PDA

View Full Version : Fun with the weld-pak 100

LawnTamer
01-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Howdy all,
thought I might post some pics of some stuff I made last winter. I cut it all with an angle grinder and put it together with my little flux-core welder.

Some benches I made, the "bare" areas are clear-coated

A coyote bench w/ the moon, and a reflection of the moon

2 elk, I wish I'd had a plasma cutter for the antlers!

A horse bench for my mom, the "shadow" on the seat is painted

A sculpture I did, I call it "Pillar of Light"

These were a lot of fun, usually I'm just building sulkies or racks for trimmers and gas cans.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-23-2007, 10:08 PM
i love the horse 1 it is great now i need to make one thanks for the idea
what gage did u use for the horses

LawnTamer
01-24-2007, 08:37 AM
i love the horse 1 it is great now i need to make one thanks for the idea
what gage did u use for the horses

The coyote 1 is 14ga, the horses are 16ga, and the elk are 18ga, 16ga is the right thickness, if you can find it not blued.

Tim Wright
01-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Cool, You may have the start of another business here.

Tim

PearceLawn
01-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Wow!! They look awesome!! That is some nice work you have there. I want to learn to weld so I can do my own repairs and have some fun too but I can never seem to get the time to go to classes. I don't know anyone who welds either so I can not learn even in an informal setting.

Again,nice work!!!

KrayzKajun
01-24-2007, 11:36 AM
very nice!

LawnTamer
01-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Wow!! They look awesome!! That is some nice work you have there. I want to learn to weld so I can do my own repairs and have some fun too but I can never seem to get the time to go to classes. I don't know anyone who welds either so I can not learn even in an informal setting.

Again,nice work!!!

I never took a class, get a welder, they come with a "how to" video, watch it and start practicing/playing. I know I would have nicer welds if I'd gone to a class, but I've never had a weld break.

PearceLawn
01-24-2007, 03:14 PM
What type/brand welder do you suggest for a beginner? I want it to be useful too. Don't mind spending a bit if it means getting something decent I can use for a while.

SLC, LLC
01-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Wow - that is awesome. I might have to try something like that out. Did you cut those shapes out freehand?

coolbreeze
01-24-2007, 03:24 PM
all of those look awesome. how long do they take to make?

RedMax Man
01-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Great modern art, those are really unique. Have you sold any?

LawnTamer
01-24-2007, 04:01 PM
What type/brand welder do you suggest for a beginner? I want it to be useful too. Don't mind spending a bit if it means getting something decent I can use for a while.

As far as brand.. I'm no expert, but I'd go with Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart. As far as size/model, if I were buying 1, I'd go 135 for the Lincoln or Miller and 140 for the Hobart.
My 100 welds almost everything I need to, but not quite, It is rated up to 1/4" the new 100s are only rated to 3/16" not sure if they changed the machine or just the ratings. Just be sure to get a wirefeed that is upgradable to mig, if you have the $$$$ just start mig. A few years back a local welding supply co. was selling Miller 135s with cart and gas for $450. They had 10 of them and they were gone in a flash.

LawnTamer
01-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Did you cut those shapes out freehand?

I drew them free-hand on butcher paper then traced them onto the sheet-metal.

LawnTamer
01-24-2007, 04:04 PM
Great modern art, those are really unique. Have you sold any?

Haven't tried......what do you think I could get for 1?

LawnTamer
01-24-2007, 04:07 PM
all of those look awesome. how long do they take to make?

I can cut and weld the frame in about an hr, maybe 2. Cutting out the design can take a whole day. If I had a plasma cutter it would be easier. Doing detail work with the grinder takes time, but that is the part I enjoy.

RedMax Man
01-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Haven't tried......what do you think I could get for 1?

I bet you could get at least $350 for the benches and maybe even more for the person. Try posting one on Ebay... you might hit a gold mine. You could even do custom designs. How much do the benches weigh?

PearceLawn
01-24-2007, 04:45 PM
As far as brand.. I'm no expert, but I'd go with Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart. As far as size/model, if I were buying 1, I'd go 135 for the Lincoln or Miller and 140 for the Hobart.
My 100 welds almost everything I need to, but not quite, It is rated up to 1/4" the new 100s are only rated to 3/16" not sure if they changed the machine or just the ratings. Just be sure to get a wirefeed that is upgradable to mig, if you have the $$$$ just start mig. A few years back a local welding supply co. was selling Miller 135s with cart and gas for $450. They had 10 of them and they were gone in a flash.

