PDA

View Full Version : Tooooo much weight!!!!!

FATWEASEL
01-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Had a fellow at work unloading some skids of pipe on uneven ground and on a small lift. Picked up 2 skids of 1-1/2", no problem. The other two was a 1-1/2" and 3/4", a good bit heavier.

FATWEASEL
01-23-2007, 06:31 PM
AAaaacckkk!!! Problems with pictures...hold on....:rolleyes:

JB1
01-23-2007, 06:35 PM
ye..ouch:cry: :cry: :cry:

BSDeality
01-23-2007, 06:41 PM
thats the easy way to do the underside inspection. looks like they put a new transmission in that thing recently.

FATWEASEL
01-23-2007, 06:47 PM
thats the easy way to do the underside inspection. looks like they put a new transmission in that thing recently.

That's not a new transmission, that's a new forklift.:laugh: They dirty up pretty quick.

He was lucky that he had his seat belt on or he would have been thrown into the mast. He's even luckier that the forks or the skids didn't let go until they got it lowered with another lift.

Look Ma! No wheels!!!:hammerhead:

Enjoy!

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
01-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Ouch, you got lucky no big damage or the worst case scenario.

FATWEASEL
01-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Ouch, you got lucky no big damage or the worst case scenario.

I WAS lucky! I was at home that day! Otherwise, I would have probably had to help clean that crap up!:laugh: :cool2:

tthomass
01-23-2007, 08:34 PM
I've been there with a compact Lull........hydraulics went out and I started tipping.......no way to stop, just hold on for the ride. Its a story at least haha.

DBL
01-23-2007, 08:40 PM
lower the load and level the fork lift out

FATWEASEL
01-23-2007, 09:38 PM
lower the load and level the fork lift out

He was already tilted all the way back. He had backed up making a 90* turn and started rolling forward in loose gravel when the @ss end started coming off the ground. He tapped his brake :hammerhead: but it would have been too late anyway. No hydraulics THAT fast unless the hose burst.:)

He probably should have known the back end was light when he started picking it up but we've all done it a thousand times. Unfortunately, it's expected to get the job done QUICKLY until something like this happens. THEN, you get the, "What were you thinking. You know that's not safe. You should have known better. I'm sorry but we're going to have to make an example out of you, mister!".

Contributing factors that could have been avoided: 1. He was sent to do the job with the wrong equipment. Should have used someone with a heavier lift. 2. The trailer was parked in the gravel. Again, the bigger lifts are dually front axles and 4 prong that can handle the uneven ground. 3. He was not familiar with the weight of the pallets and they are not clearly marked (2 identically wrapped pallets but one can weigh 2x as much as the other.

Know your comfort zone. Sometimes, you just gotta say "Hey, I don't feel comfortable doing this job. I'm afraid I might screw up something or get hurt."

:)

josh1981
01-23-2007, 11:05 PM
wow thats crazy.. problly didnt break much its a toyota, lol.

toyota FTW!!

glad no one got hurt.

FATWEASEL
01-24-2007, 12:00 AM
wow thats crazy.. problly didnt break much its a toyota, lol.

toyota FTW!!

glad no one got hurt.

That series Toyota is VERY tough.:weightlifter: Those lifts get driven at least 20 hours a day EVERY day of the year. I drive that lift in the picture alot and it hasn't missed a beat. On an average day, I would bet it is shifted from forward to reverse and back, spinning tires, flooring it, at least...geez man...at least 2000-2500 times a day. It is rare during a 3 year lease that they ever have tranny problems. If it's in the shop, its for oil, filters, tires, or headlights to get changed.

I wish an automobile tranny could stand up to that kind of abuse. And this is on a lift that weighs about the same as my Dodge 2500.:dizzy:

josh1981
01-24-2007, 01:08 AM
That series Toyota is VERY tough.:weightlifter: Those lifts get driven at least 20 hours a day EVERY day of the year. I drive that lift in the picture alot and it hasn't missed a beat. On an average day, I would bet it is shifted from forward to reverse and back, spinning tires, flooring it, at least...geez man...at least 2000-2500 times a day. It is rare during a 3 year lease that they ever have tranny problems. If it's in the shop, its for oil, filters, tires, or headlights to get changed.

I wish an automobile tranny could stand up to that kind of abuse. And this is on a lift that weighs about the same as my Dodge 2500.:dizzy:

wow, 2500 times a day? geez.

Yea everything toyota makes is good. I have a corolla LE 2006- not a single problem yet. Only things that went wrong is back pillar fell off (cheap screws holding it in place cracked) and I have to check about a recall (sometimes my car starts a little hard after warmed up- but always starts). Car has been very good to me. Going on 22K miles now. I have beat on it a little before too :laugh: Hey gotta see what it can do :laugh:

Side note- we have those forklifts at my former place of employment- have seeen them in action- very impressed..

Glad they are holding up well for you! :)

FATWEASEL
01-24-2007, 01:58 AM
You know, actually I just realized I was figuring transmission shifts for a 12 hour period. You can double that number....4000 to 5000 shifts per day.

