PDA

View Full Version : a few maintenance questions

mike lane lawn care
01-26-2007, 03:45 PM
for thos who do their own maintenance on their trucks, i have a few ?'s for you. Is there a negative to using synthetic oil in an old engine(168,000 miles)? will it cause any leaks? and when changing the spark plugs, which i believe i have to do soon, can you replace half of them at a time? the reason i ask this is becasue i can only get to 3 of the six plugs through the dog-house in the van, the other 3 have to be gotten from removing the wheel well. I was going to take it to a local garage to change the other 3, as putting it on a lift makes it so much easier, but due to the insame amount of work involved it costs a lot of money, so by doing 3 myself i save a little bit.

thanks guys, i know that those questions are a bit weird.

LindblomRJ
01-26-2007, 03:57 PM
As far as oil - I think it might be a bit late in life to change to synthetic really no extra protection imho. Regular oil changes will do more for the health of the engine than the type of oil.

With the plugs I think I would wait do the whole thing at once. Might also think about new wires too when you do change the plugs.

tthomass
01-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Synthetic oil is much thinner than conventional oil. Therefore, if you have been running a conventional oil and switch to a fully synthetic you may get leaks. The oil being thinner will be able to then get into the smaller spaces/holes etc that conventional oil stops.

J&R Landscaping
01-26-2007, 06:09 PM
For the oil,
run standard convential oil and add a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer.

For the plugs, yes you should be able to change a few and then do the others a few days later. I did this on my truck in November when I realized the parts store sold me a few plugs that were the wrong size.

FIRESCOOBY
01-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Synthetic oil is much thinner than conventional oil. Therefore, if you have been running a conventional oil and switch to a fully synthetic you may get leaks. The oil being thinner will be able to then get into the smaller spaces/holes etc that conventional oil stops.

Synthetic oil is NOT "thinner" than dino. A 5W30 syn is still a 5w30 oil. No "thinner" than a 5W30 dino oil.

The reason syn oil might cause a leak is that higher quality synthetic oils have a lot of cleaning properties. This can clean around seals where a buildup has occurred. This can cause a leak, but it's not the synthetic oil causing the leaking.

Your engine will benefit from a high quality syn oil, but be aware of the possibility of leaking due to what I mentioned above.

lawnpro724
01-27-2007, 10:22 PM
I have been running Rotella 15w40 in my 360 for years now and its got over 110,000 and oil pressure is same as new. I agree that you shouldn't switch to synthetic this late in the game with that many miles if you feel you need to change go with a higher viscosity oil.

lubricity
01-28-2007, 09:51 AM

Viscocity is Viscocity, wether it is sythetic or mineral oil. One is not thinner than the other.

K&M Lawn Care
01-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Most synthetic oil is still mineral oil. Here is a link that is posted over in the mechanical forum that does a good job explaining oils.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

As far as the plugs go, it won't hurt anything to do it that way.

gibsonsg311
01-28-2007, 02:25 PM
With the plugs I think I would wait do the whole thing at once. Might also think about new wires too when you do change the plugs.[/QUOTE]

I agree with changing the wires along with the plugs. I have a F-150 with
140k, just put new sparks plugs in a few weeks ago and then yesturday it was missing when i was in idle and a few wires are bad. It would have saved me some time to just replace the wires when i had the plugs out.