I am gonna write those down and do some investigation. This would be a good thing to do while sitting and waiting for the snow to fly!! I always get such good info off of this site.

Thanks for the advice.:)

ribbie78
01-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Excellent work.

I think I like the bench better w/out the swirled grinder marks...maybe the pics just didn't do justice with reflections etc.

The painted horse shadow is a REALLY cool touch. If you didn't say it was painted I never would've noticed it; very subtle.

I also would be curious what you'd get for one on ebay, or find a trendy "Americana" store in your area like an "Amish Buggy" or any upscale furniture place and give the owner a small seller fee to sell it for you.

Keep it up!

mojob
01-28-2007, 11:11 AM
I am gonna write those down and do some investigation. This would be a good thing to do while sitting and waiting for the snow to fly!! I always get such good info off of this site.

Thanks for the advice.:)
There's a company on ebay that sells Miller 175s for $716 with free delivery. That's a great deal. I wouldn't go any smaller. You'll kick yourself later if you do. Spring for a bottle of mix gas. This will give you a cleaner weld as long as you're not out in the wind. A good size bottle is about $200 to buy and the refills aren't much more than the really small bottles. Like the other guy said, you can get all the lessons in the world, but if you don't practice, you'll never be able to run a good bead. Buy a book, watch a video and then go out and buy some steel and get busy. Soon as you start welding, the books/videos will make sense. Once you get a welder, you'll wonder how you lived without one for so long. Good luck and have fun.

grassmanak
01-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Here is a great deal on the Lincoln 135. It is a flux/mig welder. Good up to 1/2 in. Includes gas hookup as well. normal price for this is around 600.00

http://www.weilerwelding.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/MIG.html

PearceLawn
01-29-2007, 11:33 AM
There's a company on ebay that sells Miller 175s for $716 with free delivery. That's a great deal. I wouldn't go any smaller. You'll kick yourself later if you do. Spring for a bottle of mix gas. This will give you a cleaner weld as long as you're not out in the wind. A good size bottle is about $200 to buy and the refills aren't much more than the really small bottles. Like the other guy said, you can get all the lessons in the world, but if you don't practice, you'll never be able to run a good bead. Buy a book, watch a video and then go out and buy some steel and get busy. Soon as you start welding, the books/videos will make sense. Once you get a welder, you'll wonder how you lived without one for so long. Good luck and have fun.

I will be looking into it. I am already wondering how I lived without one. I pay a welder to fix something I have at least once or twice a year. This would solve a lot of problems and maybe I can get busy building some of the mods on my trailer I have been wanting to do.

Thanks much for the info and input. Appreciate it!!!

Skimastr105
01-29-2007, 01:56 PM
very nice... i like those. you have some serious talent.

nmez21
01-29-2007, 05:04 PM
I've checked back for the 3rd or 4th day in a row to see the pictures again and again;) . Very nice work!

ed2hess
01-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Yep good work, you got me thinking that it is about time to get a welder.

02DURAMAX
01-29-2007, 07:44 PM
That looks great!!....I like the horse one alot..

SLC, LLC
01-30-2007, 12:45 PM
it looks in the picture like you have the legs on those benches set at an angle outward from the bench in both the front and the back. is this the case?

i am just wondering if you did this to offset the imperfectness that a metal saw gives, uneless you have a metal bandsaw or something to cut with.

Idahopondman
01-31-2007, 11:24 AM
You should enter "the pillar of light" in that issue the "Ensign" does every year of photos, paintings and such. I think you would stand a chance of receiving an award.
Next time I come to SLC, I would be interested in talking to you. We get down there a couple times a year.

LawnTamer
01-31-2007, 03:09 PM
it looks in the picture like you have the legs on those benches set at an angle outward from the bench in both the front and the back. is this the case?

i am just wondering if you did this to offset the imperfectness that a metal saw gives, uneless you have a metal bandsaw or something to cut with.

The front legs are a perfect 90Deg both ways, the back legs splay out, this was intentional, to give the benches more stability in the back.

LawnTamer
01-31-2007, 03:12 PM
You should enter "the pillar of light" in that issue the "Ensign" does every year of photos, paintings and such. I think you would stand a chance of receiving an award.
Next time I come to SLC, I would be interested in talking to you. We get down there a couple times a year.

Yeah, I should do something like that; never thought of it before. Feel free to pm me, if you're coming down.