PDA

View Full Version : Briggs and Stratton starting problem

srh182
01-22-2007, 10:23 PM
I have a briggs and stratton model series 31F700. Every time I go to start it, it turns one revoulation and then the starter wont turn it any more. I pulled the spark plug out and tried it again and it turns over just fine. any other questions let me know. thanks Shawn

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
01-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Electric or pull start.

Grease Monkey
01-22-2007, 11:11 PM
check the valve clearance these engines are bad about comming out of adjustment. if that does not fix it the compression valve on the camshaft is not working properly. valve adjustment usually takes care of the problem though. and questions hit me up i can help you more.

brian

khouse
01-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Replace the battery with a known good one and try it. If it doesn't work then you can run an amp test on the starter. I think by taking the plug out the starter and or battery is at fault.

Restrorob
01-23-2007, 12:18 AM
You will most likely find the valves needing adjustment as GM said.
Below is the procedure and spec.

Remove the valve cover then rotate the engine over by hand until you reach top dead center compression stroke, Then remove the spark plug. Once at TDC insert a small screw driver in the plug hole touching the piston and rotate clockwise past TDC until you see the screw driver move down inside the hole 1/4". Now loosen the jam screw in the center of the adjustment nut and adjust to .005-.007" both intake and exhaust. Hold the adjuster nut with your wrench while tightening the jam screw. It may take a couple times to get it right because when tightening the jam screw it could throw the adjustment out so check after tightening.

srh182
01-23-2007, 03:12 AM
thanks for all the help i will give it a try and see what happens

khouse
01-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Did you ever get it fixed?

srh182
01-29-2007, 02:35 AM
yes it was the valves i got that fixed and it turns over good still wont start but i think i am missing a small part that goes on top of the valve but it is on order and should be in soon
thanks for all the help