PDA

View Full Version : tools?

moparman
01-28-2007, 09:46 PM
what tools should i get i need a complete set. where can i get one and how much?

dutch1
01-28-2007, 10:20 PM
I have my preferences on tools but you didn't indicate how much of the "long green" that you're willing to part with. The sky is the limit if you go the Snap On, Matco or Mac route.

Dutch

dcondon
01-28-2007, 10:50 PM
Snap On are great tools but your talking lots of $$$$$. I have always had good luck with hand tools from Sears.

Tadams
01-28-2007, 10:50 PM
I don't think you can buy a "compete set". I have been buying tools for over 15 years and I still don't have a complete set. Are you talking about sockets and wrenches, metric or standard, air tools, irrigation tools, plumbing tools, carpentry tools, HVAC tools? There are a lot of tools that you might need in the course of being a man, husband, father, LCO, do-it-youselfer.

All this considered, you can go down to Sears and buy one of their tool sets that will set you back a couple hundred bucks. They are pretty good tools for the price. The more you try to work on and fix stuff yourself, the more tools you will have to buy. I have tools in my building, garage, my dad's house, and in both trucks. Ya never can have too many tools.

Oh, one more thing- if ya let someone "borrow" a tool, make sure you write the person's name down and what tool they "borrowed" so when you go to look for that tool when you need it, you know who to call up because they "forgot" that they had it.

Uranus
01-28-2007, 11:00 PM
I bought a set from sears too. Nothing wrong with craftsman hand tools. I think I started off with a 260 piece set. You'll just have to by a 15/16 wrench and socket if you use that size to get your blades off. I went a few days after christmas and got stuff real cheap. Dont forget to get a good set in a case for your truck. Make user you get a travel set with screwdrivers, adjustable wrench, and alen wrenches. You may find you need a tork set too.

don t
01-29-2007, 09:41 PM
this is a nice set
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id=100022689&cm_mmc=CJ-_-shopping_com-_-D25X-_-100022689&BV_SessionID=@@@@0644352031.1170124562@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdaddkddjgfddcgelceffdfgidgml.0&aid=10368321&pid=1319015&cj=1&cpncode=08-21235813-2&srccode=cii_13736960

here is a set on ebay for 330.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-in-box-husky-pro-338-pc-piece-mechanics-tool-set_W0QQitemZ320075180402QQihZ011QQcategoryZ23782QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

check this out, its might be near you
http://cgi.ebay.com/HUSKY-PRO-TOOL-BOX_W0QQitemZ200071729388QQihZ010QQcategoryZ23782QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

dhardin53
01-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Im going to guess your in the mowing business, and you should allready have the basic tools ok?
But for a repair guy fixing mower i would say the 2 best tools you need to invest in is a good set of pulley/gear pullers and a hydrolic press. A press to push out deck and spendel bardings. Pullers to get any size pulley gear or flywheel off.

Id like to say go get the bigest and the best you can find but these two types of tools can range from way to cheap to many thousands. I know many guy pick on Harbor Friegt, but there tools are good enogh for many of the mower repairs i have found.

Bumblebee the mower
02-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Go to sears,join the craftsman tool club and buy what you need the most first. As your skills develop so will your diversity of your toolbox. Remember the guarantee of Craftsman tools. I hear from people I know in the industry that getting Snap-on to replace broken pieces ia a real hassle.

libby_arts
02-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Just go ahead and buy 2 of everything. Because it doesn't matter which one your looking for, it wouldn't be found. So, if you have 2, you have a better chance of finding one. Equally important, your toolbox will grow over night. If you are looking for a 1/2 you will be happy to notice that instead of 2, 9/16 you now have 5 and the 2, 7/16 have increased to 4. You will also see that most of the other sizes have increase also from the original 2 to at least 3 of each. Plus, the you will still have one left when someone steals the other one.

crawford_darrel
05-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Buy a good name set that will hold their value and that you can get replacements easily. Go to a big city pawn shop and buy them for half price. then while your in the buying mood get a good box to put them in. Spend a full day or more making a special place for everyone you have so when it isn't in tha tplace you know it and go look for it now! Then don't loose or let anyone use them. Lastly give them to your son when you chase in.

Mark in MD
05-25-2007, 09:06 AM
I don't think you can buy a "compete set". I have been buying tools for over 15 years and I still don't have a complete set. BINGO. It takes a lifetime plus one day to assemble a complete set.

Sears is good, because if you break one, you can just bring it in, no receipt, and they'll replace it on the spot. No questions asked.

I like metrinch though. http://www.mitools.com/ So I have both sears and metrinch.

Get 3-4 pulley pullers of different sizes. Get them now or you'll regret it later.

http://harborfreight.com/

You'll need lots more stuff, but that should get you started.

Ironic
05-25-2007, 10:55 AM
no set is complete. you'll always end up needing something else.
but whatever you do, resist the urge to buy "bargain" tools. chinese crap in particular. The will only end up costing you more, in time and hassle, frustration, and busted knuckles.

fixer67
05-25-2007, 11:46 PM
If you had every tool every made the set still would not be complete. I have a dozen or so tools in my box you will not find anywhere else on Earth. And that is true for almost every box there is. You would not believe how often you will find the need to make a one of a kind tool for a job and to make matters worse more often that not you will never use that tool ever again. To be a good mechanic you have to be part tool maker. So just buy what you need as you need it and forget the idea of a complete set. There is no such thing.