PDA

View Full Version : Watering Pine trees in the winter?

westcoh
01-23-2007, 02:27 AM
I did a job last fall that included planting several 10' Scots Pine trees. A few weeks after I was finished winter came a lot sooner than expected, bringing some harsh temperatures. Last week I went to check on these trees and noticed the tips of all the needles are turning yellow. Is this because they didnt recieve enough moisture in late fall?

This week we're also supposed to be getting unseasonably warm weather thats well above the freezing mark, and I was wondering if it would be good to water the trees now, and then make sure I add extra snow around the base of the trees to try and make sure it doesnt freeze?

Thanks for any advice.

Grassmechanic
01-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Sure sounds like dessication to me. When I plant evergreens late in the season, I akways apply a good application of Wilt-Pruf to them. Water them and apply Wilt-Pruf, if the weather allows it.

Guthrie&Co
01-23-2007, 10:05 PM
plants get extremly dry in the winter time due to the low humidity and the cold winter wind. a little water in the cold months doesnt hurt

Az Gardener
01-23-2007, 11:42 PM
I let nature be my guide. If we typically get 1" of rain in an avg. month and we didn't get any this month I water. Pines especially take up the majority of their water in the winter from snowfall and winter rains. If there is no snow or rains they have to get it somewhere.