PDA

View Full Version : Throwing chains...

marcs
01-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Earlier this week I followed your advice and replaced the stretched drive chain on my DR Mower, and adjusted the tension appropriately. Within in an hour, the master link came apart and I replaced it. Surprisingly, 30 minutes later this happened a second time!!? Furthermore since the chain remained engaged on the drive sprocket, it became bound and caused some minor damage to the side of the transmission casing, as well as the reinforced transmission mount and the protective sheet metal casing.

The first time I assume that I did not seat the master link retaining clip correctly, hence on the second repair I ensured that it fit properly. The open end of the clip was facing towards the rear. Lastly, I've noticed that the link on one end of the chain is bent slightly, which I intend to bend back.

Maybe in my ignorance, when reconnecting the chain when it was new and not obtaining a positive seating with the clip, it then became bent when the master link failed. Thus when replacing the master link the second time, the bent link kept me from getting the positive seating that I needed.

If I had been seating the clip correctly, what then could be the problem? After realizing the potential damage a bound chain can cause... you guys get the picture.

Also, are there any 'tricks' to make the installation of a master link easier?

Thanks again.

khouse
01-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Sounds like you had the master lock facing the right way. That was my first guess. You can buy master links that use small cotter pins to hold it together. I'm not sure of the size? Maybe #50 chain and larger? I would just try another master that is a different brand. Good luck