PDA

View Full Version : Regular axle vs Drop axle

Lynden-Jeff
01-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Hey,

What exactly is a drop axle? Why is this more desirable then a non drop axle. Is it worth paying more to upgrade to drop axles?

Cheers
Jeff

start2finish
01-21-2007, 08:33 PM
are you talking about a truck or trailer. more details please

Lynden-Jeff
01-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Dual axle 16 X 6.5 ft open landscaping trailer.

Cheers
Jeff

gene gls
01-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Dual axle 16 X 6.5 ft open landscaping trailer.

Cheers
Jeff

Drop axel, duel brakes....Your load is lower to the ground, trailer handles better, tail gate angle is lower for equipment loading....

leaflandscape
01-22-2007, 03:52 PM
MUCH better for equipment loading, and if you use the trailer for any kind of construction or wheelbarrowing, it's like day vs night. I'd strongly recommend the drop axle.

Scag48
01-22-2007, 04:05 PM
Drop axle, in a basic term, means that the deck height is below the top of the wheels whereas a deckover is just that, the deck is over the top of the wheels. Deckovers are typically wider (8'6", 8', etc.), but I think you can get a 7' wide deck on a drop axle between the fenders pretty easy.

Lynden-Jeff
01-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Hey,

Ok Thanks. And that was my second question, how nessesary are second axle brakes? Right now my 12 footer has no brakes and I can stop OK with just the truck, all the equiptment in sig is on the trailer minus the 32". My mechanic said to replace trailer brakes is cheap so its good to set them high so they also help the truck slow down. Is this somewhat true?

Cheers
Jeff

Scag48
01-22-2007, 07:45 PM
The way I figure it, even though you might not actaully NEED the second axle brakes, I'd get them. You'll put less wear on the tow vehicle's brakes, which are much more expensive to replace, and the added safety of knowing that you have the best setup you can put on that trailer is worth every penny.

gene gls
01-22-2007, 08:55 PM
When you run front brakes on a two axel trailer, you "always" have to make sure you have newer ( taller) tires on the front axel. With the taller tires on front, you will always have better tire contact to the road. It doesen't sound like a big deal, but it is when you need to stop. I would never buy another dual axel trailer with just front brakes.

tomo
01-23-2007, 04:46 PM
hello, drop axles lower your load height ,with all the benefits as listed earlier,mainly clearance 4 mowers being the most important eg my own trailer has a deck height of 15 inches which is very low . It all really depends on the type of suspension fitted and wheel size etc .
Brakes general rule below 1650 lbs not required
1650 ----4400 brakes on one axle
4400 and over brakes all wheels with brake away system
[check transport depatment on regulations]

tomo:waving: