PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong...

PurpHaze
01-23-2007, 09:07 PM
... with this picture? I'm sure you smart guys will figure it out right away. This ASV was cracked from the recent freeze and I had to replace the whole thing. :)

Remote Pigtails
01-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Did you go back with that solorain?

PurpHaze
01-23-2007, 09:31 PM
Did you go back with that solorain?

Yes, sort of. Installed a new one though because I had one. Nothing really wrong with this one and it'll be used as a backup. These planters are the only places in the district where we use them because each planter is separated by a lot of concrete, block walls and stairways.

Remote Pigtails
01-24-2007, 07:44 AM
I've used a few myself. The batteries don't las as long as advertised but they do the job. I don't know if you remember the old Dayni battery operated timer but we had a joke that you had to burn incense while programming it.

PurpHaze
01-24-2007, 09:18 AM
We've had pretty good success with the batteries in the Solo Rain controllers so far and usually get two full seasons out of them. However, this might be related to the fact that they're only used in these planters and don't have a real long run time. I'm planning on replacing all the batteries this season when we start things up in the spring.

We tried the Dayni controllers in the past and found them to be not very substantial. Instead of burning incense I preferred a 3lb. hand sledge. :laugh:

PurpHaze
01-24-2007, 09:30 AM
OK... Thought someone would get it by now.

ANSWER: No union(s) with which to remove the old valves. I ended up having to saw through the valve and remove it. First two lined up good and I was able to just install female adapters onto the galvanized pipe, SCH 80 TOE nipples into the valves and then glue them into place. This one was a bit different as it didn't line up for some reason so I chose a quick alternate method of installation.

WaterGuru
01-24-2007, 09:44 AM
So why did you not take this opportunity to install unions?

DanaMac
01-24-2007, 10:44 AM
My thought also.

SprinklerGuy
01-24-2007, 11:02 AM
Ditto.....................

PurpHaze
01-24-2007, 05:27 PM

Two of the valves had longer galvanized pipes and the top of the SoloRain would have hit the enclosure. PVC is easy to cut/break so if they need replacing again I'll just do that and rebuild again. :)

PurpHaze
01-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Was curious when replacing the SoloRains today and read in the instructions where the factory installed batteries are good for 10 years of normal use. So I opened up one of the bad replaced ones and discovered that they're powered by a single AA lithium battery made in Israel.

Wet_Boots
01-24-2007, 07:53 PM
Is it kosher?

PurpHaze
01-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Maybe it can't be used on a pig farm?

PurpHaze
01-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Just for your Kosher mind Boots. The battery is purple. :)

Hank Reardon
01-25-2007, 12:45 AM
Just for your Kosher mind Boots. The battery is purple. :)

Non-potable battery.

WaterGuru
01-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Non-potable battery.

:laugh:

You made a funny ..

Wet_Boots
01-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Hey, that battery reads tadiran - can it power a Persian flying carpet?

PurpHaze
01-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Maybe not a flying carpet... just an old rug.

PurpHaze
02-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Finished up on the repairs on the planter problems. We decided to install a couple of Hunter WVCs and see if the local vandals will leave them alone like they've left the SoloRains alone. Had to install the WVC-200 (2 station) instead of the new WVC-100 (single station) because our local Ewing hasn't started carrying them yet. In fact, when we went down to Ewing to order the WVC-100s their response was, "Huh?" :)

Dirty Water
02-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Galvi male threads into PVC female threads? Shame on you Hayes, you know better.

PurpHaze
02-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Galvi male threads into PVC female threads? Shame on you Hayes, you know better.

It was "wham, bam... thank you ma'am" time. Had to spend a lot of time replacing cheap poly crap that was used as sprinkler connections. :cry:

Dirty Water
02-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Ugh, Poly cut off risers are the worst thing on earth.

Its all about swing pipe/SCH80 and Marlex swing joitns baby. Why people don't understand this I don't know.

PurpHaze
02-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Hardest part of the sprinkler repairs was pumping out the holes so I could make the repairs. Lots of bark and roots that kept clogging up the end of the hand pump. Almost resorted to the ol' "Jon Holland McDonalds' cup method" of removing the water. :laugh:

Got to use my new Corona hand pruners though and had no mercy on the plants that were in my way. I need a BIG hole to operate. :dizzy:

Once the hole was pumped out it took all of about 15 seconds to install one of our swing joints. Couple of planters were so bad that I had to replace several nozzles downstream that were clogged. The two WVC converted planters were a snap with the remote though.

Dirty Water
02-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Thats one thing I won't miss, fixing the hard piped in 1812 that uses the bottom feed :)

Never did get myself a suck tube. I'm rather disappointed in myself actually, I really should have gotten one :) Oh well.

PurpHaze
02-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Ugh, Poly cut off risers are the worst thing on earth. Its all about swing pipe/SCH80 and Marlex swing joitns baby. Why people don't understand this I don't know.

In our case it's called "bidding one price based on the specs and then putting in cheap crap to make more money" syndrome of business practices.

Had an assistant superintendent ask me why we weren't getting what we paid for and my answer was, "No inspections and making contractors rip out the substandard and non-spec'd crap they put in."

PurpHaze
02-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Never did get myself a suck tube. I'm rather disappointed in myself actually, I really should have gotten one :) Oh well.

Cups and cans are cheaper anyway??? :laugh:

Wet_Boots
02-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Ugh, Poly cut off risers are the worst thing on earth.

Its all about swing pipe/SCH80 and Marlex swing joitns baby. Why people don't understand this I don't know.There were sprinkler systems before there was swing pipe. With poly pipe and brass saddle tees, a poly cutoff riser made sense. An installer would actually know the difference between brands of poly risers, and would hopefully go for a quality item.

Trouble was/is that this was also in the days that lawns were cut by a neighborhood kid with a rotary mower with unpowered wheels. Come modern mowers, and formerly secure heads are suddenly being broken loose. (and any home improvement show demonstrating cutoff riser use in sprinkler systems just makes me smile)

If you want an exercise in futility, try threading a funny pipe elbow into a brass saddle tee.

Remote Pigtails
02-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Finished up on the repairs on the planter problems. We decided to install a couple of Hunter WVCs and see if the local vandals will leave them alone like they've left the SoloRains alone. Had to install the WVC-200 (2 station) instead of the new WVC-100 (single station) because our local Ewing hasn't started carrying them yet. In fact, when we went down to Ewing to order the WVC-100s their response was, "Huh?" :)

Purphaze-what kind or range do you get with those WVC? If you were inside a house would it work? Between you and repairs i may have solved one of my bigger headaches.

PurpHaze
02-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Purphaze-what kind or range do you get with those WVC? If you were inside a house would it work? Between you and repairs i may have solved one of my bigger headaches.

The WVP (programmer) has a range of only 100' and it depends on variables. I've had a WVC (controller) sitting on my truck tailgate outside the shop and controlled it from inside my office. Things have to be just right because of the short range. However, when it comes to having to open a valve box (or in the case of these planters, bolted screened cages) it's a valuable tool. Some of our WVCs are close enough to roads that I don't even have to enter a site (and unlock a multitude of gates) in order to change programs or fire zones to check them for broken sprinklers.