PDA

View Full Version : gas in crankase

matthewkil
01-25-2007, 07:24 PM
i seem to have gotten a little bit of fuel in my oil. how does this happen and will just changing the oil and filter solve the problem?

Restrorob
01-25-2007, 07:55 PM
You may have gotten a piece of trash under the float needle valve or the needle valve has gone bad (Has groove wore in it) or the float could have a pin hole in it or just sticking. You should remove the carb tear it down and inspect the above mentioned.

Clean the carb out with carb & choke spray cleaner spraying through all ports and passages followed with compressed air if available. Replace any parts that are in question (rebuild kit) then re-assemble, Change oil and go mow.

matthewkil
01-25-2007, 08:26 PM
the mower only has 65 hours on it. how likely is it that it would be a carb issue?

Uranus
01-25-2007, 08:30 PM
Ever hear of a lemon? You got a needle or needle valve that is a lemon. Probably made at 4:59 on a firday afternoon. If there's only 65 hours on it, it should be under warranty still. Go get it fixed while you do something else for the day.

lucforce
01-25-2007, 09:10 PM
My Money says that this is in your new Walker.

Restrorob
01-25-2007, 09:11 PM
the mower only has 65 hours on it. how likely is it that it would be a carb issue?

It only takes 1 minute to dump some contaminated (with trash) fuel in the tank and have it sneak past the filter. If you take it back to the dealer and they find trash in the carb. they will want to charge you for a carb. and fuel system cleaning and oil change. Warranty only covers defects in material and or workmanship.

lucforce
01-25-2007, 09:29 PM
If I am right about this being a new Walker: The gas from Colorado has been sitting in the Walker at the distributor here in Alabama for a time. This FUNKY fuel has made its way into the crankcase. Its not a carb/trash problem-Outside of the fuel being trash.

matthewkil
01-25-2007, 09:53 PM
well i have replaced the fuel filter, flushed the line and refilled with new fuel. i am hoping and oil and filter change will be enough.

Restrorob
01-25-2007, 10:01 PM
This FUNKY fuel has made its way into the crankcase.

If the float valve is working properly how would this FUNKY fuel make its way into the crankcase. ? Also, Isn't 65 hrs. long enough time to run this FUNKY/Mixed with new fuel out of the system. ?

lucforce
01-25-2007, 10:16 PM
1. The "fuel" has a different viscosity and density than gasoline and has different flow and combustion characteristics-Completely changing flow through jets, passageways, and past the needle and seat.
2. The improper combustion has the user running the equipment with the choke closed for excessive periods, the rich mixture of "fuel" of coarse making its way past the rings and into the combustion chamber.
3. The consumer and/or the retailer unsuccessfully dilutes the fuel in an attempt to correct the issues. This of coarse does not remove the problem-it simply prolongs it.
4. Let's now assume that the "fuel" was all burned out. The fuel in the crankcase remains in the crankcase.

J&R Landscaping
01-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Sounds like the "FUNKY FUEL" put a deposit in the carb causing the needle to hang open.

Well, hows it working? Do you still have the problem??

matthewkil
01-29-2007, 01:56 PM
it is running much better and will stay running. but at medium to full throttle it still sputters a bit as if it isn't getting enough fuel. now i am thinking that it is the carb and am considering taking it in to the dealer since it is still under warranty.

dhardin53
01-30-2007, 06:35 PM
float in carb is not set correctly. Its leting gas over flow. Its close enough to run ok but when you stop the heat build up in the tank (from siting in sun maybe) is puting pressure on the float to open and let gas trickel into the cyclinder. then leck into the crank case. Try instaling a in line gas shut off till you get it fixed. A good was to trash a new engien is run it with thinned oil. seen it many times.