PDA

View Full Version : 19hp Kaw start problem

DJL50
01-23-2007, 01:14 AM
I have a 19hp Kaw (on a Toro)with only 34 hours on it. At the end of the season I noticed it was getting a little harder to start. When I went to service it for the winter It took like 15min to get it going. Once running it would run rough for 30 sec. then run fine. Next day could not get it to start. It will crank, you can smell fuel but like it was not getting any spark. Would not fire on starting fluid. Once or twice it would just hit a little like it had gotten spark for just half second. Mower is under warranty so off to the dealer it went. Sat their for two weeks. Called today wanting to know what the problem is. They have been starting it all day with no problem. Any idea of what it could be. A bad part???

lubricity
01-23-2007, 05:52 AM
Maybe a safety switch wasn't made completely

John Gamba
01-23-2007, 08:08 AM
I have a 19hp Kaw (on a Toro)with only 34 hours on it. At the end of the season I noticed it was getting a little harder to start. When I went to service it for the winter It took like 15min to get it going. Once running it would run rough for 30 sec. then run fine. Next day could not get it to start. It will crank, you can smell fuel but like it was not getting any spark. Would not fire on starting fluid. Once or twice it would just hit a little like it had gotten spark for just half second. Mower is under warranty so off to the dealer it went. Sat their for two weeks. Called today wanting to know what the problem is. They have been starting it all day with no problem. Any idea of what it could be. A bad part???

Coil maybe.

sjessen
01-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Check your choke to see if it is closing all the way.

Tadams
01-23-2007, 12:13 PM

I have a 17 Kawi and that is what happened to it. If the throttle and choke are on the same cable this will happen.

DJL50
01-23-2007, 05:10 PM
The throttle and choke are not on the same cable. It also would not fire with starting fluid.

John Gamba
01-23-2007, 05:19 PM
The throttle and choke are not on the same cable. It also would not fire with starting fluid.

Have them run the engine for awhile. turn it off and see if it starts.

sjessen
01-23-2007, 05:32 PM

Did you ask the dealer what they did to get it started?

DJL50
01-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Did you ask the dealer what they did to get it started?
They said they did nothing but get on it and start it up. They called and asked why I had it their. Everything was ok. Is it possible for the coil to work off and on at times if it is in the process of going bad?

sjessen
01-23-2007, 07:37 PM
They said they did nothing but get on it and start it up. They called and asked why I had it their. Everything was ok. Is it possible for the coil to work off and on at times if it is in the process of going bad?

I suppose it is possible but with the unit being so new I would doubt it. I would ask them exactly how they started it. One other thought, was the unit inside the dealer's heated shop? When you tried to start it was it in a heated or unheated space?

Once you got it started and warmed up did it start more easily?

John Gamba
01-23-2007, 07:42 PM

I think they have had bad coils in the past. has it died on you at all, or is it just not starting??

DJL50
01-23-2007, 07:47 PM
I suppose it is possible but with the unit being so new I would doubt it. I would ask them exactly how they started it. One other thought, was the unit inside the dealer's heated shop? When you tried to start it was it in a heated or unheated space?

Once you got it started and warmed up did it start more easily?

When I tried to start the unit it was in an unheated garage but it was in the 40's-50's at the time. The dealer had it sitting outside uncovered for the past two weeks. The day before they worked on it we had 3-4 inches of snow. (did not care for that but what are you going to do???)
Yes! the unit would fire back up with no problem after it was warm.

John Gamba
01-23-2007, 07:53 PM
When I tried to start the unit it was in an unheated garage but it was in the 40's-50's at the time. The dealer had it sitting outside uncovered for the past two weeks. The day before they worked on it we had 3-4 inches of snow. (did not care for that but what are you going to do???)
Yes! the unit would fire back up with no problem after it was warm.

I dont think your pulling the chock back enough once it broke in?? pull the air cleaner off and see. If it doesn't start pull a plug out and see if you get spark. Its best to have a friend help you.

Scagguy
01-24-2007, 11:53 AM
My Kawi 19 had 2 hrs yes 2 hrs on it when it began to run rough as heck. Took it back to the dealer and they found a bad coil. Was told that Kawi's have had coil issues. I have put about 300 hours on since then and have had no problems.

DJL50
01-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Thanks everyone

Just an update I went and picked up my ZTR today. Said the chock cable was burnt by the exhaust and was not pulling out all the way. I do notice the chock comes out a lot farther than it did. What I cant understand is before I took it in it would not fire on starting fluid.

John Gamba
01-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks everyone

Just an update I went and picked up my ZTR today. Said the chock cable was burnt by the exhaust and was not pulling out all the way. I do notice the chock comes out a lot farther than it did. What I cant understand is before I took it in it would not fire on starting fluid.

Thats not good stuff to use. Next time carb cleaner :)

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-24-2007, 02:55 PM

Did you wash it with water??? If you did, then you most likely got the coil(or something in the ignition system) wet. Next time it does that, let is sit for a day to dry out and you'll be fine.

sjessen
01-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Glad you got it fixed.

John Gamba
01-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Glad you got it fixed.

Same here:waving: its a great engine. I think its been around as long as i have:laugh:

J&R Landscaping
01-26-2007, 07:03 PM

I was thinking the same thing. The original poster said it would not fire on starting fluid either. That doesn't totally rule out the choke but I would look else where.

Sounds like a saftey switch issue or maybe a loose battery cable or conection some where.

Jim@MilkyWay
01-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks everyone

Just an update I went and picked up my ZTR today. Said the chock cable was burnt by the exhaust and was not pulling out all the way. I do notice the chock comes out a lot farther than it did....
Just curious, are you using it commercially or at home?
You should not have to be dealing with this at all, but deal with it you must.
Point being, these things, from what I understand are tough to get onto a trailer when dead.
Be sure and use it at home long enough that you are confident you won't get stranded at a customers site. Very unprofessional.
Also, check out the entire area where your dealer worked. Make sure you don't see something they failed to repair or that they left loose etc. It is amazing how a close visual inspection will reveal things they miss.