PDA

View Full Version : locke mowers

charlieblackcat
07-05-2001, 04:41 PM
I'm thinking about starting up a residential buisness & after working on golf courses for years, i'm addicted to the reel mowers

can any mechanics tell me if I should avoid these mowers, or if they appreciate them more?

Also thinking about using a 'national' reel mower for hills.. any comments here for residential work?

thanks

vipermanz
07-05-2001, 06:01 PM
there high maintenance

sdwally
07-06-2001, 10:18 AM
Reels give a cleaner cut and you can mow shorter. We mow at 3/4" with reels. Turf will look awesome, however maintanence cost are much higher.
Size for size: Hustler Range Wing has about an 11' mowing width and use 7 blades. The blades are changed about 4 to 5 times a year. Figuring 5 times a year thats 35 blades at about $13 ends up about $455 for blades. 5 gang Toro unit which has about the same mowing width, changes(or sharpens) reel about 3 times a year. Each reel cost between $120 to $500 to repair and sharpen each time, with an average cost of about $220. At $220 per reel times 15 reels thats a whopping $3,300. You can probably have less expense than we do since your mower should not be hitting tent spikes and other hidden debris in the grass left behind by people visiting a park.
If you use a singe blade unit your cost figures down to about $65 for rotary and $660 for a reel unit per year. If you don't rebuild the reels yourself your cost will be much higher due to the difference in labor charges.

Kent Lawns
07-06-2001, 11:19 AM
After mowing residentail/business properties, you'll soon become UNaddicted to reels.

I've mowed with Locke mowers, used them every day in the '70's.

As a hobby or to mow your own lawn, fine. Mowing for a business, no way.

charlieblackcat
07-06-2001, 02:15 PM
kent - why do you give the thumbs down?

edward hedrick
08-03-2001, 06:33 PM
I started with a 70"Locke I mowed 4 lawns the next week I did
the 4 with my 44 Toro. The Toro Rotary was almost as fast. Was
easier to get off the truck, Less expensive to sharpen and maintain. If you got to have a reel try a national easier onbumpy
ground.

khouse
08-06-2001, 02:44 AM
I had 2 national 84 inch reel mowers I used on my personal lawn. With the rollers all the way down it still mowed too short, maybe 1.5 inches. Mine were gear drive and when I slowed down to make a sharp turn the blades slowed as well and sometimes choked. If you were to get one get a hydro. I personally didn't like it for my lawn. It also got high centered alot. They are really just fairway mowers. Maybe the new ones will mow 3 or 4 inches, I don't know.