PDA

View Full Version : 12V impact wrenches

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-23-2007, 01:13 AM
What is the best, most economical 12v corded impact wrench that will be able to change blades on my ztr's?

rockytopp
01-23-2007, 02:10 AM
I have had a el cheapieo from Harbour Freight for about three years now and it does all I want and then some. I cost around thirty bucks on sale and comes with case and several sockets. I have change truck tires with it, it is not the fastest out there but tough for the dollars. Only thing is getting used to the way it operates. When you pull the trigger it whirs and winds up until it gets to a built in RPM. and then it WAM"s, and it stops, don't let off of the trigger and it whir's again then repeats the cycle... at first I thought what a piece of junk,,,, boy was I wrong. If and when this one goes I will replace it with another.
I think it would suit your needs but suit your self... I like mine..

J&R Landscaping
01-23-2007, 01:22 PM
I bought an electric impact gun a few years back. Man, that thing was absolute JUNK! It was a milwalke branded tool so I though I was getting a quality tool but I was wrong. I kept it for about 4 days then decided to take it back.

I later went out and got a SNAP-ON 18V cordless impact gun. 550ft lbs of torque on this baby! It was kinda costly but I have so much power, I can change blades, car tires, pick-up tires. My buddy has one and has changed the tires on an International 4700 rollback as well. I paid $450 for it right off the truck and it was a great buy.

fixer67
01-25-2007, 12:58 AM
If you are talking about the 12 volt one that plug into a cigarette lighter forget it. Most of these types use a centrifugal type impact system. Which means when you pull the trigger the motor builds up speed and then when it gets to top speed it give just ONE impact and then you have to wait until it builds up speed again. I know a few people that have bought them and said they were not worth the box they came in. One was gave to me and after I used it once I gave to away.
The reason I am saying all of this is you specify said 12 VOLT impact gun instead of BATTERY impact gun.
Below is the type to stay away from.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-25-2007, 01:12 AM
If you are talking about the 12 volt one that plug into a cigarette lighter forget it. Most of these types use a centrifugal type impact system. Which means when you pull the trigger the motor builds up speed and then when it gets to top speed it give just ONE impact and then you have to wait until it builds up speed again. I know a few people that have bought them and said they were not worth the box they came in. One was gave to me and after I used it once I gave to away.
The reason I am saying all of this is you specify said 12 VOLT impact gun instead of BATTERY impact gun.
Below is the type to stay away from.

Shucks, I was hoping I could buy one of those for cheap and slap a 7 pole plug end on it so I could hook it to my truck and change blades while my mowers were up on my truck ramp(runon sent!). I guess because of that startup lag, they wouldn't be able to take off blades.

fixer67
01-25-2007, 10:14 PM
What type impact do you have at home? If you own an electric impact just get a 12 volt power inverter. Make sure the invertor will handle the gun.
If you do still want to get on of those 12 volt types try to find some one who has one and borrow it and see it if will do what you want. Now I said MOST of those type are centrifugal type impact but you may find one that is not. Look for the ratting to see if it states "BMP" (blows per minute). If you do not see an BPM rating then stay away. Any gun should have at the lest a 1000 BPM rating. So guns go up to 3000 BPM.

Jason Pallas
01-27-2007, 11:55 PM
We own both a 110v electric impaact and a couple of the portable 12v car/truck kinds like the one pictured previously. The 110 v is a cheapie - about $50 at TSC. It works like a champ!!!! I've used it to get some of the hardest nuts/lugs off. It's got about 450 lbs or so if I recall.
The 12v centrifical / one pop guns are also pretty darn good for an out on the road/emergency use. I know the guys here have knocked them pretty hard, but I picked up a bunch on Ebay for about $10 ea - put them in each of our trucks, and the guys love them. They've saved our butts a few times. They're certainly worth spending 10-20 bucks and throwing in the truck tool box...... but also get a 110v for the shop.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-28-2007, 02:51 AM
We own both a 110v electric impaact and a couple of the portable 12v car/truck kinds like the one pictured previously. The 110 v is a cheapie - about $50 at TSC. It works like a champ!!!! I've used it to get some of the hardest nuts/lugs off. It's got about 450 lbs or so if I recall.
The 12v centrifical / one pop guns are also pretty darn good for an out on the road/emergency use. I know the guys here have knocked them pretty hard, but I picked up a bunch on Ebay for about $10 ea - put them in each of our trucks, and the guys love them. They've saved our butts a few times. They're certainly worth spending 10-20 bucks and throwing in the truck tool box...... but also get a 110v for the shop.

I use air tools at my shop. What I want is an affordable impact that will allow me to change blades on a ztr out in the field.

Jason Pallas
01-28-2007, 04:09 PM
They do have impact wrenches that are rechargeable (like the drills). However, I hear that the battery doesn't last that long when you're using it and it takes about 2 hrs to recharge.
Those 12v battery adapter chargers like the one pictured above really have done well for us - in the field. They won't get everything - but they get about 90% of the stuff. They might be your best bet - like I said, you can get them really cheap on EBAY.