PDA

View Full Version : Strecthed drive chain - remove a link?

marcs
01-21-2007, 07:36 PM
The drive chain on my DR Mower has stretched beyond adjustment, and I still anticipate some heavy usage in thick hillside brush during the next two months. Is there a problem with just removing a link?

Grease Monkey
01-21-2007, 08:02 PM
there is not a problem with removing a link to get you back going but for best opperation replace the chain chains arent that much and would last longer and probably not give you much problems afterwards

Restrorob
01-21-2007, 08:14 PM
I would suggest a new chain as G.M. said, As a chain stretches it rides up on the sprocket teeth causing more wear on sprockets. A new chain will ride back down in the teeth in most cases for longer sprocket life.

dutch1
01-21-2007, 08:32 PM
As Restro indicates, replace the chain. In addition, stretched chain could indicate chain and sprocket wear as well. Stretched chain will also elongate the notches in the sprockets and cause escessive wear in the sprockets. If teeth age getting sharp or if teeth ends are starting to break off due to their thinness, even a new chain will be a temporary fix. If the notches in the sprockets are still cylindrical and sprocket teeth are not sharp, a new chain will likely do the job.

Dutch

marcs
01-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the insights, sometimes easiest and fastest solution creates more headaches down the road.

fixer67
01-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Replace the chain as soon as you can. I have seen a bad chain turn a sprocket into a Skill Saw blade and then you will be buying a sprocket as well.

MowerMick
01-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Im not sure whats the cost of the sprockets. But for the longest chain life you need to put on new sprockets anytime you change a chain. And Vice versa.

dutch1
01-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Just checking DR brush cutters, it would appear that lower sprocket replacement could be expensive as it is part of the differential.

Dutch