PDA

View Full Version : Changed air filter, lost RPMs....now what?

Gbug
01-26-2007, 10:25 PM
I replaced the airfilter on my Husqvara 21", and now when I go to start it, the motor wants to cut out. The only way to keep it going is to keep it choked for a couple minutes, then it will run decently. However, even then it still has dropped about 150 rms below what it was with the old(dirty) air filter. What do I need to do?

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
01-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Buy a new filter,replace the spark plug, run fresh fuel thru the mower and you should be set.

Uranus
01-26-2007, 10:51 PM
were you really careful not to drop anything into the air intake? clean carb.

Restrorob
01-27-2007, 06:54 AM
clean carb.

Ditto that ^^^^^ The main jet is likely partly restricted and with the dirty filter was choking it enough to run.

Gbug
01-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Ok thanks....I've never cleaned a carb, is it something I would be able to attempt myself, or would I be better off taking it to my dealer?

dutch1
01-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Check the condition of the plug. As Restro indicates, most likely the plugged air filter has been acting as a choke to keep it running and you will find the plug very heavily carboned. I don't see many Huskies, but ones that I do usually have a 12H802(or similar) model Briggs. That engine usually has a Walbro carb and the main jet is in the bowl nut on the bottom side of the carb. Use a vise grip to pinch off the fuel line, pull out the bowl nut with a 1/2" wrench. Most of the time the bowl will hang on the carb. Clean the jet in the bowl nut and give it another try. On that engine, the governor adjustment is on a bendable tang and frequently gets banged into low hanging limbs etc. which can reduce RPM's as well.

Dutch

Gbug
01-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Dutch, its got the Honda GCV 160 engine. Would the jet still be similar to the Briggs you described?

dutch1
01-27-2007, 05:29 PM
No, it will not be the same as the Briggs. On most Hondas the main jet is in the barrel of the carb just above the capscrew that retains the bowl of the carb, You will need a proper fitting screwdriver to remove it and this is best accomplished with the carb off the engine if you do not have the proper tools.

Sorry to rush to judgment on the possible Briggs.

Dutch

lawnpro724
01-27-2007, 10:32 PM
A dealer will charge about $150 or more to do a rebuild but the good thing is if it still doesn't run right you can take it back til they get it right for free. Their not hard to rebuild and the kits a pretty cheap so if you are mechanically inclined go ahead and do it yourself.

tallimeca
01-28-2007, 09:08 AM
And what I would do is drop the fuel bowl. If it looks clean, no rust, water, sludge or building up, blow out the carb and run it. If still no good, put a new carb on it. Dont' bother with the rebuild. Like you said, if it doesn't work, it's a waste of my time and your money.

Carb for that Honda is around 50 bucks. Witht he labor of checking out the old carb, and having to swap it, you'd be looking at 100-125 on average.

However, i'd make sure it is the carb. Sounds like you could have a leaky intake gasket. Hard to start.......sucking air. Dirty filter made it run better .........like running on part choke.

If there's nothing in the fuel bowl, i'd change the intake gaskets first. They are cheap enough. Blow out the bowl and jets, slap it back on. If not, just order a new carb.

Gbug
01-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys for the help...it sounds like I might be in over my head, so Ill probably end up taking it to the dealer. If anyone else has any more thoughts on this I'd appreciate it.