PDA

View Full Version : Mower will start fine, but wont stay running

ZaK18
01-26-2007, 10:36 AM
I purchase a used 21" toro personal pase as a backup mower...The mower will start just fine when primed, but after a few seconds it dies...the guy I bought it from said it was working fine in the fall, and said it was bad gas, so I went ahead and purchased it...well, I replaced the gas and its still having the same problem, Its got a new air filter and sparkplug.

Any ideas of what could be causing this?

mojob
01-26-2007, 10:46 AM
I don't know what type of carb it has but it sounds like it's not getting any gas through the primarary jet. It's starting because you're priming it. This manually squirts gas into the engine causing a rich enough mixture to support combustion. The piston moving through the cylinder will then take over and pull fuel through the carb if everything is working correctly. Depending what type of carb you have, you'll have to replace a diaphram and/or clean the jet in the carb. Order a carb repair kit for it.

lawns Etc
01-26-2007, 10:49 AM
That sounds like good advice I would take the bowl off the carb and give a good cleaning first and try, if the gas had ethanol and no stabilizer the carb could be gummed up

ZaK18
01-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the help :waving: I will clean the bowl and jet and see if thats whats causing it ...Thanks again

Dirt Digger2
01-26-2007, 12:50 PM
check/clean the fuel lines too...if it keeps shutting off it probably means its starving for fuel and if the lines are clogged it isn't getting the fuel it needs

J&R Landscaping
01-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Is it a Tecumseh engine or Briggs engine. The tecumseh engines have had feul cap recalls. I would do what the above people said, cleaning the mani jet should solve your problem..... let us know!!