PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Pricing includes prep work????

newbomb
01-27-2007, 05:33 PM
I have read a number of threads about guys who charge $30-$40 per yard to install mulch and put it down in 20-30 minutes. What about the prep time to clean out the bed? Are guys just throwing it in over the existing mess? I can spread the mulch fast enough but it usually takes me a while to clean out the bed. Am I doing something wrong?

carcrz
01-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Are you actually cleaning out the bed? You should be able to just kill everything & cover it.

mgmlandscaping
01-27-2007, 05:39 PM
You are not doing anything wrong. We provide a Fall cleanup and Spring cleanup of all grass areas and mulched flower beds. So before we even mulch we already priced and cleaned out the beds. If you pick up a new customer seperate the price for new mulch and cleanup. Weeding, trimming, and edging are all seperate prices. Hope this helps...

mgmlandscaping
01-27-2007, 05:41 PM
On another note. We also will cluster our mulch jobs together so that one day we go around and prep all our jobs. Then go back and mulch all the jobs.

gringo gardener
01-28-2007, 02:21 AM
if i can freshen an edge with a h/h edger i do not charge extre ... otherwise bed prep and/or clean-up r billed out seperately/in-addition-to a mulch application

i use 4 factors to determine an estimate:
** pruning/shearing
** debris removal or clean-up work
** establishing/re-establishing bed edges (ie spade or machine work)
** amount of product needed

LB1234
01-28-2007, 12:10 PM
On another note. We also will cluster our mulch jobs together so that one day we go around and prep all our jobs. Then go back and mulch all the jobs.

We do similar. We try and line up all the mulch jobs (that are close together) on the same day. Two/three of us can knock out 3-4 accounts in 5-6 hours. Average 7-9 yards per home.

dKoester
01-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Cleaning the existing landscape beds is an additional charge along with edging them. And your not doing anything wrong as far as I can tell. Sometimes cleaning the beds will take longer, and the size of the wheelbarrow that you use matters also.