PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Hoses

Green Boys LawnCare
01-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Anyone ever tried to make money by watering people's lawns - using standard hose and sprinklers? (not automatic sprinkler systems) I was thinking about trying to find a sprinkler manufacturer that would work with me to provide a variety of sprinklers that could hit different shaped areas, maybe even determine how much water they were putting out over a given area. I figured I could set it up in one area with a timer, and then move onto the next yard. Come back in an hour or so and move it to a different spot. What do you think? Any help/opinions is appreciated?

Without A Drought
01-25-2007, 08:40 PM
sounds like a major waste of time.

pg

PurpHaze
01-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Where are you going to find enough clients that close together to make a profit? Oh... they call it an estate. :)

Dirty Water
01-25-2007, 11:17 PM
I do it by the block. I set up by the nearest fire hydrant, and use a 4" Agriculture Impact drive to spray water over the the entire block, Looks just like rain.

Once I nailed an old lady and her dog with the direct spray. The dog is fine.

Never found the lady.

wwheeler
01-27-2007, 04:45 PM
There is a portable irrigation system call the Yard Camel (www.yardcamel.com) that would work for what your trying to do.
Its a complete temporary automatic irrigation system in a box with sprinkler heads included. I think with that system and an assortment of impact heads and MP Rotators you could cover about any situation.

ww

Wet_Boots
01-27-2007, 05:03 PM
When some drought restrictions were enacted with a "hand-held hose is allowed" provision, I had an idea of trying to sell greens-watering hoses and nozzles with maybe a QCV and key, but they were too expensive to really be attractive.

bicmudpuppy
01-29-2007, 02:05 PM
selling portables can be profitable. renting them might be but I doubt the market. moving them sounds like a good way to lose money selling labor. I sold a bunch of shrub rotors on stakes a while back. Installed .5 nozzles in cr500's on garden stakes. I could run 8-10 from a hose bib and then incorporated the home cheapo 9v timer that will run 3x per day. Builders bought them for new sod homes and moved them when the house sold to the next sod job. I "gave" away the labor to install them the first time, and I sold the hoses and timers at "cost". But, I managed to get $40/head for a rotor on a stake. Most houses took 2-3 systems. 20+heads at a profit factor of $25/head made letting the timers,hoses and labor go w/o profit just fine w/ me. fwiw, I was hungry at the time and labor was about 3 hours per system including getting the parts.