Haha, while I was ciphering and all:) ....I figured that I now have about 27,000 forklift hours under my belt and have hauled in excess of 1,100,000 skids.....and where has that got me, you ask? NO WHERE!!! I've made somebody rich, just not me.:drinkup:

josh1981
01-24-2007, 12:46 PM
You know, actually I just realized I was figuring transmission shifts for a 12 hour period. You can double that number....4000 to 5000 shifts per day.

Haha, while I was ciphering and all:) ....I figured that I now have about 27,000 forklift hours under my belt and have hauled in excess of 1,100,000 skids.....and where has that got me, you ask? NO WHERE!!! I've made somebody rich, just not me.:drinkup:

wow thats a lot of shifts! and a lot of hours, haha.

so you work in a warehouse?

I use too. still employed there but been on call 2 months about. looking for something else. :)

grass_cuttin_fool
01-24-2007, 01:08 PM
I wouldnt have thought that pipe would of been that heavy but.............
I wonder what rating that forklift was?

wayne

corey4671
01-24-2007, 06:07 PM
when I worked at the local farmers co-op way back in the day, we used to get these bundles of 25ft utility poles cause everybody and their brother was putting up doublewides and the electric company charged an arma nd a leg for those poles for the meter..anyway..we got a load in one day that had been out in the rain for a while and they were REALL heavy...making the loader tiptoe...so we had this rather..hmm..LARGE fellow who worked in the warehouse...we persuded him to sit on the back of the loader for counter weight...well...everything was going great until we hit a pothole in the parking lot...the poles slid forward on the forks and threw the back end of the loader in the air along with big boy...it launched him OVER the loader onto the pile of poles...AMAZINGLY..we got up and walked off...nary a scratch..just made me think of that and laugh when I saw this picture

FATWEASEL
01-24-2007, 06:16 PM
wow thats a lot of shifts! and a lot of hours, haha.

so you work in a warehouse?

I use too. still employed there but been on call 2 months about. looking for something else. :)

Yeah, I work in a shipping department. Trying to figure out a way to just walk away. The money is really good so that comfort level and security are there but things are changing and I need an exit plan.

The mowing is a side job. I don't neeeed the money but I like the independence that mowing and landscaping offers. I've got a screwed up schedule so it's near impossible to build the business enough to walk away from my current J.O.B. I'd like to build up enough in savings to supplement money from a landscape/lawncare business for at least a year and then just go at it wide open throttle.

Andy

sea ox
01-24-2007, 06:27 PM
i run a forklift too.. but moving something a little different...

FATWEASEL
01-24-2007, 06:28 PM
I wouldnt have thought that pipe would of been that heavy but.............
I wonder what rating that forklift was?

wayne

It's a 6500 lb lift with I think about a 2900 lb lift rating. Pallets of pipe and fittings can be deceptively heavy. We've got some brass fitting/cts pallets where the actual area of the boxes are 4'L x 3.5'W x 3'T that way 1900 lbs.

I wish I had a video of a stock trailer that I dropped one day. Actually, I had parked a trailer, unhooked, and had pulled out and started to grab another trailer when I saw something moving towards me out of the corner of my eye. I looked around and see the trailer coming at me and then I realized that the landing gear had folded up underneath it and the whole thing came crashing down on to concrete with about 30-40,000 lbs of stock inside.:cool2: Sounded like a ton of dynamite went off!:dizzy:

FATWEASEL
01-24-2007, 06:29 PM
i run a forklift too.. but moving something a little different...

Hehe, how many of those have you dropped?:weightlifter:

josh1981
01-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I work in a shipping department. Trying to figure out a way to just walk away. The money is really good so that comfort level and security are there but things are changing and I need an exit plan.

The mowing is a side job. I don't neeeed the money but I like the independence that mowing and landscaping offers. I've got a screwed up schedule so it's near impossible to build the business enough to walk away from my current J.O.B. I'd like to build up enough in savings to supplement money from a landscape/lawncare business for at least a year and then just go at it wide open throttle.

Andy

good luck witht he mowing business. I would LOVE to do it, but dontr want to kill myself and summer heat down here is terrible.

FATWEASEL
01-24-2007, 10:58 PM
good luck witht he mowing business. I would LOVE to do it, but dontr want to kill myself and summer heat down here is terrible.

Thanks! Ya know, I lived in Atlanta for a little over 3 years but the heat never bothered me down there. Seems like NC gets more humidity. I don't know. You've got Lake Lanier at your back door though, right? Get hot? Take a dip!:)

I went tubing out there a few times and had a blast, even with my friends sadistic dad piloting the boat! I really think he was trying to drown one of us.:laugh:

josh1981
01-25-2007, 03:00 AM
Thanks! Ya know, I lived in Atlanta for a little over 3 years but the heat never bothered me down there. Seems like NC gets more humidity. I don't know. You've got Lake Lanier at your back door though, right? Get hot? Take a dip!:)

I went tubing out there a few times and had a blast, even with my friends sadistic dad piloting the boat! I really think he was trying to drown one of us.:laugh:

Yea no prob :)

Well im from northern NY, southerner for lil over 2 yrs now.. so im still not use to the heat and stuff yet. But better then I was!

yes lake lanier in my backyard. 2 min drive, 5-10 min walk :) I can see it from my bedroom window! Our whole subdivision is on it.

Hmm I might have to get a ski doo! :laugh:

Ill post some pictures of the neighborhood and stuff later. Keep an eye out for them! :)