PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki FB460V, no spark 12.5 hp help

don t
01-28-2007, 03:18 PM
I have the engine listed and I am not getting any spark from the plug, it is a new plug.
its on a jd 36 walk behind.
there was a new coil,and the 2 other mods, on the side of the motor, put on ????
still no spark
is there a way to disconnect, the safety devices, to see if i get spark ??
Any ideas. . Thanks

khouse
01-28-2007, 04:06 PM
There should be a plug right at the engine that runs up under the blower housing. Unplug that and that should eliminate any safety switches.

MowerMedic77
01-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Welcome to lawn site, if this is a GS JD 36 with the timed deck then make sure the trans is in neutral they tend to get knocked out even if it looks like its in neutral it may not be lined up internally. Good luck hope this helps:)

don t
01-29-2007, 04:18 PM
thanks for the welcome

still no spark, i unpluged the harness ??
do i have to jump the two?
its a older jd, no netrual
i also tried unpluging the key ?
still no spark

dutch1
01-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Have you pulled the blower housing to expose the flywheel and coil. If not, do so and unhook the kill lead going to the coil. Crank engine and check for spark. If you have no spark your problem likely lies in a faulty neutral safety switch in the top of the transmission. This is assuming you have a manual shift transmission. Unhook the lead that goes to that switch and with a volt/ohmmeter check for continuity when the transmission is in gear. In neutral there should be continuity. It has been a while since I worked on one of those and I may have the conditions reversed. In either case you should and open circuit in one case and a closed circuit in the other. If you have a hydro these suggestions will not apply.

Dutch

don t
01-29-2007, 05:54 PM
i will try that
this is what it look like

_CY_
05-26-2007, 06:38 PM
had similar issue on a Toro with FB460 kawasaki engine. NO spark... thanks for helpful info posted here.

tore everything down and reseated all connections with LPS. took care of corroded contacts. wiggles all connections. checked out air gap from coil to flywheel. measured at .010, magnets strong..

put back together and she started sparking... engine started on first pull. back to normal...

thanks for sharing...