PDA

View Full Version : Replacing wire mesh on ramp gate?

4curbappeal
01-27-2007, 12:41 AM
Do any of you guys know a ball park dollar amount on having the wire mesh replaced on a trailer ramp/gate? (6 1/2ft. x 4ft. approx.) I think I would rather pay someone to do it since I do not know how to weld, nor do I know a welder! I know of a place that repairs trailers, but would like to have a $ amount in mind before I call them on monday. Thanks!

goodgreen
01-27-2007, 09:15 AM
I had a whole ramp made for an existing trailer for only about $200. Welder did it. You should be able to get it done for under $100 I would think.

4curbappeal
01-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks Dan!

carcrz
01-27-2007, 10:59 AM
For that price, I wish I'd had the whole thing replaced. Just a sheet of mesh was $100 + the cost of sawzall & grinder blades & the time to weld it all back on.

HenryB
01-27-2007, 11:56 AM
I had a whole ramp made for an existing trailer for only about $200. Welder did it. You should be able to get it done for under $100 I would think.

Not in my area about $3-$400. I know crazy.

MOOSE
01-27-2007, 03:08 PM
I just purchased a 4x8 sheet of mesh for my trailer. It was $52 tax included. I had one of my employees replace it, he's certified welder. $40 for his time.

Check around or if u know anybody that welds ask them.

Markf
01-27-2007, 03:56 PM
We have the same problem. The mesh where the tires run up and down has collapsed. I was thinking of welding in diamond plate (for traction) but I am concerned about the additional weight. Any thoughts.
Mark

grassmanak
01-27-2007, 04:14 PM
the reason for the mesh is that it allows the wind to go through it, imagine a full sheet of plywood and trying to drive down the highway.

Uranus
01-27-2007, 04:17 PM
Well if your expanded metal is still on the gate your going to pay alot for labor.
Just for materials and labor to weld it on i would have to pay atleast $175. thats with prep work done by me.
Now if they have to tear off old metal, grind down old weld and replace. I would guess $250

Matts lawn care
01-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Why not just put angle iron cross members where the wheel tracks are like this.

MOOSE
01-27-2007, 06:11 PM
We have the same problem. The mesh where the tires run up and down has collapsed.
Mark

You don't have supports on gate where u drive your equipment. I would add supports where it is collapsed. I did that before we put trailer into action. Trailer builders just throw a couple on there. That is something to always check.

BTLS
01-27-2007, 06:25 PM
excellent advice on adding support- i'm buying a mesh trailer this week and will have supports added. Man, i'm glad i read this post today. Thanks!- ben

stevesmowing
01-27-2007, 06:30 PM
the reason for the mesh is that it allows the wind to go through it, imagine a full sheet of plywood and trying to drive down the highway.

I've been told it doesn't matter once you star going 45+ mph whether it is mesh or solid since the mesh will act as a solid. I don't know if this is true though.

SpruceLandscape
01-28-2007, 08:12 PM
just bought a trailer with a 6' x 4' mesh gate, was used, but is just starting to collapse a little. I plan on just pulling the mesh off, adding two more supports, and buying a new thicker sheet of mesh to weld on top. This will let me go ahead and paint the new welds for the supports before the mesh starts to cover them. Just my .o2

Chop Stuff Up
01-28-2007, 08:17 PM
I've been told it doesn't matter once you star going 45+ mph whether it is mesh or solid since the mesh will act as a solid. I don't know if this is true though.

I've heard the same thing.

I go to mienekee when I need something welded, I'm pretty friendly with them. Catch them when they aren't busy and they'll be more than willing to weld something just for a few extra dollars.

NEUSWEDE
01-28-2007, 09:20 PM
My advice is this, take a 1 day mig class and find a used mig welder or buy a new one. You can get a good mig that runs on 120V.

It will come in handy, I have used my mig to fix so many things and fab up so many things that if I didn't have a mig I could never do and would cost me a lot to have someone else do.

just an idea

grassmanak
01-28-2007, 09:28 PM
i just bought a lincoln 135 today, bought it to fix the wire mesh in my ramp, install supports, build some trimmer racks as well.

dhardin53
01-29-2007, 12:36 PM
just finished building my 6'3" x 6' folding gate. I got a 4'x10' sheet of expanded for $110.

I use a miller thunderbolt stick wleder, I found a nice Due Mig at a auction with a full argron tank and gages for $60 Love that Mig.

mesh foor will eat the wind just as bad as solid. That why i went with a folded gate.

Total.Lawn.Care
01-29-2007, 12:41 PM
In my area, the thicker Expanded Metal woudl run about $65 for a 5X10 sheet, then figure on about $75 per hour labor for the trailer shop. So I could easily see it in the neighborhood of $150, before adding extra supports.

4curbappeal
01-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Thank you!

Guthrie&Co
01-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Neuswede,
There is no way of the face of the planet that you can learn how to weld properly in a one day class. I have been welding since 2000 and still dont know everything about it and i can weld pretty damn good.
Markf
Be sure you get steel diamond plate. It is impossible to weld steel and aluminium together.

muddstopper
01-30-2007, 01:43 AM
I am also going to suggest you dont weld all the way across, side to side or top to bottom, at one time. Even spot welding the wire mesh will warp the ramp frame. Start in the middle of the mesh and work your way to the outside edges. This will keep the mesh tight and flat on the frame. Make spot welds about 6 inches apart working in an + pattern, alternating between top and bottom and left and right so the metal doesnt get to hot and you will limit warping.

mowisme
03-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Been welding 30 years..you need 'time' and 'practice' and 'experience' to get to be good at it. You can learn to get by with simple welding..maybe with 10+ hours use but remember that even though the metal appears welded..if not done right it could come apart with good jolt or viberation going down road. with experience you learn the heat ranges verses speed of wire..you learn heat range to penetrate the thickness of steel. You also learn where to weld for best strength. Their are better patterns to use for certain types of welding pending on what it is thats being welded. also vertical welding takes time to learn how to do as the metal flows differant than when welding horizontal. I try to weld most things at 45 degrees..gets nice smooth welds. You also need to grind angles at edges being welded to get good penetration..on some applications. Guess it boils down to this: Don't try and build a high risk structure with 1-2 days experience..but jump right in and 'practice' and go ahead and build stuff if not really a dangerouss thing if weld does come apart. you need to 'weld' to get the experience. P.S. buy a 'used' namebrand welder before buying a 'new' cheap one ( harbor frieght-chicago elec,ect..) and I'd buy min. of 135 amp and 220 volt. (use gas with wire- better weld than flux wire) and..those old 20 year old Lincoln 225 welders are great stick welders to use- and cheap to buy. Try to find one thou with AC/DC if can. Geno