up their parts line.

MowerMick
01-22-2007, 12:31 AM
I will do that, thanks

MowerMick
02-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Well i tried the mower but when I engage the blades the charging light comes back on.

Is it going to ground you think?? I hope the electric blade servo/ whatever its called. Is not bad!!

Any advice?

MICK

Restrorob
02-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Have you put a multimeter on the battery and checked the charging system out-put ? How old is this battery and how many times has it been ran down and re-charged ? When you engaged the blades did you give it full throttle to see if the light went out ?

I know, A lot of questions but the more info. the better, What's the full model number (under the seat) ?

The PTO clutch could be worn and drawing too many amps causing the light to come on, That's why I would like the full model number off the unit.

MowerMick
02-14-2007, 10:04 PM
its a scotts 2554mower motor is the CV25S

I checked the charging and its putting out 13-14 volts.
Thanks for your help.

Restrorob
02-14-2007, 10:50 PM
If the charging system is putting out over 13.2 you may want to check the PTO clutch adjustment as below. If it's out of adjustment that could cause your idiot light to come on from drawing too many amps.

Also, It looks like this unit was made by John Deere for Scott's, Below is a link to look up parts.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

There are three slots in part # 5 to insert a 0.012 feeler gage and adjust the three nuts until you feel a little drag on the gage. But only move each nut a little at a time because one will throw the other out and go around a couple times to make sure it's evenly adjusted.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59694&stc=1&d=1152227936

thecrankshaft
02-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Well let's see, you bought a random flywheel and starter. I wonder what your ignition timing is now?

For 15 amp and above charging systems, the flywheel has six magnets. For 3 amp systems, there are only four magnets. There are also different stators for 3 amp, 15 amp, and 25 amp systems, which can be differentiated by looking at them.

The rectifier-regulator does need a good ground, as stated.

MowerMick
02-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Well let's see, you bought a random flywheel and starter. I wonder what your ignition timing is now?

For 15 amp and above charging systems, the flywheel has six magnets. For 3 amp systems, there are only four magnets. There are also different stators for 3 amp, 15 amp, and 25 amp systems, which can be differentiated by looking at them.

The rectifier-regulator does need a good ground, as stated.

My old flywheel had six magnets and so does my new one.
The stator was new and said for 15 amp systems. Same part # on package as the dealer told me. Im using the same rectifier as before.
I feel these parts are all good and for this motor.

I did put a ground on it and the light goes out about 4 seconds after startup.
Now it comes backon when I engage the blades.
I will look at the blade/pto clutch as how to adjust it. Im not sure where to put the feeler gauge just looking at that picture. I will put the mower on my lift and look under it.

Am I suppose to be checking clearance between part 1 and 5?

You guys are helping a great deal. I appreciate it!

Mick

Restrorob
02-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Am I suppose to be checking clearance between part 1 and 5?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Restrorob/PTOClutchAdjustment.jpg

MowerMick
02-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Restrobob. I will do that in the next few days. Thanks again for all the help.

Tuesday I had surgery to have two cysts removed from inside my nose. All I can do now is just ask the questions. I hope by this weekend I can get out to my shop and check the pto out.

I still have questions on replacing the motor from my lawnboy.
The current motor blows smoke and burning oil. At one time I hit a piece of metal half burried in the ground and the crank is bent about .025.

To make a long story short:
I want to replace the motor with another motor but can I just get a regular 6 hp motor with out the tapered end and get the replacement part that screws in the end of the crank to hold a regualr 22" blade.

My tightwadness is really showing i know. The deck and controlls on my lawnboy are still good though its 8 years old. I would like to get a simple 100.00 motor and make it work.. We can discuss this at a later time.
I will get spec #'s soon

Once again you guys help me alot!!
Thanks.
Mick

Restrorob
02-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Hmmm, On the Lawn-boy I really don't have any experience with them, There just isn't any around in my area so I don't think I would be much help on it.

I have a question for you though; Do you actually use that hopped up blender ?

Have a speedy recovery.....

MowerMick
02-15-2007, 11:52 PM
Yes I so, not every weekend but on party weekends yes.

It has a big bore carb, tiny tach and im in the process of taking the twin pipes off and installing a pipe off a pocket bike I got off ebay for 3 bucks.

Its just another toy.

I think there is a better pic of it on my old aol page. If its still up.

www.members.aol.com/QuickMick1/Quad.html

Mick