PDA

View Full Version : What would be a good plasma cutter for me?

carcrz
01-28-2007, 09:10 AM
I am looking for a plasma cutter that would be good for occassional use, but at long intervals. All of my metal working equipment doesn't get used very often, but when it does, it gets used all day long for a couple days. I know Miller makes some good stuff, but it is way more than I am wanting to spend considering the frequency I will be using it. Anyone have a suggestion for a cheaper, but decent quality machine?

mojob
01-28-2007, 10:41 AM
If plasma cutters are the same as welders, and I'm sure they are, then I would say you get what you pay for. I just bought a Miller 175 and it wasn't much more than those Lincoln cheapos that you see at Home Cheapo. I think you're going to have to pay for the duty cycle you're looking for. I've learned and learned the hard way that the extra money I've spent buying better tools is well worth it in the long run.

fly-4-fun
01-28-2007, 01:48 PM
I agree with mojob, even though you don't use it everyday, you need to look at the duty cycle of the cutter. I've used some that had a very light duty cycle and they were ready to quit before I was. You might look into one that just has the cutter, and not a compressor built into it. I think they are cheaper than the self contained ones. If you have a source of compressed air you could save some money there and get a better duty cycle machine. Just my .02 ......

carcrz
01-28-2007, 03:50 PM
The project that I'm getting prepared for is a snow pusher for the loader. I will need it to cut the different angles & bracing as well as cut the big sheets to the desired lengths. I'm not sure on the gauge yet as I have just started researching.

Are you happy w/ that Miller 175?

mojob
01-28-2007, 08:56 PM
I just bought it but so far I love it. The only thing I've done with it so far was make a cart for it. My next project will be to make a spare tire cradle for my dump truck. It's supposed to be able to do up to 1/4". We'll see. I bought it to replace one of those cheap little mig welders. What a piece of crap that thing was. I guess I got what I paid for.

jd270
01-28-2007, 09:31 PM
i really like the hypertherm brand for plasma cutters as far as migs go i have a miller 251 it is awsome for burnning 1/2 inch plate

Bigblue250
02-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Check out the Miller 375 X-Treme. It is the size of a lunch box and has some good power. It is gonna be my next toy:dancing: http://millerwelds.com/products/plasma/spectrum_375_x-treme/ Check it out.