PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine light coming on?

Mickhippy
01-27-2007, 03:15 AM
Was hoping some might be able to help me.
04 SuperZ 28efi

Heres the story...
The other day I was mowing this property near my home and am able to drive the SZ to the property. I was almost finished and a storm came over and belted down, mower and I both got soaked but the SZ didnt miss a beat. While I was driving away the SZ started to miss and almost stall. Then a little later as I was on the road side the engine cut off all together. I left it for a minute (cursing and stressing about how Im gonna get it home) and it started right up and idled with a miss or 2. It did this the 200meters home, but it got me home.
I have never had trouble running it in the rain before but it may be a factor!

Because of the rain I assumed that it may of sucked in a bit of spray from the wet lawn into the air intake and clog the filter. The filter was getting old and looked pretty dirty so I replaced it.

So today I replaced the filter and the machine starts up and idles fine except for the occasional miss but once warm it runs fine. I mowed my 3 and neighbors 2 acres this arvo and didnt miss a beat.
I also sprayed all wiring and points etc with wd40 type stuff.

Problem is, the "Check Engine" light is coming on and off. Why would it be doing this if the engine is running fine (by the sounds). Is there like a reset or something?
I bought a new fuel filter (was due anyway but thought may be a cause) as well but not sure how to get the clamps off the line. Any tricks to replacing a $140 fuel filter? Surely I dont have to cut anything?

Any help ASAP would be great!:drinkup:

Mickhippy
01-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Can delete this thread if you like PJ!

I took it to dealer and they found a loose wire and dirt in some connections!

Running well again!

mowerconsultant
02-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Ok.
Good to know.
What connections did they find a issue with?

Mickhippy
02-06-2007, 03:16 AM
All of them had some dirt/dust and a bit of grass in them. I will just check them more often and give them a clean every now and then.
The loose wire (hmmmm) a red one I think. Power I believe! Just the little metal connector thing came off very easily when checking for dirt etc. Sorry cant be more technical than that!

Fuel pump stopped working yesterday. Took it to dealer and got a new one under warranty this morning with no problem. Still, getting literally tired (have to get up real early to miss the traffic) of the long drive up to dealers though. Hope thats the end of it! I am getting very well looked after though but starting to loose faith in the machine.